DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    My rotary cutter is the best DIY tool I ever bought!
    I bought a 2'x4' by 1/8" thick HDPE from US Plastics for a cutting surface.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    An Olfa rotary cutter on a proper mat, proper tailoring scissors and an electric instant soldering iron with a cutting tip on along piece of 1/4" plywood run along a metal straight edge cut my fabric.

The rotary cutter is awesome but I need a long mat to make use of it better.

Hammock
    Bridge hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben cat cut
    Insulation
    Down TQ,IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I picked up a 24" x 36" cutting mat at Wally World, and a couple of rotary cutters. The cutters were on sale for $5, so I bought 2: one for use only on the mat so it stays sharp, and one for cutting directly on the floor for large pieces (using the seam between floorboards as a cutting groove). Works fine, and gives a nice straight edge for seams, but I could see using a hot knife being better for synthetics...I had a lot of fraying on both my polyester and ripstop nylon edges. Might look into that for the future.

On the other hand, I've been looking for an excuse for one of these bad boys

Dragon Lasers Spartan Series 1W Blue Handheld Laser, Rectangle Beam

Wicked Lasers S3 Arctic Spyder III Blue 1W Laser

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Question: with large pieces of material, how do you use the rotary cutters? If you were going to cut a large piece of material (say 72") out of a roll and cut off the selvage, and you don't have a seam or groove in the floorboards to use (concrete or mixed carpeted flooring) how does that work with a rotary cutter?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I cut from the roll with a rotary cutter on a 2x4 on the concrete. I have found that anything other than perfect sharpness will push the material into the grain of the wood in spots. Spraying the 2x4 with rubberized truck bed liner helps. I just moved my sewing room into the attic (its pretty big) so I need to find new way. I dont have 40 feet of space to play with anymore. I worry that that I will dull rotary cutters faster than should be.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Am I the only one that watched this and thought, "Why am I carrying a lighter when I could use a freakin laser to start a fire?"

But back on point. I use scissors or a rotary cutter. To cut larger pieces I will fold them over until they are a managable size to cut, being sure they are flush all around before I slice, and binder clips used around all edges to hold in place.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Question: with large pieces of material, how do you use the rotary cutters? If you were going to cut a large piece of material (say 72") out of a roll and cut off the selvage, and you don't have a seam or groove in the floorboards to use (concrete or mixed carpeted flooring) how does that work with a rotary cutter?
    They sell giant roll out plastic mats for the cutting. They are pricey, so not a practical solution for the occassional diy'er. here and here (puzzlemat)
    An economical solution is the folding plastic table. Like this one (I'm sure you've seen them) I use one as my sewing table and can cut on it with minimal damage to the table and the rotary cutter. It skips at the fold/hinge, so I finish the cut and shift the material to complete the skipped section.
    Some projects are to bulky for the table, so I'll lay them out on the floor, and mark the shape I need. Then slide the smaller cutting mat under the line/fabric, cut a few feet, move the mat forward, repeat till done.

Quote Originally Posted by hippofeet View Post
    I cut from the roll with a rotary cutter on a 2x4 on the concrete. I have found that anything other than perfect sharpness will push the material into the grain of the wood in spots. Spraying the 2x4 with rubberized truck bed liner helps. I just moved my sewing room into the attic (its pretty big) so I need to find new way. I dont have 40 feet of space to play with anymore. I worry that that I will dull rotary cutters faster than should be.
    Cutting on wood or anything else other than a plastic mat will quickly dull a rotary blade in my experience.
    My space is limited, with a little thought and effort, fabric can be folded and cut accurately for larger pieces. A 64 wide piece of roll goods folded is only 32" so it will fit in a hall way if needed. Long sections like a tarp at 13', can be folded length wise to 6'-6" and cut. Combine the two tricks and you'll fit a large piece into a very small area.
    It can take some fiddling to get everything lined up, but it can be done.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 07-18-2011 at 04:56.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12