KAQ and Toxaway Tarp for switchback

Hey guys.

I am about to pull the trigger on a switchback. I am not sure if i will get the classic double layer or the light hiker yet.

However I need to get a tarp and some sort of UQ. I was looking at the toxaway tarp. If anyone has any experience with that tarp and there thoughts on it I would love to hear it. Also if you think it would work well with the switchback. I have no hammocking experience but want to get into it.

I was also thinking of the 3 season jarbridge quilt. It seems nice and light but still provides a good amount of warmth. Does anyone have any experience with it? How would it fit on the switchback? How small does it compact?

Thanks for your help!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    I have both pieces you are asking about and I think they will work great for the switchback.The suspension on the jarbridge is universal and very adjustable so I don't think you will have a fit problem. I use it on my BB. The tox tarp is a really nice. Its 12 ft length covers very well and the cat cut sides tighten up good. It packs down pretty small. Bout' half of a nalgene bottle.I'm real happy with the quality of both. I will try to post pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by richtorfla; 06-15-2011 at 05:30. Reason: attach pic

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have the Toxaway in the car (with our other gear) as we speak...it will be in the Sierras this afternoon! Very nice tarp and I would not hesitate to buy another. Large enough to cover for wind blown rain and block heat robbing wind (if set up properly). I also have the Shangri La for warmer camping but the Toxaway is the go to for long trips when conditions may change.

The New River Deep Winter Upgrade UQ is part of our car camp kit (too big for moto luggage IMO). Quality gear and one of my favorites...perhaps the Jarbridge would be better for packing. The quality of AHE is top end and Paul will probably chime in to answer questions.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    FWIW, the Winter upgrade was about double the thickness of the normal 3 season insulation we use, so pack pace of the 3 seasons is much smaller than the winters were. Of course the winters could get folks to winter temps rather than the 30's on up that most folks camp in.

The Jarbridge is a much smaller and lighter quilt than the New River and the 3 season version packs to about the size of a bowling ball if you squish it down. They are still on sale this week but we are getting swamped so orders are running a bit over a week now so plan accordingly.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    FWIW, the Winter upgrade was about double the thickness of the normal 3 season insulation we use, so pack pace of the 3 seasons is much smaller than the winters were. Of course the winters could get folks to winter temps rather than the 30's on up that most folks camp in.

The Jarbridge is a much smaller and lighter quilt than the New River and the 3 season version packs to about the size of a bowling ball if you squish it down. They are still on sale this week but we are getting swamped so orders are running a bit over a week now so plan accordingly.
    ( points up ) thats the man you needed to hear from! perfect explanation
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post

How small does the toxaway pack?

This is probably a stupid question but when looking at the website it does not mention if the tarp comes with an kind of suspension. Does the tarp come with any lines to tie it up does that have to be purchased separately?

Thanks

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The Toxoway packs to about the size of a grapefruit or a little smaller.

Tarps do not come with lines, they are available separate and we have several options to choose from. Generally none of the manufactures include lines, some sell them pre-done (cut to length, loops, prussic's so on) like we do, and some offer rope on the spool or by the foot like we do, for you to make your own lines with.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts