Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Posts
    8

    1" Polyester webbing?

    Hi all,

    I am about to make a hammock (a la Risk's zHammock) for my daughter. Well, four of them - because she can't hang alone, right?

    I was looking for 1" polyester webbing and came across:

    http://www.shipperssupplies.com/1Web...yesterWebbing/

    Seems to come out to $0.15/foot.

    Has anyone used them? Is 6600# overkill? Would 3000# be enough? I am going by 1/5 breaking strength, and with 600# lateral exerted by a loaded hammock, 6600# seems more appropriate.

    Also: eBay/fabricsupplier is sending sans shipping per the HF deal (thanks, Rachel!) (calendared ripstop - too bad it was not uncalendared), Noah Lamport for silnylon seconds, and hopefully owfinc for the rest... Can't wait...!

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by tesseractive; 07-16-2011 at 08:22. Reason: Corrected weight limit

  2. #2
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    5,982
    Yes, overkill.

    Contact Paul at AHE...he can set you up, and he's a member of HF.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  3. #3
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,299
    Images
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by tesseractive View Post
    Hi all,

    I am about to make a hammock (a la Risk's zHammock) for my daughter. Well, four of them - because she can't hang alone, right?

    I was looking for 1" polyester webbing and came across:

    http://www.shipperssupplies.com/1Web...yesterWebbing/

    Seems to come out to $0.15/foot.

    Has anyone used them? Is 6600# overkill? Would 3000# be enough? I am going by 1/5 breaking strength, and with 600# lateral exerted by a loaded hammock, 6600# seems more appropriate.

    Also: eBay/fabricsupplier is sending sans shipping per the HF deal (thanks, Rachel!) (calendared ripstop - too bad it was not uncalendared), Noah Lamport for silnylon seconds, and hopefully owfinc for the rest... Can't wait...!

    Thoughts?
    Folks have had good luck with the cargo straps from Harbor Freight. I don't have one around my area so I don't know anything about them. But I've used other brands on occasion and they've seemed good. Harbor Freight just seems to have really good prices from what I've read.

    As far as calendared ripstop is concerned, that not a big issue for a hammock body.It is still very breathable and not coated so you can use that with high expectations.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  4. #4
    UncleMJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Hammock
    HHExplUL; WBBB; SmokeHouse; ROO...
    Tarp
    HM Suite or HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    2,287
    Images
    6
    I've made dozens like you are intending and have picked up webbing in the WalMart fabric dept where I purchased the cheap fabric as well.

    Another time I picked up about several hundred feet of poly webbing off ebay - it was actually labeled at 1200 lbs.

    The webbing has outlasted all the hammocks but shown some wear.

    I agree with Oldgringo - do it right the first time by getting with Paul.

  5. #5
    kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South, South Jersey
    Posts
    3,174
    Images
    7
    this page might help http://www.whoopieslings.com/Whoopie_slings.html and

    http://www.strapworks.com/Strapworks...ling_s/174.htm
    i use Seatbelt Polyester: Polyester webbing in our seatbelt style.
    Available Sizes: 1 INCH
    It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness.

  6. #6
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,299
    Images
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    I've made dozens like you are intending and have picked up poly webbing in the WalMart fabric dept where I purchased the cheap fabric as well.

    Another time I picked up about several hundred feet of poly webbing off ebay - it was actually labeled at 1200 lbs.

    The webbing has outlasted all the hammocks.
    While your mileage may vary... I recommend leaving the Walmart fabric webbing right there on the shelf. I've had it break on me depositing me on the ground with a massive thump. You must read the spool extremely carefully and trust it has not been repackaged. The webbing I got looked like polyester but the spool said "olefin" when I went back and looked at it after it broke. If you are going to go to WalMart get the cargo straps from the auto department. They are safe work load labeled and intended for weight application. The webbing in the fabric department is intended for purse straps and tote bag decorations. It looks good... but I wouldn't take for a suspension if they paid me to use it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  7. #7
    Strung out's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Forest Lake, MN
    Hammock
    DIY 1.5 gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Posts
    220
    I bought myself a roll of the 3000# stuff.
    It's nice and thick, and you know you are safe.

    Remember that trees will cause some wear on your straps after a while.
    Overkill when new, but how strong is the stuff after a bunch of use?

    Many folks use thinner webbing without issue. YMMV

    enjoy the building!



    Quote Originally Posted by tesseractive View Post
    Hi all,

    I am about to make a hammock (a la Risk's zHammock) for my daughter. Well, four of them - because she can't hang alone, right?

    I was looking for 1" polyester webbing and came across:

    http://www.shipperssupplies.com/1Web...yesterWebbing/

    Seems to come out to $0.15/foot.

    Has anyone used them? Is 6600# overkill? Would 3000# be enough? I am going by 1/5 breaking strength, and with 600# lateral exerted by a loaded hammock, 6600# seems more appropriate.

    Also: eBay/fabricsupplier is sending sans shipping per the HF deal (thanks, Rachel!) (calendared ripstop - too bad it was not uncalendared), Noah Lamport for silnylon seconds, and hopefully owfinc for the rest... Can't wait...!

    Thoughts?

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for all the info!

    Unfortunately, walmart doesn't carry fabric and the like in our local store. Only crafts. I would be wary of suspension from them, anyway.

    I have harbor freight binding straps that I use with an old jungle hammock. I still use them for binding cargo, so I don't want to modify/remove hardware.

    This is fast approaching $100/hammock... I wasn't expecting that.

    I'll post some pics if they don't look too bad when I'm done with them.

  9. #9
    Senior Member hippofeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Posts
    411
    Post them anyway. I love pics.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

  10. #10
    UncleMJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Hammock
    HHExplUL; WBBB; SmokeHouse; ROO...
    Tarp
    HM Suite or HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    2,287
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    While your mileage may vary... I recommend leaving the Walmart fabric webbing right there on the shelf. I've had it break on me depositing me on the ground with a massive thump. You must read the spool extremely carefully and trust it has not been repackaged. The webbing I got looked like polyester but the spool said "olefin" when I went back and looked at it after it broke. If you are going to go to WalMart get the cargo straps from the auto department. They are safe work load labeled and intended for weight application. The webbing in the fabric department is intended for purse straps and tote bag decorations. It looks good... but I wouldn't take for a suspension if they paid me to use it.
    Points well taken.

    Disclaimer: The dozens made were for teens most of whom were under 100lbs.

    The concept works and that's why it's called a "test hammock". If you are sure you and those your making them for want to keep them a while, follow the advice for good quality fabric and webbing. It is worth the difference.

    If they really are tests, then shave a few bucks to try them and don't expect them to last.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •