Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Moderator raiffnuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL, Camo Hideaway, ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Posts
    5,330
    Images
    44
    FWIW, I think that you can package the WBBB & MJ into the WBBB's stuff sack without to much of a problem. I haven't tried, but I know how much I can compress both my hammock and tarp in their sacks...so, if you look at the size of the WBBB w/$20 bill above, I bet you can have the whole thing that size. just my 2 cents.

  2. #12
    UncleMJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Hammock
    HHExplUL; WBBB; SmokeHouse; ROO...
    Tarp
    HM Suite or HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    2,287
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    FWIW, I think that you can package the WBBB & MJ into the WBBB's stuff sack without to much of a problem. I haven't tried, but I know how much I can compress both my hammock and tarp in their sacks...so, if you look at the size of the WBBB w/$20 bill above, I bet you can have the whole thing that size. just my 2 cents.
    Agreed.

    I've had the HHBUL and find the WBBB much more comfortable. I also find the HH ExplUL more comfortable that the HHBUL. I know your question is not about comfort but about pack size.

    I am convinced that I could pack my WBBB and tarp in the same space I pack my HHBUL. (And if I couldn't, the difference in comfort would be worth making some adjustments in the load.)

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    FWIW, I think that you can package the WBBB & MJ into the WBBB's stuff sack without to much of a problem. I haven't tried, but I know how much I can compress both my hammock and tarp in their sacks...so, if you look at the size of the WBBB w/$20 bill above, I bet you can have the whole thing that size. just my 2 cents.
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I still need dimensions so I can measure something specific on my bike and packs.

    I am also aware of the differences between the two hammocks and the resulting comfort factor for most people. I have been over and over these forums and have read all of that. All I need is the packed dimensions of the Blackbird 1.1 double layer with the Mamajamba tarp packed together. Even if you could stuff the Warbonnet rig into the same stuff sack that comes with the Hennessey Ultralite Backpacker, it doesn't mean the dimensions would be the same. I need the dimensions.

    Thanks for all who have posted so far, I appreciate the help.

  4. #14
    the filled stuffsacs are cylyndrical

    the bb stuffsac is aprox 14" long and 5.5" diameter
    the tarp stuffsac is aprox 12" long and 4" diameter

    these sizes allow for considerable "further compression"

    i just took the mj out of it's stuffsac and stuffed it into the stuffsac with the blackbird, it fits fine in there, and i can then compress the blackbird stuffsac (with hammock and tarp inside) to about 10" in length.

    so both hammock and tarp together will compress to a total volume of aprox a 10" long x 6" diameter cylendar (at max compression)

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the filled stuffsacs are cylyndrical

    the bb stuffsac is aprox 14" long and 5.5" diameter
    the tarp stuffsac is aprox 12" long and 4" diameter

    these sizes allow for considerable "further compression"

    i just took the mj out of it's stuffsac and stuffed it into the stuffsac with the blackbird, it fits fine in there, and i can then compress the blackbird stuffsac (with hammock and tarp inside) to about 10" in length.

    so both hammock and tarp together will compress to a total volume of aprox a 10" long x 6" diameter cylendar (at max compression)
    Thanks for going to the trouble to do that, I truly appreciate it. Hennessy shows 4x6x9 for the Ultralite Backpacker, I'm wondering if that is real world. I know I am comparing a slightly larger hammock and slightly larger tarp to the Hennessy.

    Thanks everyone so much for the help! Now I have to think.

  6. #16
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    5,253
    Images
    196
    You are really doing a great job of comparing.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

    8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You are really doing a great job of comparing.
    Thanks Dutch. I just ordered the Blackbird 1.1 double layer with the webbing suspension along with the Mamajamba with side pulls in camo. I really liked the idea of shaving all the weight off I could and even thought of going with the Hyperlite but in the end I figure what I ordered will only be about 2.5 pounds and the Ultralite would be almost that. The Hyperlite would be lighter but I wasn't sure I wanted that. I figured the Hyperlite would be great to carry and I'm sure it would work very well, I just figure I might want the bigger tarp and a little more room since I'm 5'11".

    Now I just get to wait. I wanted to use it next week but I doubt it will be here by then.

    Thanks again for all the help everyone.

  8. #18
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,566
    Images
    39
    My double layer 1.1 WBBB when stuffed is 5.4" diameter and 11" long. (253 cu.in. or 4.1 liters).
    I replaced the stock suspension with whoopies, dutch biners, dutch clips and 5" poly tree straps (1" wide, 1500# rated). The total weight of all that in the sack is only 28.5 ounces (1.78 pounds).
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    hershey, PA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Posts
    1,190
    Images
    51
    why did your setup only change by .1 ounce with those mods? the stock straps, suspension, and 2 of his biners on a 1.1 is 28.6 oz. Perhaps the sack is an ounce also. Hmmm.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by phughes View Post
    Thanks Dutch. I just ordered the Blackbird 1.1 double layer with the webbing suspension along with the Mamajamba with side pulls in camo. I really liked the idea of shaving all the weight off I could and even thought of going with the Hyperlite but in the end I figure what I ordered will only be about 2.5 pounds and the Ultralite would be almost that. The Hyperlite would be lighter but I wasn't sure I wanted that. I figured the Hyperlite would be great to carry and I'm sure it would work very well, I just figure I might want the bigger tarp and a little more room since I'm 5'11".

    Now I just get to wait. I wanted to use it next week but I doubt it will be here by then.

    Thanks again for all the help everyone.
    if you're concerned about the weight there's always the single layers, but the double is better if you planning on using a pad for awhile

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •