Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Down (of course)

A plea to the DYI Hammock Guru's

Greetings the great guru's of the Hammock world.

I must first say thank you to the many helpful and insightful tips and instructions I have gleaned from being a part of this forum. I am mostly a silent member but am working up the nerve to contribute more as I develop my skills and powers within the great hammock universe.

And now my plea for assistance, I, as many of you, am involved in a scout troop. More specific, I am the Varsity Scout Coach. As I have transitioned into the pleasant world of hanging, the scouts have become more and more interested. Finally, it climaxed at our last excursion when I pitched a full setup, including my WBBB, Mamajamba tarp, door setup and my own modification of a DIY stand (which I will have to post to share at a later date) in the desert with no trees!

With our high adventure camp around the corner, I have now promised them we could make hammocks. I am using a basic gathered hammock method based on the excellent post by Knotty http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205.

Amongst other things, I could some recommendations on type of fabric to use and where I should get it from for the best price. I am thinking about going with a lightweight 1.1 oz ripstop from http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=18, but am worried about durability with the scouts, what do you guys think? I need a good combo between price and durability. I do have a couple of guys who are just over 200 lbs so I would compliment them with the 1.9 oz.

I would also like to know about using this http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=27 as a RL and also as a means to attach to my suspension, (plan on using 1' line and strap).

Finally, and maybe most importantly, I need help with NoSeeUm netting. I would like to be able to attach and use a zipper like the WBBB. But could use some help in estimating yardage per hammock and methods of attachment on a basic gathered hammock.

Apologies for the lengthy post, I guess I get long winded when I'm excited. But I greatly appreciate the assistance and recommendations.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel

fabric

I would use 1.9oz for everyone personally. More durable with less stretch for all involved. A couple ounces more per tarp, but at least you don't have to worry about strength/stretch. For sources, check Quest, Owfinc,etc. DIY does typically have good deals.

Ryan

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Plus 1.9 ounce ripstop is almost always cheaper then 1.1 ounce ripstop. OWF Inc. gives a great price break on orders over 20 yards.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Another vote for all 1.9 oz.

I would be tempted to skip the zippers for the bug nets and use a simple open bottom net like this (and this) or this.

I'm really enjoying this style net. They would also be easier to replace if damaged (at least in my mind).

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Profly
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    hancock fabric has a good deal with their ripstop. i want to say that it feels just a bit lighter than 1.9oz but it will do the trick. its about $5 a yard, sometimes less when its on sale. Ive made a few hammocks for friends with this stuff and it holds my boyfriend just fine with little to no stretch. hes 240lb so your scouts should be just fine.
    Tucker: So I suppose if you are helping us you arent as mean as I thought...
    Tex: I wouldnt say Im mean, I just get hired to do mean things.
    Tucker: But you like it.
    Tex: Well I think its important to enjoy what you do.

-Red Vs Blue

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    1.9oz is your best bet....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Vii,
    You may try the fabric from here:http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/T...lon/index.html but you will need to find out the weight, & if it is coated first???
    They also sell an inexpensive zipper: http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Z...des/index.html
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    HG 3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Quest Outfitters, they were really quick to ship. Their 1.9 oz. ripstop prices aren't bad.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/uncoa...COATED RIPSTOP

They have a bunch of other things too, buckles, shock cord, cord locks, etc.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chorpie View Post
    I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Quest Outfitters, they were really quick to ship. Their 1.9 oz. ripstop prices aren't bad.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/uncoa...COATED RIPSTOP

They have a bunch of other things too, buckles, shock cord, cord locks, etc.
    If you look at Quest cited above scroll down a bit and look at the 1.9 uncoated taffeta. It has a DWR finish but it is listed as breathable. IMO the ripstop grid is only _slightly_ more tear resistant than taffeta. Ripstop was developed for garment use not weight bearing use. Many commercial manufactures use taffeta instead of ripstop and it is significantly cheaper than their ripstop especially in the roll price.

I think taffeta makes an extremely comfortable hammock and I prefer it over ripstop.

What is your intent for tarps?

If the High Adventure camp is a national program you might want to check on the use of hammocks. I know at least one of the national resources do not allow hammocks. Not being involved in Scouts (for a variety of reasons) I don't know the details but many have posted that they have been told they MUST have a tent to participate at that site.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Uhm, I'm confused.... wasn't the question about making hammocks.... not tarps?

Or am I being totally crazy?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast