Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: peapod and WBBB

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips
    Posts
    109

    peapod and WBBB

    Has anyone used the peapod with their WBBB? If so, what do you think about the interface between the two?

  2. #2
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,189
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by pgustaf249 View Post
    Has anyone used the peapod with their WBBB? If so, what do you think about the interface between the two?
    I don't think that a peapod will work with an integrated bugnet. The work fine with a Traveller, but probably not so much with a Blackbird.

  3. #3
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,463
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by pgustaf249 View Post
    Has anyone used the peapod with their WBBB? If so, what do you think about the interface between the two?
    I have!

    Using a PeaPod can not reasonably be done with some hammocks. (Bridge, some RL/fixed netting systems)

    Among the compatible hammocks, it comes down to pros and cons and what your goal is. I have used my PeaPod with my WBBB, it is definitely doable. But because the net and right side "wall/shelf" can not be moved completely out of the way, I do not consider it an optimal setup. (the RL is not a problem, just close the pod under ther RL) On the right side, there will be considerable top side gap, where the pod is lifted above your body, decreasing the top warmth rating on that side.

    This is in contrast to something like a Claytor No Net, which has low "walls" or minimal "bathtub effect" and is narrow, allowing the pod to pretty much lay down in contact ( or nearly so) with your body for most of the hammock length. So I think this is more weight efficient, requiring less added top side insulation for a given temp. It is also not as easy or convenient to close the Velcro- due to the netting/wall right side interference. But you can learn to get 'er done.

    OTOH, there is more than one way to look at that. While it might not be as warm ( for the weight) on top, it is wonderfully roomy at whatever temp it does work for you. Sort of like being in an insulated tent or bivy. For colder temps, adding a summer weight TQ or even lots of puffy clothing can fill all(mostly right side) gaps, and then you have a super warm system combining the loft of the TQ with the loft of the pods top layer.

    So it is definitely doable, but with a different set of pros and cons compared to something like a Claytor No Net. And there is also the PolarPod, which I am sure would be able to drop down and fill those gaps even on a WBBB, or other wider or more "bathtub" style hammocks.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  4. #4
    BlazeAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,242
    Images
    113
    I have used a Speer PolarPod with the WBBB.

    When I am having guests I some times go to the nearby forest and use it as an extra room.
    Last time I did that I grabbed the WBBB instead of the WB Traveler by mistake.

    Setting up camp I realised I had a problem, but it being late I decided to try to combined the PolarPod with the WBBB.
    When using the stakeouts on the WBBB and deploying the mosquito netting, the PolarPod will only works as an under quilt.
    Not using the stakeouts and the mosquito netting on the WBBB allows you to use the PolarPod as it was intended to be used, though the netting lifts the Pod so there is a big interior room filled with air.

    I suggest you use a Pod with a Traveler or similar hammock.

  5. #5
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,463
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    I have used a Speer PolarPod with the WBBB.

    When I am having guests I some times go to the nearby forest and use it as an extra room.
    Last time I did that I grabbed the WBBB instead of the WB Traveler by mistake.

    Setting up camp I realised I had a problem, but it being late I decided to try to combined the PolarPod with the WBBB.
    When using the stakeouts on the WBBB and deploying the mosquito netting, the PolarPod will only works as an under quilt.
    Not using the stakeouts and the mosquito netting on the WBBB allows you to use the PolarPod as it was intended to be used, though the netting lifts the Pod so there is a big interior room filled with air.

    I suggest you use a Pod with a Traveler or similar hammock.
    Well there goes my theory! I thought maybe a PolarPod- unlike the PeaPod- would be big enough to sag down on top and overcome the WB netting on one side to minimize gaps, but I guess not.

    So, what kind of temps, did you use anything else on top to fill the gaps and were you warm?
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  6. #6
    BlazeAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,242
    Images
    113
    The netting keeps the Pod high, but I always use a topquilt with it so it really doesn’t matter in my case. (The Pod do sag down a bit on the side with no netting).

    The temp. at the mentioned hang was around 5 to 10 degrees Celsius, I used a HG Winter Burrow topquilt and I was more than plenty warm. The WBBB was staged out and the netting deployed.

    But this hang with the WBBB and PolarPod was a mistake. I intended to bring the Traveler.

    I believe the PeaPod and the PolarPod is intended to be used with an open hammock like the WB Traveler.

  7. #7
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,463
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    The netting keeps the Pod high, but I always use a topquilt with it so it really doesn’t matter in my case. (The Pod do sag down a bit on the side with no netting).

    The temp. at the mentioned hang was around 5 to 10 degrees Celsius, I used a HG Winter Burrow topquilt and I was more than plenty warm. The WBBB was staged out and the netting deployed.

    But this hang with the WBBB and PolarPod was a mistake. I intended to bring the Traveler.

    I believe the PeaPod and the PolarPod is intended to be used with an open hammock like the WB Traveler.
    Oops, I didn't see in your OP that you were using the netting, so then you were just using the Polarpod as an UQ.

    In case any one has misunderstood me, there is no way I can use the PeaPod- except maybe as an UQ or a TQ inside the hammock- on the WBBB while also using the netting. Because in that case the pod would have to go over the hammock's RL, and that ain't happening. If I use these 2 together, I have the net completely unzipped and pushed as far to the right side as I can get it. Then the pod can be closed under the RL, in a pretty much normal use. With the only problem being the net and high right side ("wall") of the hammock lifting the pod on that side. So it won't be as warm on top as it should be(unless you fill the gaps with clothing or TQs), though still quite warm for moderate temps.

    The gap with the WBBB is really no greater- plus only on one side- than it is with many other no net hammocks. Any that are wide and/or deep, will cause a top side gap that- depending on temps- will need to be filled with some other insulation. For example, even on the Speer hammock- for which it was designed to be used, there is a significant topside gap. But using that combination, I was OK at 10F after the addition of a summer bag on top, and a space blanket on bottom. I have been OK with that combo with nothing extra into the 40s and 50s. ( YMMV! People- and conditions like wind/wet- obviously vary greatly!)
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •