Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Annie,

Been there and done that. I am WAY over on the low cost side of things.

I went though the same "AHA!!" moment when I saw the low $ quilts advertised. The people here pointed out the cotton and also predicted that the "down" would be mostly feathers instead of mostly down. Your quilts list 550 fill, which is not too bad.

I also hiked once with cotton. It rained. I was home a day or two before the dang pants dried out and I warmed up.

When you get all done with a cheap sleeping bag system and get to the Pack it up and load it on your back part, things go to hell in a hurry. Quite simply, the volume becomes impossible to load. That's what happened to me last year with version one.

I wound up with a gearskin type pack (homemade). It uses a blue closed cell pad as the frame. I made a two layer hammock. ( see Risk's Zhammock)The pad fits between the hammock layers. This gets rid of most of the complaints about sleeping on a pad in a hammock. (which are true, if you sleep right on top of the pad)

I got a 50 degree bag from Sportsman's guide. I supplement it with a poncho liner when needed. This has gotten me to 40 degrees or so. All my clothes and rain gear will get me through lower if I ever get caught.

So, I'm down to a 12 pound base weight for sleep and pack weight, without breaking the bank.

My entire pack weight will be around 25 pounds this year, with 4 days food.

You're on the right track. Just keep an eye on the whole hiking system.

Miles of Smiles
    Tom

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Annie,

I'm in the same boat, as far as being on a budget. In fact, I'm so cheap that I bartered some plumbing services for sewing lessons. Now I'm kind of hooked. I just ordered 2 yards of 5 oz Climashield from Thru-hiker for about $35 including shipping. I'm using $1.00 bin fabric for the shell, and doing a tied quilt, just like you are talking about. Total estimated cost is under fifty bucks. It should weigh a touch over a pound, and is rated to 20 degrees. You sound like you've got plenty of sewing experience, perhaps this would be a better route to try?

-Pedro

yeah, climashield isn't that expensive, and you can get ripstop 2nds or even score some $1/yd ripstop from wm.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Come on my Big Bama Buddy, not everyone is thru-hiking the AT or living in the deep south. (What can I say, I have been watching a lot of Scrubs).

I heard Portland sees a couple inches of rain a year. Hopefully I'll find a job out there and find out for myself.
    I'd rather be thru-hiking the AT, the PCT, the CDT, and floating the Mississippi. And somewhere along the way a cross continent bike trip, and sailing the Caribbean. But, alas, a wife, mortgage, and kids, just don't leave enough time...., or $$$ You, however, are free as the wind, Carpe Diem!