Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    Mason's line--must be braided. I hear people talk about doing it, but it's so blasted THIN. Seems like I'd go nuts long before I ever got anything spliced (I dunno, maybe make nanobots to do it for me).

Here's a site that shows you how to make paracord soft shackles (he uses a needle as a fid, but I like to use one of the gutted strands of nylon to pull the outer casing through itself--personal preference; are you a pusher or a puller?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i-8R...e_gdata_player
    Actually, I find it easier with the small stuff.

I started out splicing three strand cordage. Not as easy as hollow braid but doable. You get to get real acquainted with a marlinspike.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I can't stop. Now that I have a good handle on what I was doing wrong no rope is safe. Last night I was supposed to be working on a presentation for a Tuesday meeting. Instead I was making a new CRL from Dynaglide. Later in the evening I was searching for something in my truck toolbox only to stumble upon a virgin spool of braided mason line. I called off my search and ran inside to make more soft shackle prussiks.

Every where I turn are whoopieslings, continuous loops, prussiks, etc. I think I need help but I'm not quite ready to admit that I have a problem.
    I told you that splicing rope is highly addictive.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Did my first soft shackle tonight. Tis a wee little thing. Started with 18", not enough in 1/8". Needed gmcttr's link. Good confidence builder. I can see where this can be another addiction, in an addiction.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc527 View Post
    How do you use a strand to pull it through? just tie a knot around the end and feed the small strand through the entry point?
    Rather than a knot, I like to cut the bury end at a 45 degree, melt the end so that I have a pointy tip, then thread half the strand as close to the tip as I can. Thread the two strands through the needle, and work them through the cord. This way you don't have a bulky knot getting in your way.

Mind you, I only do this because (a) I can't keep the blasted tape on the needle/fid (if I could, it would eliminate an extra step), and (b) the in-laws (where I'm staying for vacation) have not even an inch of wire, which would eliminate the need for a needle altogether.

Looking back at my previous post, I also feel I should clarify. When I said I hang my gear with these, I mean my pack, tarp, and odds and ends. I would never hang a hammock with paracord soft shackles--these are not amsteel. I know you are saying, "Well, duh!" at this, but I feared I may have been too ambiguous earlier, and wanted to avoid any potential heartache (and possible aches south of the heart) that could occur.

Splice on!
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My problem was actually caused by just cutting at a 45. The solution was to taper by removing strands. I catch the strands with the wire and milk the rope back over it until it pops out.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images

Call off the nanobots!

I did it! Thanks to a fortuituos combination of your posts and me stumbling across a spool of thin wire in the in-law's basement, I decided to pull out my braided mason's line and give it a whirl--went MUCH easier than my first amsteel attempt (which, admittedly, isn't saying much). Now I don't know if I'll ever leave the basement (my oldest daughter is bringing me meals ).

Thanks for the posts, the information, and the inspiration. Y'all are awesome!
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    w00t!

I predict global rope shortages as we all buy up the supplies.
    Last edited by JaxHiker; 07-23-2011 at 14:12.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12