1.9 oz. ripstop strong enough for a project?

I'm wanting to get busy learning the ways of hammocks and after looking at some videos and reading others postings I want to make a first project out of 1.9 ripstop to get the feel of making a hammock. Figured this would be a good way to learn the knots and pieces needed to complete one. Do you feel that 1.9 is a good choice of material considering the weight savings it gives. I like it on my pack I made, seems very strong. I'm 6ft, and right at 225 pounds for now so that is my concern with th 1.9 ripstop. What do you think.

Jim

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Shouldn't be a problem. I am a little taller (6'2") and heavier (230lbs) and this is what my goto hammock is made from. I have an ENO SN and DN and a DIY 1.5 ripstop, but the one I use and find the most comfortable is the one I made from 1.9. Good luck and take some pics.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i think that 1.9 will be plenty strong for what you are looking to do. i used 1.9 for my diy hammock and have had no problems. i go 6'2" and 255 lbs and have no worries about the material not being strong enough.
    Hops

Hammock
    DIY Speer-Type
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 or 10x10
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm around 180 and I made my first "real" backpacking hammock out of 1.9 ripstop. Only problem I've had is when I got in wearing shorts with metal rivets that poked out... It put a couple stress marks in the fabric, but having used much weaker non-ripstop fabrics for hammocks with success I'm not concerned about it.

One note on ripstop for a hammock, I picked up the DWR coated stuff at OWFINC. When it's humid it tends to feel a bit "sticky" because of the coating, though I may just be picky

I've used Speer 1.9oz/sqyd fabric (now available at Tree to Tree Trail Gear) for both a single layer gathered end and a single layer bridge. I am 6'1" and ~200#. No problems!

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Made my first hammock this weekend, using ripstop I bought at Hancocks, I have no idea what it is, I would assume that it's 1.9 as I have read here that is what is most common, and have used it twice this weekend at 235lbs. I have bounced in it, swung, sat up and put my full weight in the middle, squirmed and jiggled, and everything else I could think of, it appears to be very stout stuff.

And BER? Love the sig!

TY. Love your avatar (ninjapig).

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    Tyvek
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I made a double layer gathered end hammock for my son. He goes about 260 and is 6' or so. The hammock has held up like a beast to his torcher tests.

Hey now.... yeah, buddy 1.9 will work.
    i am 5-10 and 200lbISH and I have made several hammocks for myself and some friends and that material seems to hold up nicely.

Good luck and welcome to the DIY side.