Hammock
    ENO DN

Last minute suspension for ENO DN needed

I bought my husband an ENO DN hammock yesterday as an early Father's Day gift - we leave for our first summer camping trip on Tuesday night. I wanted to surprise him with it once we get our campsite set up. At this point in our lives we are in car camping mode with a 2 year old and a baby on the way...

I have been researching the wealth of information on these forums and have lots of great ideas for suspension (whoopie slings, webbing from strapworks, ridgeline, etc.) - but at this point I need something I can buy from a retail store that will support the hammock (weight is not an issue). I opted not to get the slap straps based on all the information you guys h

Any suggestions for something I can get at Walmart, Home Depot, Auto Zone, or sporting goods store like Sports Authority. We also have Eastern Mountain Sports nearby.

Thanks!!

ps - don't tell my hubby, but the hammock is secretly for me since I'm expecting a baby and it might be a lot more comfortable to sleep in than the tent - not to mention my fantasy that someday we'll be a backpacking family all in hammocks...

Hammock
    WBBBB dbl1.1 mint
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix,DIY
    Suspension
    whoopies
    i've used tie down straps from lowes or HD ...I've used the the kind with the spring loaded push stop, not the ratchet....I weigh about 160lb fwiw

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    If you only need it by fathers day I am sure Jacks R Better, AHE or Whoopieslings.com can hook you up right. They are great to deal with and you might as well do it right the first time. They could all have your suspension by Wednesday if asked.

Other than that get ratchet straps for HD or Lowes
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Thanks, guys! I need it today or tomorrow - it's an early Father's Day present. Hopefully I can figure out how to rig it to the tree based on all the great videos...

I know we have some ratchet straps in the garage, and I forgot about our Thule lashings for the canoe...maybe I can use one of those...or maybe just get a new set...

I will order the other recommended stuff once we're back from camping so I can hang it "right"

Hammock
    ENO DN, couple DIYs, Dutch 1.6W Hex
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & CBs
    Watch this video by Opie. It's a marlin spike hitch. All you need are a 2 pack of straps from any hardware store or Walmart and 2 toggles (use sticks or hardwood dowels for a quick fix). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Yvvt39Luk

Hammock
    ENO DN
    I bought 2 ratchet straps from Home Depot - Keeper 15' x 1" with a working load limit of 300 lbs. and a break strength of 900 lbs. - is this okay? Hubby is approx. 225 lbs.

For installation, I am thinking that I wrap the long piece around the tree and connect it to itself (probably get a new carabiner from EMS tomorrow to be more secure than the current open hook attached to the strap?). I will connect the short ratchet strap to the ENO carabiner on the hammock. Then draw the long strap through the ratchet and tighten appropriately. Does this sound correct?

Zcobra - thanks for the video link (all the videos are so helpful!) - I have seen the GrizzlyAdams video on the marlinspike hitch, but I don't see how I can use it - I don't have an adjustable loop to go around the toggle like the whoopie sling...?? I will definitely be upgrading to this type of installation when I have the time to order the necessary elements...

Hammock
    DIY creation
    Tarp
    WalMart Blue
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njcampmom View Post
    For installation, I am thinking that I wrap the long piece around the tree and connect it to itself (probably get a new carabiner from EMS tomorrow to be more secure than the current open hook attached to the strap?). I will connect the short ratchet strap to the ENO carabiner on the hammock. Then draw the long strap through the ratchet and tighten appropriately. Does this sound correct?
    I think that sounds exactly correct. Definitely use a carabiner when you go around the tree to avoid any "surprises"
    "We're making art, not taking a test"
    -Willie Williams

• + New Posts