Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    The rope guy at REI said triptease is a Spectra guyline!?!
    The Kelty website says it is 3mm and has a Dyneema core. I'm not sure what the outer cover is, but it's slightly coarse which really helps it grip when knotted or used in the Linelocs.

A Google search shows it available from many online sources.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I also use 2.2 Zing-It in my linelocs, and have had it slip in high winds, so if I'm anticipating a windy night, I just put a slippery half hitch around the standing line (looks like you have it around the Lineloc) on the ridgeline tieouts. The others have never slipped on me.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    ...I just put a slippery half hitch around the standing line (looks like you have it around the Lineloc)...
    Bingo......
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    I also use 2.2 Zing-It in my linelocs, and have had it slip in high winds, so if I'm anticipating a windy night, I just put a slippery half hitch around the standing line (looks like you have it around the Lineloc) on the ridgeline tieouts. The others have never slipped on me.

PF
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Bingo......
    Thanks for the idea PF. I did try that before going over the top of the lineloc.
    When I put the slippery half hitch on the line it would raise the locking mech
    from the lock position and I got slip.

I switched to over the lineloc to try and hold it in the down locked position.

For now I'm using the supplied line on the ridge and it is holding very well. I will keep looking for some Kelty Triptease for my 4 tie outs.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Have you thought of ditching the LineLok's and substituting a short piece of 2.2 eyed onto the loops to function as a constrictor? Basicly, you would be building a set of what Oppie documented as UCR's (utility constrictor ropes).

Another approach is Mini LineLoks. I built some self tensioning lines while in my DynaGlide kick. The set has Mini's free floating on the line. I have it configured with long lines and ussually double back from my anchor to the LineLok, but I do have the flexibility to single the line out to reach an anchor point that may be a bit of a ways off at times. Gives me a quick and light setup with a bit of give for the wind. it's way overkill on the strength side, but the DG is tight woven and coated, so sticks and bark don't hang up in it when it drags ground or is wrapped to a live anchor.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailH4x View Post
    Have you thought of ditching the LineLok's and substituting a short piece of 2.2 eyed onto the loops to function as a constrictor? Basicly, you would be building a set of what Oppie documented as UCR's (utility constrictor ropes).

Another approach is Mini LineLoks. I built some self tensioning lines while in my DynaGlide kick. The set has Mini's free floating on the line. I have it configured with long lines and ussually double back from my anchor to the LineLok, but I do have the flexibility to single the line out to reach an anchor point that may be a bit of a ways off at times. Gives me a quick and light setup with a bit of give for the wind. it's way overkill on the strength side, but the DG is tight woven and coated, so sticks and bark don't hang up in it when it drags ground or is wrapped to a live anchor.
    Hi H4x,
    All great ideas thank you. If I can't get the LineLoc3 to work for me I might give the mini's a try or revert back to knots. thanks again.

Images

PF
    That's what I was trying to say.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    In an effort to lighten my cuben tarp even more I ditched the supplied line and used 2.2 Lash-it
    on all 6 LineLoc3 tie outs.

Not to pick but is there much of a difference between the lash it and the stock line? Also between lash it and triptease?
    Are you going to save that much, the tarp weighs in at 6.5 oz even 2 or 3 oz of line you are still way ahead of regular tarps.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Drop an ounce here, cut an ounce there, and pretty soon you've lost another pound. Every little bit counts when you have to carry it on your back.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiredhiker View Post
    Not to pick but is there much of a difference between the lash it and the stock line? Also between lash it and triptease?
    Are you going to save that much, the tarp weighs in at 6.5 oz even 2 or 3 oz of line you are still way ahead of regular tarps.
    I understand what you are saying.
    I never thought I'd be a gram counter but what JerryW says is so true, it all adds up and once you've carried 20# pack and had everything
    you needed for a trip you will never go back.

50' Zing-it 2- 15' ridgelines, 4- 5' corner tie outs

40' MFG supplied Spectra guy line. 2- 10' ridgelines, 4- 5' corner tie outs
    Last edited by OutandBack; 06-29-2011 at 17:54.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123