Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i sometimes use a fleece "throw" (folded double) between the layers. that usually gives me enough under insulation during the warmest months unless i'm in the mtns. just try different stuff. i always have some sort of insulation, even if i don't use it.
    p.s. i don't use down due to allergies so my insul. is always synthetic. i also have a breathable UQP that i use as a third under layer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Another furnace checking in with surprise and jealousy.

45°, without bottom insulation is pretty amazing. The down bag will provide some insulation. I hardly ever put anything below my legs until the temps get into the low 40s/high 30s because the footbox of my quilts do a perfectly fine job of keeping me insulated enough. However, that's just under the weight of my legs. Directly below my body weight I don't think it would do much more than a couple/few degrees boost.

I think you should try to recreate it. I have to wonder if this was just a fluke; certainly well outside the norm and very cool.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I have the fan in the window most nights this time of the year, that blows directly on the underside of the hammock. When the room hits the mid 60's I usually put a blanket over me, wrapping my feet. In the 50's I get up and close the window.

There is a huge difference between fan running or fan not. If the breeze isn't blowing you'll be much warmer. Foam pads don't breath. I wrap my heels with PlasticWrap lately, I've got some dry heel problems I'm working with, Amazing how much moisture you can trap on a piece of your skin you'd figure was mostly dry anyways, but there's a lot of moisture leaving my heels, now transfer that to the back half of your body and parts the normally perspire a whole bunch more then my heel. I figure that's probably a good deal of your moisture even without the high temps BUT get a little warm and it goes up exponentially.

But breeze makes all the difference too along with everyone being different. If you get a 1/2 or 3/4 underquilt and channel suspend it you could start out with it under your feat and as you cool during the night, slide it up under your shoulders. Normally I have something under my legs anyways so there would be circulation under them normally. But with a pad I figure I might have some cooling problems if it's not quite cool enough. Probably a pain to get up and slide it in in the middle of the night, will have to find that out too.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I got back from the Ohio Hang this morning, and I went sleeping bag only again last night. I slept like a log. I took my Big Agnes NI Air Core with me, but ended up not needing/ wanting it. I must be one of the "lucky" ones, if you count waking up as a sweaty mess "lucky". I will say that the low only got down to the mid 60's, and I had to keep the bag open all night.

I'm thinking I'll just cobble together a fleece underquilt, if only to make it easier than trying to fidget into the bag. Looks like it's gonna be a long hot summer this year (90's the last two days in NE Ohio)

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    I got back from the Ohio Hang this morning, and I went sleeping bag only again last night. I slept like a log. I took my Big Agnes NI Air Core with me, but ended up not needing/ wanting it. I must be one of the "lucky" ones, if you count waking up as a sweaty mess "lucky". I will say that the low only got down to the mid 60's, and I had to keep the bag open all night.

I'm thinking I'll just cobble together a fleece underquilt, if only to make it easier than trying to fidget into the bag. Looks like it's gonna be a long hot summer this year (90's the last two days in NE Ohio)
    You probably won't need to make a UQ if you have a DL hammock. Just put a fleece throw between the layers.
    A note on humid nights when it's hot out. While the 40's may have felt roasty when the humidity was up, a rain shower or boost in wind speed can alter that substantially without having the temperature drop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12