DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends

Vintage singer users

I have a singer 99 that I have completely torn down. I took photo's at every stage. I also made a mistake (first time) and broke something. If any of the DIY crowd is interested, I can post the pics, and the fix. The innards are very similar across many years and models. I have it torn down to the bare cast shell. I will be rebuilding it, and retiming it. But maybe it doesn't go with DIY hammocks.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Sure post some pics and see what gives.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Yes, I'd like to see it. I have an old Singer 127 that I'd like to take apart "just to see" what's in there, but only if I can be pretty sure I won't mess it up. Let's play with yours first!

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I'd like to see it. My wife picked up a Singer 99 treadle machine that's doesn't appear to be timed right. Any resources/recommendations on how to fix the timing?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    What's it doing that leads you to believe it is not timed properly?

Some stitch quality issues are not related to timing and there is no reason to get into that process if you don't need to. I've never done it, but on those machines it is pretty easy to do. My wife used to set her own timing on that era machine. But she hasn't done it years either.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Post the pics, it's a very useful thing for anyone with an old Singer even if your model isn't exactly the same as the 99.

I've been using a Centennial model of the 221 Featherlight for decades now. Inherited it from my wife's grandmother who bought it new back in 1951 (and kept in mint condition even though she used it all the time.) The thing is the toughest workhorse of a machine I've ever used, and I've used some serious industrial machines over the years. It will handle anything from fairly heavy leather or webbing down to the lightest ultralight fabrics (I've stitched Icarex on it without a hitch.)

Don't let that old Singer get away from you!
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Ok. I wondered, but there seems to be enough interest. I will start putting the first part (teardown) together. Ramblinrev, while I took it apart, I matchmarked what I took to be important linkages, but it will not be perfect. I assume I will have timing issues when it is back together. I took it apart because I want to redo the paint, and learn sewing machine repair. Good thing I broke a piece.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Careful, Strategic. Any ART OF WAR quotes in a sig line, generate an automatic friend request from me.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Not to hijack your thread, but my sister has offered me a Singer, (she says it's supposed to work) that she claims is 50 years old, would it be good to take her up on it?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    First, I need to post the pics, see what order they come up, then edit so I can go in the right order.

First is a shot of the complete machine. It was my parts machine, and was already missing the tensioner, bobbin cover, and presser foot. Although it is hard to see, the paint had some strange areas where the varnish bubbled with air pockets. Also, very yellow.

A shot with the face plate off. There are two wide, flat screws here that are important. They are on the linkages, NOT the thread carrier off to the right in the photo. The straight slot grooves are rounded toward the bottom, I had to grind a straight slot screwdriver thinner and rounded in order to fit. They also are LEFT HAND THREAD, so you need to turn them clockwise to remove them. This is because the main shaft rotation would tend to loosen them otherwise. You can see me inserting a screwdriver into a hole on the side (away from you as you sew) to reach the clamp that attaches the main shaft to the vertical shaft that holds the needle. The arrangement is much like a locomotive drive, with the offset linkage rotating and pulling the needle shaft up and down. I broke one of these arms, and there is no longer a way to attach the needle shaft to the main shaft. I will be ordering a new one, or removing one from another machine. The clamp in the main shaft beneath the faceplate has three screws in it. One to mount the linkage, one to hold the linkage boss in place, and one to hold the clamp in place on the main shaft.

As I go, removing parts, I would normally place screws and set screws back into there holes, so as not to lose them. As I will be media blasting and repainting, that won't work. So, I place the screws wherever they were in the removed piece, then tape them together with painters tape. No loss, and no adhesive left on parts.

A shot with the throat plate and bobbin plate removed. There is some wear on the parts. There is a plug of red felt that can be seen. This is not debris, it is a wiper for the inside of the ring that rotates around and picks up the thread from the needle. Don't pull it out. The presser foot shaft is loosened from the top, the pin is driven out of the presser foot release lever, the screw is loosened on the clamp that hold the presser foot lever to the presser foot shaft, and the shaft is removed through the top of the machine head. The needle shaft is moved upward, and removed through the faceplate opening. The bobbin and carrier are removed via a large (largest on the machine) screw on the underside of the machine. This screw also secures the feed dog linkage and ramp. (as the main shaft turns, it drives a linkage on an offset of the main shaft, driving the feed dog linkage through an arc. It also rotates the bobbin carrier, and rotates the horizontal bobbin carrier, which had a machine cut ramp, bearing on an arm from the feed dog linkage. This all serves to move the feed dog in an arc, and a linear distance. It can be easily seen on the underside of the machine.)

I need to smoke, and have some ice coffee. I have more pics, and I will try to learn to separate the text and photo's as this goes on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hippofeet; 07-10-2011 at 10:48. Reason: "smoke" sounded funny lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast