Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    105
    That "double dragon" looks like an Angler's knot to me, but I'm not really all that knot savvy compared to a lot of guys on here...

    Does a bowline not hold in Amsteel? I've tied one and it seemed pretty solid, but I didn't really load it up that much...

  2. #12
    but enough about me hppyfngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crozet, Virginia
    Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Posts
    3,217
    Images
    36
    I think I may have confused things with my terminology. What I meant to create was a length of amsteel with a bight on each end, not a continuous loop.

    So, I was looking for a knot to create a secure bight...

    Although, now that I think about it, just splicing a continuous loop might be easier...
    Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

    TDStand Instructions

    TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

  3. #13
    but enough about me hppyfngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crozet, Virginia
    Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Posts
    3,217
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by DJPyro View Post
    Does a bowline not hold in Amsteel? I've tied one and it seemed pretty solid, but I didn't really load it up that much...


    That's a part of my question. Amsteel is certainly slipperier than some cordage. It holds but I don't know how well. Bowlines can come loose when not under load but it hasn't happened to me...
    Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

    TDStand Instructions

    TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

  4. #14
    Senior Member Tendertoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Posts
    1,352
    Continuous loop is the way to go IMHO.

    Girth hitch it to the hammock. Girth hitch to the buckles or rings.

    If you were to do a single line with 2 fixed eyes on it you will have a longer piece of amsteel hanging off your hammock which will result in a longer "shortest hang" than with a continuous loop.

  5. #15
    but enough about me hppyfngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crozet, Virginia
    Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Posts
    3,217
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Continuous loop is the way to go IMHO.

    Girth hitch it to the hammock. Girth hitch to the buckles or rings.

    If you were to do a single line with 2 fixed eyes on it you will have a longer piece of amsteel hanging off your hammock which will result in a longer "shortest hang" than with a continuous loop.
    Sounds good to me.
    Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

    TDStand Instructions

    TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

  6. #16
    Senior Member TiredFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MD
    Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,100
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    I think I may have confused things with my terminology. What I meant to create was a length of amsteel with a bight on each end, not a continuous loop.

    So, I was looking for a knot to create a secure bight...

    Although, now that I think about it, just splicing a continuous loop might be easier...
    If you want a length with a loop on each end, just splice a fixed eye on each end. A spliced fixed eye derates the rope almost nothing and most knots will derate at between 25% to 50%.

  7. #17
    but enough about me hppyfngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crozet, Virginia
    Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Posts
    3,217
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Have a look at the "double dragon". Never used it in Amsteel, but it's a great fixed loop knot.

    Knot #5 on that page.

    Ken
    That is a cool knot. I've seen it before but didn't get it until looking at it again.

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    If you want a length with a loop on each end, just splice a fixed eye on each end. A spliced fixed eye derates the rope almost nothing and most knots will derate at between 25% to 50%.
    I know a locked brummel, and I know how to do a locked brummel without access to both ends, although I find it to be a pain. I am not keen on stitched buries.

    Is there a way to splice a fixed bight on either end of the same line that I am not aware of?
    Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

    TDStand Instructions

    TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

  8. #18
    Senior Member DemostiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Posts
    2,325
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by DJPyro View Post
    That "double dragon" looks like an Angler's knot to me, but I'm not really all that knot savvy compared to a lot of guys on here...

    Does a bowline not hold in Amsteel? I've tied one and it seemed pretty solid, but I didn't really load it up that much...
    Tight knots don't hold as well in Amsteel as in non-synthetics and less slippery ropes. Also the rope creeps, self loosening, instead of self-tightening, and that can happen absent a load.

    I don't know that many in this casual, mostly recreational, group carefully inspects their cordage and knots.....except for those for whom Scouting had the positive and lasting impact it should have.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-15-2011 at 18:32.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Rug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chatham, ON. Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    700
    Images
    6
    While I agree with everybody and suggest that a locked splice is the _BEST_ choice I have a different knot suggestion.

    I have read online (I think it was on this forum) that the 'Fishermans' knot (both double and triple) do NOT hold long-term in Amsteel. a much better knot IMHO that 'locks itself' is the 'Surgeons Loop'. I have had it hold my full-weight (310+ lbs) over a couple of weeks last summer.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

    Rug.

    Hang On!

  10. #20
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    5,982
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    ...I know a locked brummel, and I know how to do a locked brummel without access to both ends, although I find it to be a pain. I am not keen on stitched buries.
    Why is that? It's easy, and virtually fail safe.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •