Tarp
    EOS Spinn Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    standard
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I think it is important to reference archived threads.
    I strongly believe in this. I'm a moderator on another forum and there are endless reasons why similar information should be kept together compared to spreading it all over and duplicating it.

It's not an insult to those asking, it's complimenting those that volunteered the information/answers.

I guess ignorance is bliss, I haven't seen much negativity, I can give some good examples of other sites that seem to thrive off of that.

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    As to threads getting shut down for negativity that has already happened. It is good to see that for the most part The Mods and myself are the only ones who have noticed the negativity. I do love the fact that I posted a thread about the negativity in threads and it got turned into a we love our Mods/Hammocks Forums thread. It reminds me "About the special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, maybe below the cockles, maybe in the sub-cockle area, maybe in the liver, maybe in the kidneys, maybe even in the colon. We don't know… "
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkerik View Post
    We are backpackers after all.
    I feel so excluded.

HF at its worst is nothing compared to some moto sites. That said, some folk do have a hyper sensitive offended gene. If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by thorwren View Post
    One of my classes last year was a "Cultural Diversity" class. We were assigned to write an essay on a subculture that fascinated us in this country. I picked Hammock Forums and the hammocking community. The camaraderie and support of each other, in hammocking and in personal lives, stood out. No matter what, everyone has a cheerleader, someone rooting them on, thousands of miles away, or twenty. It's a gem, indeed.

I got an "A".
    I've had some similar experiences. I was a freelance writter for a few magazines and wrote a feature in Brew Your Own, a beer making publication, about online resources (Nov, 2004 issue). A large portion of the article was spent crediting online forums.

There is some really great stuff here and I can't imagine what my hammock equipment would look like had I not found this forum. An occasional negative post, troll etc is inevitable on any forum and I think this site suffers far less than many. By far, the best medicine is to ignore those posts, something I admit is difficult to do sometimes.

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    I have to agree with the mods on this one. I think the best thing to do is not to ignore the posts but report them. My point with starting this thread was to bring light to what I feel is growing problem. As the Mods have stated with the huge influx of new members it is becoming increasingly difficult for them to patrol the forum. So the responsibility falls on the members to help keep this forum one of the shining gems on the internet. Keep is the key word in that statement. I think we all can agree this place is one of the best forums on the internet. I believe with due diligence from its members it can remain so.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would certainly like to thank the mods for their tireless endeavors. I generally haven't been a fan of most types of social networking because I do tire of the endless bickering, but I always find a happy place here

With regards to searches, I have found that in addition to the search tools available on the forum, I actually get a nice grouping of results from simple google searches. Sometimes I'll get a few results that are grouped under hammockforums, but by clicking the link underneath that says "more results from hammockforums", I'll get even more relevant threads that didn't show up before.

Just another way to harvest this great asset.

Thanks again, mods and contributers, for all that you do!

SN

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Go the Mods!!!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Sudden Blinding Revelation!

Could it be mellow here because we are all........

Wait for it...............

Laid back????

Jim

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    There has been discussion about this before. What I know about communication tells me that most communication is actually done by voice inflection and body language. Least is done with the actual words chosen. Research supports this.

So, we have to be careful with our words, because the body language and voice inflection are not part of the formula. How many times have we been sitting around a fire and somebody says something sarcastic with a smile on their face that taken out of context would have communicated something entirely different? We do it and experience it all the time.

Even though we have the little emoticons, we have limited opportunity to share more than our words, and they are oh so limiting. Gentleness, kindness, and qualifying statements go a long way here. We have done well with each.

Rock on folks, continue the good effort, just know that, at least for me, there is always much to learn, both in content and context. (Note the qualifier of "at least for me." )
    Revolution is about the need to re-evolve political, economic and social justice and power back into the hands of the people, preferably through legislation and policies that make human sense. That's what revolution is about. Revolution is not about shootouts.

Bobby Seale

http://www.riverjourneys.org

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    CCS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    Could it be mellow here because we are all........Laid back????

Jim
    Yes, when I first visited this site, I was afraid people would be "uppety" and "look down" on other campers; at the very least not be "well grounded".

But, I was happy to find that people seem to "rise above" the mudslinging. I assume that is because, at least from a tenters perspective, hammockers are very "high-brow" and (assuming good suspensions) have been "raised properly". Thanks for taking the "higher" road everyone.

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Wood Stove Review Project Thread - http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=46450
    Tracking Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...TZlVUtBNGQtU0E