Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member Macchina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Where the double rainbows meet
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird
    Posts
    68

    Anyone use a Reflective Blanket (not "tin foil")?

    I have one of these "Sportsman's Blankets" and it's quite nice. I keep it in the truck for sitting on or emergencies. I just bought a my first hammock (a blackbird 1.0 DL) and am looking at keeping under insulation on the cheap. The way I see it, for Spring through Fall it appears most people use very thin foam which insulates a bit but mostly blocks wind and creates a barrier. Would a reflective blanket do the same thing or am I underestimating the insulation powers of 1/4" foam?

    I also have a few nice full length sleeping pads (Stoic, Thermarest, and a Nemo), would these be any better than a reflective blanket?

    On an even lighter note, anybody try one of these?

  2. #2
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,189
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelmcgo View Post
    I have one of these "Sportsman's Blankets" and it's quite nice. I keep it in the truck for sitting on or emergencies. I just bought a my first hammock (a blackbird 1.0 DL) and am looking at keeping under insulation on the cheap. The way I see it, for Spring through Fall it appears most people use very thin foam which insulates a bit but mostly blocks wind and creates a barrier. Would a reflective blanket do the same thing or am I underestimating the insulation powers of 1/4" foam?

    I also have a few nice full length sleeping pads (Stoic, Thermarest, and a Nemo), would these be any better than a reflective blanket?

    On an even lighter note, anybody try one of these?

    Those blankets come with grommets. You could suspend it on the underside of your hammock to use as a weathershield. Try some shock cord on the corners going to your hammock ends, then the other two grommets can be used to pull it in snug on the sides. My guess is that it might give you anywhere from 10-20 degrees of warmth.

    I carry mine quite often. Most of the time it is a groundcloth for my gear to stay dry under my hammock. Other times it is used as a tarp beak. When it's colder than expected, I use it to augment either my top or bottom insulation.

    At 12 ounces, they are a bit heavy and bulky, but they do come in handy.

  3. #3
    Member Macchina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Where the double rainbows meet
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird
    Posts
    68
    With the double layer feature of the Blackbird, do you think it would be unwise to put it in between the layers of fabric? Any reason this would not work as well as using it as an underquilt?

  4. #4
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,189
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelmcgo View Post
    With the double layer feature of the Blackbird, do you think it would be unwise to put it in between the layers of fabric? Any reason this would not work as well as using it as an underquilt?
    It won't work as well as an underquilt, but it will work. I have used my blanket between the layers of my DIY DL with good results. It can get clammy that way as it is also a vapor barrier. Without a sleeping bag using a TQ, it might get you down to the 50's. With a sleeping bag, somewhere in the 40's is not unreasonable.

  5. #5
    Member Macchina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Where the double rainbows meet
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    It won't work as well as an underquilt, but it will work. I have used my blanket between the layers of my DIY DL with good results. It can get clammy that way as it is also a vapor barrier. Without a sleeping bag using a TQ, it might get you down to the 50's. With a sleeping bag, somewhere in the 40's is not unreasonable.
    Thank you very much for the solid numbers. I really appreciate that!
    I like having a plan and numbers to go with it. I don't plan on hammocking much below 50 just yet, but in Michigan a surprise snowy morning is never out of the question...

  6. #6
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,189
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelmcgo View Post
    Thank you very much for the solid numbers. I really appreciate that!
    I like having a plan and numbers to go with it. I don't plan on hammocking much below 50 just yet, but in Michigan a surprise snowy morning is never out of the question...
    Well by all means, try it before you go taking my word for it. I'm normally pretty hot natured, but I also carry a decent bit of clothing with me in case the forecast was not accurate.
    You can tell by looking at them that there is not much R vlaue to them. The primary benefit is in blocking wind and reflecting heat back ( a slight air gap actually boosts the insulation quite a bit). With that Dl hammock, you can stuff clothing and other items on top of the space blanket for even greater benefit.

  7. #7
    Jsaults's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St.Albans WV
    Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc
    Posts
    1,509

    The general consensus I believe

    is to keep any vapor barrier (and Space Blanket is a non-permeable barrier) as close to your body as possible. If any insulation, such as clothes, down, polyester, etc lofts between your warm body and a vapor barrier exposed to cold air you risk condensation in that insulating layer.

    Jim

  8. #8
    Member Macchina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Where the double rainbows meet
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    is to keep any vapor barrier (and Space Blanket is a non-permeable barrier) as close to your body as possible. If any insulation, such as clothes, down, polyester, etc lofts between your warm body and a vapor barrier exposed to cold air you risk condensation in that insulating layer.

    Jim
    Would there be any benefit to putting an UQ under the reflective blanket then? How much condensation have you noticed while using a reflective blanket?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •