View Poll Results: Miles or Fishing Smiles? & Will you be coming?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Miles

11 29.73%
  • Fishing Smiles

18 48.65%
  • I will be there!

6 16.22%
  • I will not be making it.

10 27.03%
  • Maybe/Want to/Going to try to come

16 43.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idaho Hang III

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Idaho Hang III

Tis that time of year again where a hikers heart longs for the trail, the sun, evenings by a fire with friends and strong cutthroats on the end of his line.

It's time to start planning the third annual Idaho Hang!

Amongst the fading embers of the fire this past hang we tossed around a couple ideas of where to hike and what to see. I have narrowed the options down to 2 hikes to choose from for this years festivities.

Schedule:

This years hang is to start the Wednesday following Labor day. This will be the 5th of September. We will meet as early as possible as folks arrive from all over the country---I will leave my house around 9am with about a 3 hour drive (not counting stoping for fishing along the way) With plans to be at the campground in the early to mid afternoon. The hike will begin on the Thursday the 6th through Sunday the 9th. Plan to stay extra if possible as we will move camp to the area of a hot springs for post hike relaxing, fishing in one of the area rivers, and general lollygagging. Depending on base camp location we will either plan for wilderness pot luck or eat out at one of the valley restaurants.

For the Hike We can pick from Miles or Fishing Smiles.

For Miles:

The hike begins at Grangjean Campground which would be the location for the base camp as well as the finish for hike. Grandjean is located on the SW side of the Sawtooths along the South Fork of the Payette river. It is 8 miles off the pavement of HWY 21. This hike will take us first SE along the Payette river before turning uphill as we follow Barron Creek 7 miles to Lake 8771. We will camp night one at Lake 8771 where from reports the cutthroat fishing is good. Day two will take us though a high pass and along the largest alpine lake in the Sawtooths (Sawtooth Lake) From the south end of the lake we can either hike down hill to Alpine Lake(under 4 miles for the day) to spend night 2 or head west towards Trail Creek lakes(8 miles) Day 3 would put us hiking from Aline to Trail Creek OR Have us Lollygagging a day at Trail Creek with potential to hike up to Trailer lakes which are supposed to have really hot fishing. Final day would be a hike out from the Trail Creek lakes back to the trail head at Grandjean about 5 miles but nearly all down hill but with a couple stream crossing along the way. This route would be over 20 miles round trip but take us though some incredible scenery. Here is the map (hike is counter clockwise, pins are the potential camps) as well as some pictures of the area. I read a trip report form this loop being done as a 2 day trip, skipping alpine and trail creek lakes altogether so I am sure it can be done as a 4 day trip with a decent level of comfort despite the relatively ambitious mileage. Needless to say though this hike will have some serious changes in elevation and any one on this hike should plan to be in shape as we will get close to 9500'. The only hang up with this hike would be that the Trail Creek Lake area went though a fire a couple years ago so finding a good grove of trees for everyone to hang together might take a little work and might mean that we are not hanging lake side.

Lake 8771

Sawtooth Lake

Sawtooth lake looking towards pass to lake 8771

Alpine Lake

Fishing Smiles:

Fishing smiles puts us on a quite trail on the NW end of the Sawtooths. The trail starts about 1 mile off the pavement down a quite dirt road that ends at the trail head. There are not any facilities at this trail head just a parking lot. 4 miles of trail will put us at the first lake one more puts us at a small secluded alpine lake that is packed to the brim with Cuthtroat trout in the 8-12" range and some that will go bigger yet. This hike should only take about 2-2.5 hours to get to the second lake. From this point day hikes 1 mile back to the lower lake or 1.5 miles up then down hill to the third lake (which is supposed to have fewer but larger fish) Would be the order of the weekend. Hike out the way we came in on Sunday. There are only a few short steep sections on this trail but it does have a few hills to climb. If we pick this option though I may pack in my float tube and waders for fishing in the middle lake. Here is the Map as well as a picture or two. The down side to this hike is that it is out of the main jagged and rocky mass of the main band of the Sawtooths. While it is a beautiful and great location it's not near as scenic as the main body of the range, but it should make up for it in fishing as we should be bringing in 50+ fish each for a full day fishing in the middle lake. So if fishing quantity is preferred this would bring big smiles. For this hike we will pick a campground in the area for the first night as a place to meet up and spend the first night so that we have basic facilities for the fist night/morning.

First Lake

Second lake

Lots of trees

All the other Details and Post Hike:

For Refernce including directions with maps here are the planning threads for ID HANG #1 and #2

Trip Reports for ID Hang #1 , #1 Part 2 and #2 and Dblhammocks #2

Post hike any one that can stay past Sunday is invited to stick around to go to the campground at Grandjean to soak in the hot springs and fish in the Payette river. Regardless of which hike we choose after hike camping will be at Grandjean for a post hike soak in the excellent river side hot springs more fishing in the river and time by the camp fire. Last years hike we nearly had the campground to ourselves with room to hang dozens of hammocks along the river and stream that runs along the campground. Tuesday the 11th we will call it a trip and head for home.

So everyone is welcome to come. The more the better though we have had a great time getting to know people really well in small groups over the past couple year.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    For the poll please vote for the hike and your potential of attendance.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I can't vote for two things in the poll, but I am planning on being there. Give me a place to wet a line and I'm happy.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    I can't vote for two things in the poll, but I am planning on being there. Give me a place to wet a line and I'm happy.

HMMM? Must have unchecked some option when I made an adjustment. I shall contact the higher powers

Didn't figure you would miss this one. Or any of the others we have been scheming

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Mighty tempting, Paul.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Got the Poll Fixed. You can now pick from more than one choice as it applies.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I might as well plan on going my bike already knows the way!!

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    I guess I should have read the post before I voted. I voted for hiking and fishing. It doesn't matter to me. If I decide I want to hike more than fish I will take a day hike. I plan to make it again this year.

I only have to wait a little less than 8 months. I guess that will give me time to study my map.

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

3rd times a charm ??

Paul, I knew it was only a matter of time before you posted the 3rd Annual Idaho hang. As you may recall, I had family issues last year and was unable to attend. Those matters have been resolved, and with any luck, 2012 won't be a problem. (time will tell)

I'm pushing 50yrs old and for the simple fact that I'm still a noob, I'm more inclined for a hike/hang/fishing that isn't overly difficult.... but whaterver the group decides, I'll be ready. I'm never one to shurk from a challenge....

Thanks for the advanced post. It gives me plenty of time to work things out.

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I am blocking out this time now and will guard it jealously. I sure don't want to miss another one. I voted miles, but don't think fishing smiles would be less fun if that is where the group leans.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast