Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    New Member ohmgrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    15

    Integral Designs

    Can anyone give me some information/review on the siltarp by integral designs. Haven't really found any literature on them. How does this compare to the MacCat Tarps?

    http://www.prolitegear.com/pl_id_siltarp2.html

    Thanks,
    Ohmgrown

  2. #2
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    I haven't specifically used the Integral Designs, but here's how it breaks down vs the MacCat Deluxe:

    MacCat Deluxe
    Hexagonal w/Caternary Edges
    13.5oz
    12'10" x 8'6"
    $115

    Integral Designs
    Rectangle
    14oz
    10' x 8'
    $145

    It seems the ID is smaller, heavier, not-caternary, and more expensive.
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kokomo IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Posts
    3,281
    Images
    27

    Mule's Opinion.

    ohmgrown,
    These are just rambling comments of a old man.
    I have had that same Integral Designs Tarp, 8 x 10, for some time now and used to use it with both my ID Bivy and now with hammocks. I also have a MacCat, specially made with a 14 foot ridgeline instead of a 12.
    For the hammock, I think the MacCat is hard to beat. I bought it after going to RRG with Ceribus, Headchange4u, Grizzly Adams and Hooch. Some of them were using the MacCat or the Speer Winter Tarp.
    Now since I also owned the SWT for a short period, I will tell you my thoughts on all three while I at it on the MC and the ID.
    I am very fond of the ID 8x10 when sleeping on the ground because you can pitch a rectangular tarp in so many more configurations than you can the MC. It can be pitched very low to the ground and when done that way seems huge for it's coverage, and invites others to come over and partake of your coffee, cookies and dry space. I also like it for a hammock for the coverage you can get to cook under, etc., BECAUSE of the rectangular shape. The only drawbacks are using it in wind and since I use hammocks that are 10 feet or longer, I need more ridgeline. Pitching the ID as an asym. daimond works well though, but still a little short in the ridgeline and the coverage. The ID is simple and versatkile, but small. I loan it out to would-be hammockers for a first time experience, and if I know it's going to be rainy and others are going, I will be throwing it in for a common meeting place for all, sometimes.
    The SWT (and the MC with their Cat Cuts) allows you to make a few configurations that the ID cannot make, of course. I only used the SWT once in the woods, then took it down and put up my stock Claytor tarp (I took both). I found the SWT too complicated to pitch over a lot of fallen logs, etc. To pitch it in a tight wooded area was going to be a hassle, I could see, every time. As for the cool way you can close off the ends, it was quite good, but I like to see the sky whenever it's not raining or blowing. Too complicated for my taste, though a gorgeous piece of silnylon for sure. I sold it to Cerebus and bought my MC.
    The MacCat pitches so tight and covers so well, especially with the 14 foot ridgeline, that I cannot see myself using any other tarp that I have, with the possible exception of the stock Claytor when wanting to go stealth. The MC is all the coverage one would ever need unless you were cooking in the wind and rain. In that case the SWT would be hard to beat.
    Take a look at some photos of all three. These the best photos I have of the three and do not illustrate well many of the points mentioned above.
    Check out the MC photo with HOOCH FALLING OUT OF HIS HAMMOCK WITH HIS PANT OFF. It shows a MC pitched in such a way I just couldn't leave it out.
    Mule
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
    Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

  4. #4
    New Member ohmgrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    15

    Great info

    Thanks so much Skskinner and AS,


    That is exactly what I was looking for, someone who has used multiple designs.


    More and More it seems that the Maccat is going to fulfill just about all my needs. I will be traveling to Malaysia here in about 4 months. I have an HH, that I recently retired and opted to trust my first instinct and go with the Clark. Glad I did. Regardless the XL on the Clark, can handle just about anything thrown at it, but I would like a little more room. Malaysia is obviously going to be a fairly overgrown environment to I have to take this into consideration when trying to set up a tarp. My only problem at this point is that I can't seem to get Brian to respond to emails. I understand he's busy with school, however, if anything, correspondence is always nice just to keep people in the know. This is an area of concern for me. If I need assistance with something in the long run, where will I be? Consumer confidence, in my mind doesn't always reside within the realm of an outstanding product, but how the "seller" backs it. Anyway I'm not trying to knock him, I respect him for his ambitions. the more that I look at everything I really think the cat cut will suit my needs. Thanks so much for your input!!

  5. #5
    ohmgrown: can you offer some side to side comparisons with the HH and the Clark? Thanks.

  6. #6
    New Member ohmgrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    15

    Personal opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    ohmgrown: can you offer some side to side comparisons with the HH and the Clark? Thanks.

    As of right now, I have not spent considerable time in the Clark, so to post side * side personal opinion comparisons would be somewhat unfounded. But this came down to more of a personal versatility opinion.

    1.st I don't really care for entering the hammock from the underside. To me this is rather cumbersome. Getting in resetting the pad. Getting into my bag, all of this just was more or less a pain in the a** for me. The Clark has a hand loop at the top, and in the event that I do slide or need to reposition, this definitly helps.

    2. The ability to remove the netting and have open air. I like that option, this is possible on the HH, however I have also ripped my netting doing this. WHICH IS TERRIBLE! Tom was extremely helpful in this situation.

    3. People will say that you save weight with the HH. The truth is, is that if it's a 3 season you probably can save weight. Because you can shed shells as you please. However, when it all comes down to it with the HH fully decked out, it actually weighs more. Only by a couple ounces. and overall, I'm not concerned with carrying a few extra ounces all the time. Especially that I have the peace of mind that if hell was to freeze over, over night in the death valley, I would be prepared to face it. Extreme reach I know, but this again is my own opinion, and that is something that puts my mind at rest. And overall that's what we're looking for here right.. a good place to rest!!

    4. I like pockets. The Clark NA has plenty!

    So I can post both sites here, and you can see all the feature rich detail that both systems have. In the end, it's like anything else- No matter who tells you what, and how correct or incorrect they may be, it's going to come down to your own personal assumptions, trials and errors, and opinion. I will be more than happy to answer any other questions you may have to the ability in which I can. I hope this helps a bit

    Are you in the market for a new hammock??


    http://www.junglehammock.com/

    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

  7. #7
    New Member ohmgrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    15

    Hooch

    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    ohmgrown,
    These are just rambling comments of a old man.
    I have had that same Integral Designs Tarp, 8 x 10, for some time now and used to use it with both my ID Bivy and now with hammocks. I also have a MacCat, specially made with a 14 foot ridgeline instead of a 12.
    For the hammock, I think the MacCat is hard to beat. I bought it after going to RRG with Ceribus, Headchange4u, Grizzly Adams and Hooch. Some of them were using the MacCat or the Speer Winter Tarp.
    Now since I also owned the SWT for a short period, I will tell you my thoughts on all three while I at it on the MC and the ID.
    I am very fond of the ID 8x10 when sleeping on the ground because you can pitch a rectangular tarp in so many more configurations than you can the MC. It can be pitched very low to the ground and when done that way seems huge for it's coverage, and invites others to come over and partake of your coffee, cookies and dry space. I also like it for a hammock for the coverage you can get to cook under, etc., BECAUSE of the rectangular shape. The only drawbacks are using it in wind and since I use hammocks that are 10 feet or longer, I need more ridgeline. Pitching the ID as an asym. daimond works well though, but still a little short in the ridgeline and the coverage. The ID is simple and versatkile, but small. I loan it out to would-be hammockers for a first time experience, and if I know it's going to be rainy and others are going, I will be throwing it in for a common meeting place for all, sometimes.
    The SWT (and the MC with their Cat Cuts) allows you to make a few configurations that the ID cannot make, of course. I only used the SWT once in the woods, then took it down and put up my stock Claytor tarp (I took both). I found the SWT too complicated to pitch over a lot of fallen logs, etc. To pitch it in a tight wooded area was going to be a hassle, I could see, every time. As for the cool way you can close off the ends, it was quite good, but I like to see the sky whenever it's not raining or blowing. Too complicated for my taste, though a gorgeous piece of silnylon for sure. I sold it to Cerebus and bought my MC.
    The MacCat pitches so tight and covers so well, especially with the 14 foot ridgeline, that I cannot see myself using any other tarp that I have, with the possible exception of the stock Claytor when wanting to go stealth. The MC is all the coverage one would ever need unless you were cooking in the wind and rain. In that case the SWT would be hard to beat.
    Take a look at some photos of all three. These the best photos I have of the three and do not illustrate well many of the points mentioned above.
    Check out the MC photo with HOOCH FALLING OUT OF HIS HAMMOCK WITH HIS PANT OFF. It shows a MC pitched in such a way I just couldn't leave it out.
    Mule
    Hillarious pics! Good thing that wasn't close to a cliff. I'm assuming you're talking about the Red River Gorge. Some just fell off a cliff there again last week!!

    I don't know how people do this, it's kinda like.. keep your head up when crossing the road

    Looks like good times!

  8. #8
    Senior Member rasputen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nashville,Tn
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmgrown View Post
    My only problem at this point is that I can't seem to get Brian to respond to emails.
    Hey ohmgrown,

    Brian's been having trouble with his website and thus e-mail. I had the same problem a while back and just happened to catch him here on this site one day and he gave me the following site at school to reach him. Hope this helps.

    bmacmill@mail.rochester.edu
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Posts
    285
    Images
    8
    Flat tarps like the Integral Designs are great for pitching on the ground; they give you lots of pitching options. They work fine between trees, too, but not as well as a MacCat would, which is designed for that one use. If you don't plan to go to ground much, the MacCat's the way to go. If you do a lot of both, the versatility of the flat tarp might pay off.

  10. #10
    New Member ohmgrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    15

    Speer

    Hey guys,

    Thanks for all your input! I got a reply from Brian today, he's had a root canal, and been down for the past couple of days. Anyway,I ended up purchasing the SWT. I think this may hold a bit more versatility for when I head to Malaysia. I can also use it as a double as well if the need arises, as I'm sure that will make my fiance a bit happier too

    I'm sure that in the long run, I'm going to pick up a MacCat at some point. There is no uncertainty that Brian makes an awesome product. I wish him the best!

    Again thank you all for your input, it's greatly appreciated!

    Cheers,
    Ohmgrown

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •