Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 58
  1. #21
    gunner76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Beaufort, NC
    Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Posts
    5,855
    Images
    39
    So far I have not had any problems at any park camp site (state, national ect) in NC. If it is at a paid site and the Rangers ask if I am camping in a tent I tell them a hammock and they always mark tent.
    Merchants Mill Pond SP Swamp Hang

    www.neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

    Hammock Gear Time Line ..............Hammock Friendly Sites in NC

    I am 18 with 42 years of experience.

    Hammock Hangers...taking over the world..2 trees at a time !

    Warbonnet BB 1.7 and a whole lot of other great gear from the vendors on HF

  2. #22
    Senior Member bigbamaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE Alabama
    Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Posts
    2,426
    Southmark:
    Sorry to hear about the grief you are getting from the establishment!!!!!!! If you would like, I will go with you and do a group hang on the grounds of the State Capitol building in Montgomery. It might be interesting to see how many of the state leaders we could get out on the lawn taking a tour of our gear. Let me know if you want to try this idea out.........
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

  3. #23
    Senior Member southmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Northport, AL
    Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    697
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Southmark:
    Sorry to hear about the grief you are getting from the establishment!!!!!!! If you would like, I will go with you and do a group hang on the grounds of the State Capitol building in Montgomery. It might be interesting to see how many of the state leaders we could get out on the lawn taking a tour of our gear. Let me know if you want to try this idea out.........
    Thanks BBG. I hate to describe it as grief. There are a lot of other places around here to hang and each Park Manager makes their on decision based on the rule. I just had my curiosity up after Cary from Tuscaloosa who was at the Walls hang last weekend told of his friend and sons being asked to leave because they had hammocks. I have hung and slept in my hammock there before without incident. It seems to be all in how they interpret the meaning of "camping unit". I recall several years ago the story of a hiker that was beginning his thru hike here in Tuscaloosa (where some consider the southern terminus of the Appalachians) and when he reached Tannehill State Park they would not let him camp because he had a tarp. At that time I remember him saying they required a commercial made tent or rv to camp. I just posted this to make the community aware that we still have an uphill battle in the mainstream camping community. It appears that primitive camping sites in parks and campgrounds are a thing of the past.

  4. #24
    Amelander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Southmark:
    Sorry to hear about the grief you are getting from the establishment!!!!!!! If you would like, I will go with you and do a group hang on the grounds of the State Capitol building in Montgomery. It might be interesting to see how many of the state leaders we could get out on the lawn taking a tour of our gear. Let me know if you want to try this idea out.........
    +1 on this idea. I'm there, if y'all decide to do it.

  5. #25
    Senior Member eflat7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pinebluff, NC
    Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Posts
    1,474
    Images
    37
    You should go setup and demo your rig for them Show them the pros of hanging and low impact of using tree straps. Explain nothing goes into the trees and these aren't your grandma's rope hammock. You'd definitely be a hammock boss if you got the Alabama state parks to reverse their decision on hammocking. Represent for us and give those rangers some learning!

  6. #26
    Senior Member SpaceCadet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    300
    Images
    6
    http://www.alapark.com/parks/pdfs/Ru...egulations.pdf

    I see nothing about camping units. The only thing I can think they are getting this from is

    Section 1
    (4) It shall be unlawful to erect or occupy any site with unsightly or inappropriate
    camping equipment.

    I guess they are thinking rope hammocks which are "inappropriate
    camping equipment." Our hammock setups are 100% appropriate. You should print out the regulations and bring them with you. If anyone gives you grief ask them to point out the rule in the regulations and hand them the print out.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Law Dawg (ret)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Left Coast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    2,285
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    Section 1
    (4) It shall be unlawful to erect or occupy any site with unsightly or inappropriate
    camping equipment.

    I guess they are thinking rope hammocks which are "inappropriate
    camping equipment." Our hammock setups are 100% appropriate. You should print out the regulations and bring them with you. If anyone gives you grief ask them to point out the rule in the regulations and hand them the print out.
    This is written with so much subjective wiggle room that all the Ranger needs to say is it is "unsightly inappropriate camping gear" and you are done. We all agree that LNT hammocking is 100% appropriate (MUCH more appropriate than an RV), the Rangers may not though and with no clear definition of "unsightly or appropriate" you are sunk...copy of those weak rules or not.

    Not raining on your idea but as a former LEO I know full well how we can win with weak stuff like this for ammo. Getting the rules clarified is the best option in the long run...love the State capitol idea if y'all are ready to really lay on the hospitality and maybe even involve some media (politicos love that media). Mean time act like you own the camp spot and set up. If the Ranger arrives, invite them in for fresh brewed coffee and a granola bar while cheerfully educating them on LNT hammock camping. A and a kind word will carry us much farther than a .
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 06-10-2011 at 12:04.
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

    Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

  8. #28
    Senior Member bdbart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Posts
    177
    Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Southmark:
    Sorry to hear about the grief you are getting from the establishment!!!!!!! If you would like, I will go with you and do a group hang on the grounds of the State Capitol building in Montgomery. It might be interesting to see how many of the state leaders we could get out on the lawn taking a tour of our gear. Let me know if you want to try this idea out.........
    I smell a Group Hang in the future
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

  9. #29
    Senior Member SpaceCadet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    300
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    This is written with so much subjective wiggle room that all the Ranger needs to say is it is "unsightly inappropriate camping gear" and you are done. We all agree that LNT hammocking is 100% appropriate (MUCH more appropriate than an RV), the Rangers may not though and with no clear definition of "unsightly or appropriate" you are sunk...copy of those weak rules or not.

    Not raining on your idea but as a former LEO I know full well how we can win with weak stuff like this for ammo. Getting the rules clarified is the best option in the long run...love the State capitol idea if y'all are ready to really lay on the hospitality and maybe even involve some media (politicos love that media). Mean time act like you own the camp spot and set up. If the Ranger arrives, invite them in for fresh brewed coffee and a granola bar while cheerfully educating them on LNT hammock camping. A and a kind word will carry us much farther than a .
    I completely understand where you're coming from. As the son of a LEO i've heard my father have plenty of conversations about the specificity of the wording of laws. Yes, the ranger can use the wiggle room to slide his way. But it's also possible that he doesn't know the exact wording himself. Then showing him that there is wiggle room may work in your advantage. It's also possible that they don't know the regulations have been updated. As was the case a few years ago when Georgia changed the gun carry laws to allow carrying on MARTA and in bars as long as you aren't drinking. You'd be surprised at the number of posts I read of people being stopped by police who had no idea the rule had been changed.

    But in the end it is all up to the authority figure. And I could not agree with you more that a smile and a politely phased inquiry (add a sir or ma'am if you don't by default) go a whole lot further than being confrontational.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Law Dawg (ret)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Left Coast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    2,285
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    As the son of a LEO...
    You have my deepest sympathy.

    Aaaand you are absolutely correct about LEOs not always having the best grasp of all the laws they enforce (too many laws).* You will also get much farther with a kind word, a cup of coffee, and a doughnut than with a kind word alone!

    BTW if y'all do a group hang at the State building I am soooo looking forward to the videos and pics of that.


    * Many Calif motorcyclists carry the text to a newish law that allows us to wear hearing protection under our helmets for just that reason.
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

    Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •