Thread: Spooky Hanging

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    SuperShelter/Quilt
    not a hanging story.

Two friends and I did a really short hike to a tower that overlooks the city...as we got to the top there was a big roll of a plastic sheet. It was pitch dark and raining outside. I said to my buddies: "wouldn't it be weird if there would be a body rolled up in there", you know kinda mafia style. As we were laughing, the roll of plastic moved, then grunted, sat up and started yelling at us. Turns out it was a hobo that had setup for the night. Scared the crap out of all 3 of us (considering that in our minds that was a body, not a live person).
    MY TOP 3
    3. My Candle Lantern
    2. My Pocket Rocket Stove
    1. My HH Ultralite with SS

One night, think it was January, I was soloing for a weekend with my telescope on the AT in Massachusetts in a lean-to for a look at the winter skies. About 01:00 I awaken to a noise right by my head. I was half asleep and had no idea what to expect so I quietly find my headlamp which was in my sleeping bag and turned it on to two beady little eyes staring at me from about a foot away. It was a field mouse wondering what I was doing in his castle! He didn't even run until I yelled at him for disturbing my peace.
    I got back to sleep and about an hour later I hear a much more threatening noise. Something with mass was walking around INSIDE the lean-to. Now I was scared. I turned on the head lamp again and scared the poop out of the biggest raccoon I ever saw! Had to be fifty pounds! He was so startled he ran right off the end of the lean-to to a less than graceful landing. After laughing it off I felt bad for the poor guy. He was just looking for left overs I'm sure...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I was in the Catskills with me trail dog. I hadn't been out for years and this was her first backpacking trip. I headed for shelters on the maps since I was not carting a tent other than an emergency tube tent. I started to set up in the newsest shelter. A very nice raised floor abode when the dog started being all weird like. I looked up in the rafters and was about to set up under a sleeping porkupine. I decided rather than having porky slide down on me in the middle of the night I would move to the nasty dirt floor shelter. I checked that place out and got set up. It was going to rain so I rigged my poncho over the front of the leanto and settled in. Soon I heard a rustling at the poncho. I turned on my flashlight and pulled the tarp back to come within inches of a face to face encounter with a curious porky. That was an interesting sight... Up close and personal.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    It was late October and I was driving out to my favorite state park for an overnight. It's a 2 hour drive from home up through the Texas Hill Country, a sparsely populated area of rolling hills and Live Oak forests in the center of the state. The sky was overcast and the clouds were gathering for thunderstorms while silent flashes told of distant rain. At about 6:30 p.m. I was nearing my destination along a lonely stretch of two lane that winds along the Sabinal River valley. The woods and brush are thick here and line the road on both sides making a nearly impenetrable wall of vegetation. The brown grass along the narrow shoulder shuddered with the gusty wind and looked forward to the rain.

As I rounded a bend in the dusky light my headlights flashed on two figures walking toward me through the ankle high grass on the right shoulder. The women was tall and thin and wore her hair in a bun. She had a long skirt obscuring her feet. An old fashioned high collar blouse was visible under her full length brown cape. The hood of which was strangely unperturbed by the wind. In front of her was what I took to be a boy of about 10 or 11. He had on a cap with a short bill, a coarse dark brown cloth coat or jacket that stopped abruptly at his waist, and knickers. They were walking in single file along the shoulder and took no notice of me as I blew by at 60 miles an hour just a few feet away. I thought about how unusual it was to see anyone along the road out here especially since the nearest dwelling was a lonely ranch house about a mile back.

I had gone about an eighth of mile further when suddenly the heavens opened up and the rain was coming down in buckets. The wind was blowing the torrent at about 45 degrees and the visibility had dropped to 10 or 15 yards. As I slowed down to accommodate the new road conditions I thought of the pair.

Now, it is not my habit to pick up hitchhikers or any strangers for that matter, so it must have been my curiosity or maybe the severity of the storm that made me turn around and drive back to offer them a ride. What ever it was, I drove back to the spot where I'd passed them, but they were nowhere to be seen. I drove along for another half a mile searching, but nothing. It was basically impossible for them to have gone up out of the roadway as the brush and brambles along this stretch of the road were too dense. Even if they were running I should have caught up with them. There was no culvert or bridge here to hide in. It was less than two minutes from the time I first saw them to the time I turned back to look for them, yet they had just disappeared- vanished.

I turned around in the driving rain and made my way to the park another two miles up the road. I spent a restless night. On my way back home the next day I stopped along the stretch of road, but even in broad daylight I could not find a way through the brambles that my phantom pair could have taken. I have never figured out what happened to them or why they were dressed the way they were, but I alway get a shiver up my spine when I pass that spot on the road.

