Hammock
    Currently GT Double Parachute; GTUL
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings

Newbie trying to convert SO

I'm essentially a hammock-brat. My old hammock was a DIY loaner from my grandpa that was pre-tied, pre-configured and all I had to do was toss the straps around trees that looked like the ones in his yard and attach the biners. If anything didn't work out, there was always strap set #B and grandpa was only a phone call away. Yes, I know I am spoiled

Fast forward a few years and my uncles ended up with those hammocks and I am trying to get my own hammock setup. However, I picked up a SO along the way who thinks hammocks are things you use to visit your chiropractor more and to sit in to be eaten up by sandflies whilst on a tropical vacation. So to preserve peace and unity (and not be antisocial) I have to try and convince him to at the very least entertain the thought of hanging.

After lurking about here for the past week, I pulled the trigger on the GT double parachute from REI. My hopes (i.e. evil plan) is to be able make it as easy as my grandpa's was to me, hang a cold beer from a ridgeline, put his current book and our cuddly dog in it to entice him.

I have ordered 18-ft 1" straps with 2" loops on the end to be cut in half to make 2 straps from strapworks per Hairball's suggestion, watched both Shug's videos and Professor Hammock's videos and am wondering what I should use to tie my ridgeline, does it have to be adjustable and what type of line I should use. Should I also get the o-ring hardware from strapworks? The ones on their website look like handbag o-rings....

I'm worried sick that I won't get this right, struggle to get it set up and have the whole thing collapse on him (and the dog). I only have one chance and it has to look good.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Sorry I can't help with this, but I couldn't resist posting when I realized there was another Torontonian Good luck with the setup, and hope it all works out for you!

Hammock
    Currently GT Double Parachute; GTUL
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    Hi!

We're currently on the road (to make this evil plan of mine even more insane) and in CT at the moment. We're heading up to Watkins Glen State Park next week and then back to the GTA the week after.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leemur View Post
    I have to try and convince him to at the very least entertain the thought of hanging...

I'm worried sick that I won't get this right, struggle to get it set up and have the whole thing collapse on him (and the dog). I only have one chance and it has to look good.
    I had the same issues when I first tried to convince some of my ground dwelling friends to make the leap. Getting it "right"...or at least giving the impression you are, is a big part of convincing others to make the transition themselves. I'm happy to say that I had the opportunity to practice on my own over several trips, prior to setting any of my friends up in my spare rig. Attending a group hang is an invaluable way to "get" some of the finer points of hanging, so I strongly encourage you to do so.

have ordered 18-ft 1" straps with 2" loops on the end to be cut in half to make 2 straps from strapworks per Hairball's suggestion, watched both Shug's videos and Professor Hammock's videos and am wondering what I should use to tie my ridgeline, does it have to be adjustable and what type of line I should use. Should I also get the o-ring hardware from strapworks? The ones on their website look like handbag o-rings....
    I have the same set up myself. One of the things to remember when using a D-Ring and strap setup is to always put slip hitch in the strap, after you've got your hammock adjusted. Otherwise, you/he stands a good chance of finding yourself on the ground (slowly or suddenly). I bought my D-Rings at Arrow Head Equipment. Many other people offer them, but that's where I got mine for both of my rings. If you don't have/use any Dutch Clips or carbiners, learn to make a Siberian Hitch for your suspension. Trust me, it makes life a WHOLE lot easier/quicker/cooler. IMHO, this set up is the best balance between versatility and security. I’m sure there are many folks out there who have other methods and are much more efficient/quicker than me, but this is what I find the easiest at this time. Just my .02...it's not "the" way, just "a" way to do it.

I also ditched my ENO bag and bought one of their hammock bags. It's big enough to stuff my entire rig (hammock, SRL, SRL organizer, peak bag, and bug net) into it. I also store my straps (with Dutch Clips), and two spare guylines in it with plenty of room to spare. The entire package (minus tarp) is about the size of a liter Nalgene bottle. I take out my straps. Attach one to a tree. I secure the first strap though the D-ring and then open the hammock bag. I walk to the other tree while pulling out my entire rig (already preset) as I walk. I attach my other strap to the second tree and secure through the D-ring at the foot of my rig. This takes 1-2 minutes at most. I then spend the next minute centering/adjusting my hammock (via D-ring/strap) and then put in my final slip hitches to prevent the straps from sliding through the D-rings. I'm sure you've seen this if you've watched any of the vidoes on here. Not one of my tent friends can EVER finish setting up, even half-way as fast as me!

WRT the ridge line. I'd suggest getting an adjustable SRL. The general rule of thumb is 30* for the "proper" sag, but it can vary. My comfort is right at 30. My buddy (taller/heavier) felt he got a flatter lay at around 40*. My wife (smaller/lighter) is around 25*. You may also find that you’ll have to play around with it to “fine tune” the rig; what feels good at first, becomes annoying later. Using an ASRL makes life so much easier. I use a soft shackle prussik and Adjustable SRL combo, attached via my D-Rings, to set my sag. I bought them at Whoopieslings.com.

I hope I offered some help. Enjoy and good luck!

Cheers,
    Mickey

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    12 x 12
    Insulation
    Pad & Pack
    Suspension
    Rings & Straps
    Images
    I got my rings (SMC Decender rings) from whoopielings.com. Aluminium and much lighter than the steel rings at strapworks.

While 18' of straps will probably be fine, most folks around here use 24'-30' it seems.

From what I understand many people use 7/64 Amsteel cord from reddinmarine.com for make a ridgeline. The suggested length is 83% of your hammock length but I'd have some extra for personal customization after you've tried it.

We're heading up to Watkins Glen State Park next week
    This is my neck of the woods. Absolutely Lovely park! I'm also going there next week if I can convince my own SO to come along. I recommend the "Walk behind the waterfalls" tours starting at 10am daily.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    However, I picked up a SO along the way who thinks hammocks are things you use to visit your chiropractor more and to sit in to be eaten up by sandflies whilst on a tropical vacation. So to preserve peace and unity (and not be antisocial) I have to try and convince him to at the very least entertain the thought of hanging.
    SOs can be such a hassle.
    Tell him to try something before he knocks it. I actually believed the same thing prior to taking the leap. Lifetime sufferer of a bad back; used to go out about once a year and I couldn't walk for that week...at all! When prepping for my AT hike, a young lady on another forum said she used hammocks because her back hurt. Intrigued, I thought I'd give it a shot. After three nights in my hammock (hung above my bed), I couldn't believe how good my body felt. Knees worked right out of the hammock and I didn't even have the standard Caveman Hunch from my back. A couple of weeks later and my bed was removed from the room. Four years later and my SO and I don't own a bed; the dog has one, but that's it. My back has gone out on me once since April of 2007 and I helped it with some manual labor.
    Gotta practice! Your stated hardware looks good and you've selected the easiest of suspensions out there IMO. Just try to set it with the suspension at that magical 30° angle from tree to hammock. With, or without a structural ridgeline, if the angle is right then the hammock is likely a comfy spot to lounge. Second getting the SMC rings; I keep going back to these time and again.

Good luck changing his mind. It shouldn't be too difficult.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts