Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    SkunkApe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Posts
    403

    HH Zip vs. BB vs. Mosquito Hammock

    This will be my first hammock and I need it before July 8th.

    I do mostly hiking so weight is an issue. Flies are always an issue in Florida. So I have gotten it down to these three.

    Expedition Asym Zip $150
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL (no tarp) $175
    Mosquito Jungle $150

    I am 5'9 185lbs.

    Price is also a little of an issue. I could stretch for the $175 for the BB but I will have to make due with a temporary Walmart tarp if I go that route.

    I don't mind knots and a little extra work if I can always upgrade later. I do like buying new things. So I am sure I will try all the suspensions over the next while.

    What are the benefits, issues with these? I think I understand that you have the foot shelf and have a storage shelf on the blackbird. Other than that I really don't know.


    Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    Gary_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Posts
    1,267
    At 5'9 the Expedition will be ok, but the HH Explorer and WBBB will be more comfortable.

  3. #3
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,463
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by rongallant View Post
    This will be my first hammock and I need it before July 8th.

    I do mostly hiking so weight is an issue. Flies are always an issue in Florida. So I have gotten it down to these three.

    Expedition Asym Zip $150
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL (no tarp) $175
    Mosquito Jungle $150

    I am 5'9 185lbs.

    Price is also a little of an issue. I could stretch for the $175 for the BB but I will have to make due with a temporary Walmart tarp if I go that route.

    I don't mind knots and a little extra work if I can always upgrade later. I do like buying new things. So I am sure I will try all the suspensions over the next while.

    What are the benefits, issues with these? I think I understand that you have the foot shelf and have a storage shelf on the blackbird. Other than that I really don't know.


    Thanks for the help!
    I won't comment on the Expeditions comfort vs the others as I have no experience with the Expedition, only the Explorer UL, DJ XL and Claytor and WBBB. So I will leave that comparison to others. The last 4 I find to be very similar in comfort.

    But the WB and Claytor are double bottom hammocks, making both pad use ( for those on a budget) and Mosquito issues much easier to deal with.

    The Claytor comes with a significantly larger diamond tarp than the Expedition ( also heavier).
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  4. #4
    SkunkApe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Posts
    403
    I have to admit, I do like the camo Claytor.

    I was getting the feeling that you either got Blackbird or you were not getting the best.

  5. #5
    JaxHiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by rongallant View Post
    I was getting the feeling that you either got Blackbird or you were not getting the best.
    I think this a common belief yet there are many quality hammocks out there. Some just seem to have more of a cult following than others.

    Take a look at the Light Hiker and/or Switchback from Tree to Trail Gear. These are very roomy and comfortable and I personally know several people that have switched to them from other manufacturers.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

  6. #6
    dragon360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Posts
    6,294
    Images
    1
    Owning the HH Exped as well as the WBBB and the Switchback, on top of being your height and close to your weight, the WBBB and the Switchback are much, much more comfortable to me. The Expedition is very tight and confining to me right now. That being said, I am looking for a HH Explorer or Safari as I have heard that these are very comfortable as well.

    In my opinion, I would stretch a bit now so that you don't have to stretch later to replace gear you may not be using.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

  7. #7
    Senior Member CrackMunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ballston Spa NY
    Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    149
    Images
    5
    I have the Expedition Asym Zip. It is comfy but at your hight I would go with the Explorer (if you go with HH) I'm 5'2" and its just right if not a little small.
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

  8. #8
    SkunkApe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I think this a common belief yet there are many quality hammocks out there. Some just seem to have more of a cult following than others.

    Take a look at the Light Hiker and/or Switchback from Tree to Trail Gear. These are very roomy and comfortable and I personally know several people that have switched to them from other manufacturers.
    Thanks, maybe I will see you on the trail.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    1,859
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I think this a common belief yet there are many quality hammocks out there. Some just seem to have more of a cult following than others.

    Take a look at the Light Hiker and/or Switchback from Tree to Trail Gear. These are very roomy and comfortable and I personally know several people that have switched to them from other manufacturers.
    Having both owned two of the three hammocks you mentioned, my wife and I recently converted to the Switchbacks. She has the Light Hiker and I have the Classic....both double bottomed. You are the perfect height and weight for the Light Hiker. They are awesome hammocks. Check out the Switchback Forum before you buy. In our opinions, we tried the rest and bought the best. Try before you buy if at all possible.

    If you're really strapped for money, it's hard to beat the Claytor at that price for a hammock and tarp. Odds are you'll sell it down the road but at least you'll have a good solid hammock to start.

    Miguel

  10. #10
    SkunkApe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Having both owned two of the three hammocks you mentioned, my wife and I recently converted to the Switchbacks. She has the Light Hiker and I have the Classic....both double bottomed. You are the perfect height and weight for the Light Hiker. They are awesome hammocks. Check out the Switchback Forum before you buy. In our opinions, we tried the rest and bought the best. Try before you buy if at all possible.

    If you're really strapped for money, it's hard to beat the Claytor at that price for a hammock and tarp. Odds are you'll sell it down the road but at least you'll have a good solid hammock to start.

    Miguel
    Lord, yet another option. haha Sounds like this is going to get expensive. I will of course have to try them all.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •