Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montreal Quebec
    Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Posts
    114
    Images
    8

    New Bug Net: Removable, No Zippers (Pics)

    Hey Gang,

    I found myself in a bit of a jamb last week because I forgot to bring a bug net with me for a three day mid Missouri Bush Whack. I had some spare material in my supply box and was able to whip this net together a few hours before setting off on our hike. I assembled an envelope measuring 90 inches by 36 inches. In the bottom I sewed in a cord channel that holds some mason line with a tiny cord-lock. There is a small gap in the top corners through which my whoopie slings are routed. The net snugs up against the gathered hammock ends to form a tight seal. The draw cord could easily by replaced with shock cord, but at the time I had to work with available materials. The net ends up as a soft seal type - the body of the hammock fills out to form the closure. I had no issues with bugs what so ever. Worked like a dream. If no bugs are around it is a simple matter of sliding the net off of the slings, and Bob's your uncle.

    Also shown in these pics is my new DIY 4 Season Man Cave Tarp which was made specifically for this trip.

    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    New Member Tobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    Posts
    29
    Fantastic! I've got to make my own bug net, and I've been fretting about how I want to do it. Your method seems pretty simple and straightforward. The pics look great and really give me an idea how to attack this. Thanks!

    I'm assuming that you can just get in the hammock, pull the netting down, and tighten the drawstring to a reasonable level of snugness from inside, using the cord lock?

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    ...I'm assuming that you can just get in the hammock, pull the netting down, and tighten the drawstring to a reasonable level of snugness from inside, using the cord lock?
    I think you only have to set the cord once. Slip under it to get in and the hammock spreads out to make the seal. I'm thinking 3/32" shock cord would work well.

    I am getting ready to make a net for my "backyard" hammock and will be using some variation of this design. The zipper I bought will go in the parts box now.

  4. #4
    Senior Member dukedante's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    369
    Images
    6
    This is very cool.
    So, when did you realize that you forgot the bug net? What supply kit did you have with you? I'm assuming it was in your vehicle and not your pack?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montreal Quebec
    Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Posts
    114
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Fantastic! I've got to make my own bug net, and I've been fretting about how I want to do it. Your method seems pretty simple and straightforward. The pics look great and really give me an idea how to attack this. Thanks!

    I'm assuming that you can just get in the hammock, pull the netting down, and tighten the drawstring to a reasonable level of snugness from inside, using the cord lock?
    The draw cord may be more of a psychological thing. I left the net wide open at the bottom and still had no problems. Ideally, the thing to do would be to put in very light shock cord with just a bit of tension and leave it at that. Simplicity is the key.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montreal Quebec
    Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Posts
    114
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedante View Post
    This is very cool.
    So, when did you realize that you forgot the bug net? What supply kit did you have with you? I'm assuming it was in your vehicle and not your pack?
    Suffice it to say that I was an idiot in thinking that I could get by without the net. Fortunately I had a bunch of materials with me in my supply box because I needed to make a few things for my son. Necessity is the mother of invention.

    Cheers

  7. #7
    Member Freelancer Tex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Profly
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    81
    great minds think alike! i was thinking about the exact same thing to do to my bugnet. i was going to run some extra shock cord underneath to close it up but to also have some tension on it. Like a reverse Hug net. looks like it works without the tension on it thou.

    how small can you get it?
    Tucker: So I suppose if you are helping us you arent as mean as I thought...
    Tex: I wouldnt say Im mean, I just get hired to do mean things.
    Tucker: But you like it.
    Tex: Well I think its important to enjoy what you do.

    -Red Vs Blue

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montreal Quebec
    Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Posts
    114
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer Tex View Post
    great minds think alike! i was thinking about the exact same thing to do to my bugnet. i was going to run some extra shock cord underneath to close it up but to also have some tension on it. Like a reverse Hug net. looks like it works without the tension on it thou.

    how small can you get it?
    it does work just fine without the tension, but it looks nicer with.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,186
    Thanks jspate61. I finished up my bug net based on your open design.

    I tapered the ends, rounded the bottom (shaped like an ENO Guardian BugNet) and added shock cord.

    It provides a little better bottom coverage at the expense of not opening as well over the ridgeline since the maximum opening size is smaller. Different, but no improvement over your original.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montreal Quebec
    Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Posts
    114
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Thanks jspate61. I finished up my bug net based on your open design.

    I tapered the ends, rounded the bottom (shaped like an ENO Guardian BugNet) and added shock cord.

    It provides a little better bottom coverage at the expense of not opening as well over the ridgeline since the maximum opening size is smaller. Different, but no improvement over your original.
    Totally awesome cool, man! Spread the word.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •