DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
    Thanks for the article.
    Glad you mentioned tree sap. I'm also stuck using tree huggers because of it.
    I thought I was set on the cc buckle and webbing approach, but the carabiner hitch sure looks good (cheaper too).
    Tried the method with some paracord I had lying around. I found I let the rope slip a bit when securing the rope back to carabiner while trying to do the clove hitch with the threading method. Not much, but a little bit.

Couple questions.
    I heard most people were using the 3.8mm spyder line. Is the 2.8mm good enough (1900 vs 1200 tensile strength, lbsf I think) for our application, and easy to retie the Hennessy knot (replacing my stock HH Expedition rope)?
    Depends on the weight you expect the hammock to carry. I don't have the time immediately for a long answer and so I'll punt to Grizz for a longer explanation of hang angle and forces.

One draw with the cinch buckle was the ease and centering of the hammock. Easy to tighten each end by a little and then give it a final tighten on each end. This one might need more fiddling, but seems easy enough to do. I guess an extra slip hitch on each side instead of just pulling on straps.
    You can use the Carabiner Hitch in almost exactly the same manner as the buckles. I have found that over time I do things a little differently with the Carabiner Hitch than I did with the buckles, but then I think everybody adapts any method to suit their own way of doing things.

Last thing. If using just 1 carabiner hitch, how much more rope do you recommend on that side compared to the side with just a ring?
    I would keep things simple - use the same amount on both ends. That also gives you the option of switching ends for the hitch as circumstances warrant.

More options give you more flexibility which gives you more adaptability which gives you more survivability and more comfort.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    TeeDee you need to try out the cinch buckles (formally known as Crazy Creek buckles). You might never use them on your set-up, but at least you'll have a feel for them.
    Still my favorite.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

At most, it's me (150 lbs), and my bag (full load ~ 40lbs). ~200lbs total.
    That's the ultra conservative estimate as my bag is about 45lbs with everything packed.

Good point about being able to adapt the hitch to both sides. Would 10 feet per side be enough?

BTW, bulk wise, would 25' of the 2.8mm spyder line fit in an envelope. If it does, Mauri will ship it for cheaper.

Thanks again for the help TeeDee.