-Mark

Images
    Creepy! Welcome to the forum SloBro...

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Was you tired I have seen people walk out in the middle of the road when I was tired in long trench coats only to slam on my brakes and there be nothing there. This was an ongoing thing when I was driving trucks for a living across country. Same people same coat every time. I quit driving truck after 15 yrs but still love to drive across country to my construction jobs.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    Was you tired I have seen people walk out in the middle of the road when I was tired in long trench coats only to slam on my brakes and there be nothing there. This was an ongoing thing when I was driving trucks for a living across country. Same people same coat every time. I quit driving truck after 15 yrs but still love to drive across country to my construction jobs.
    I wasn't particularly tired and I have never had anything like that happen before or since even when I have been much more tired. I am pretty skeptical about ghosts and paranormal experiences, so I figure there is a logical explanation. I just haven't come up with one yet.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    A couple years ago, some buddies and me were outside of Damascus ridin' round drinkin' a few cold ones, just minding our own. Well, you know how it is when your drinking beer, sometimes you have to just pull over and pee. We pulled over, and got out, a buddy of mine stepped in a hole and was hollerin' at me to watch out for this hole, when out of nowhere comes this redneck crashing down through the woods and hollerin' and screamin' at the top of his lungs. We thought it was sasquatch, scared us to death, I peed all over myself cause I was in mid stream, stepped in the hole my buddy was hollering about and fell flat on my face. Finally got back in the truck and took off. From this day on, we never go out in the woods at night during trail days.
    I promise it wasn't me. I only DREAMED I went running toward the rouddys in the woods<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Hi this is my first post but I will try to remember what happen to my group and me.

It was about 3 years ago in September. I went on a lifeguard duty with a group of friends on Kusu island, Singapore. It is a small island with a chinese temple and a moquse. There were stalls selling stuff and food and a hut for us lifeguards to put our stuff. There were two lifeguard tower, one on each lagoon, which was on opposite side of the island. The only way to the island was by a boat which operates from 10am to 6pm. Everyone needs a ticket to enter the island.

September was a month where people come to the island to pray and after 6pm, there was no one else on the island execpt for us, who stay overnight as ther was duty the next day, and a few temple helpers.

Long story short, after dinner I went to the lifeguard tower away from the lifeguard hut and the other tower to set up my hammock. after setting up and was about to have my good night sleep when my friend ran to find me.

Apperently over at the lifeguard hut most of the guys heard someone calling for help and they did a roll call and sending someone to find me. When i went back, no one was missing and when we went to ask the temple helpers, no one shouted for hep there.

Our guys were positive that they heard a cry for help. So we all slept close that night taking turns looking out... But in the end everyone fell asleep.

Up to today no one knew who called for help...

Hammock
    Ultralight Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    Don't know yet
    Insulation
    none yet
    About 15 years ago I went to a camp outside of CO Springs, CO. We were to go hiking for two weeks. The camp had a traditional setup for youngsters and then there was the wilderness group which I was to take part it. I drive all the way out there from Arkansas only to find out the group I was in was cancelled because I was the only one to show up! I drove for 10 hours I wasn't about to leave. So I went out out to the base camp for the wilderness group which was about 1/2 mile away from the resident camp. It consisted of large canvas army tents on wood floors with metal bunk beds. The first night I was there with other people in other trekking groups. The next night I was alone.

It was a beautiful clear night with a full or close-to-full moon. I was in a bunk about 4 feet from the edge. I had left the tent flap open so the morning light would wake me up. I didn't want to be late for breakfast or they'd make me do silly things like sing and dance around the mess hall. I had been reading by flashlight and decided to shut it off about 10:00pm because I was getting tired. Shortly after I heard footsteps and rustling. I thought one of the staff was coming out to check on me. As the sounds grew louder, I thought it odd I saw no flashlight but then thought about the moon being as bright as it was, maybe no need. Louder and louder the noise grew until...THUMP...THUMP....snort...snort...snort!

I laid in my bag on the bunk and barely turned my head to the right to see a very large bear less than 2 feet away sniffing me as if I was some kind of rolled up snack! Appearently he didn't like the way I smelled so he turned and left. I was terrified...I couldn't move! I heard him go to the other tents as wells but it didn't find anything. I listened as he moved on and then I could no longer hear it moving through the woods. It seemed like 30 minutes or so before I finally got the courage to move. I check my watch at it was 1:30 am! I laid there stiff as a board only breathing and blinking for 3-1/2 hours so pumped full of adrenaline that I lost all track of time. I did not stay out at the base camp for the rest of my time there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast