Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilit View Post
    Hey all,

Been lurking for a while trying to read up before I start asking questions and get the "use the search" responses. I love backpacking but my back has become a lot more fitfull lately. I'm trying to lighten my pack by ditching the tent. I'm also hoping the hammock will be more comfortable.

I have to say I'm a bit confused about the underquilt/pad thing. I plan on using my 25 degree sleeping bag, so how necessary is a pad or UQ? I typically only backpack in the western Sierras in the summertime. I do have a 3/4 length thermarest pad that I can use, or would a closed cell foam pad be better?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Welcome to HF, Ryan!

As already stated, your bag will flatten from your weight, and won't be near as warm- if warm at all- at those spots of compressed loft. A synthetic bag won't compress as much, but still likely will not be near as warm for your back/butt as on top. Down will probably be near useless under your body weight. You don't need a pad for cushioning, but do need it for insulation. Bottom line, if it is cold enough to really need a bag/quilt on top, you are almost certainly going to need something besides your bag under you. Pad, UQ, HHSS, IX UQ, something. Unless you figure out how to use your bag pod style, wrapped entirely around your hammock. A few have managed to do that quite well.

Pads will for sure get the job done. If you can keep it under you - some can- many can not, varies with person, hammock and pad. That difficulty is why many hammocks have double layer/pad pockets.

wilit
    Quote Originally Posted by aztech View Post
    welcome from the bay area also
    Actually we just recently moved out of the East Bay (Hayward) and moved out to the Central Valley (Tracy). I have to say, being an hour closer to the mountains is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
    Welcome to another Californian!

Mountain air can get chilly at nights. I've hung in the Western Sierras in early fall and in the summer. On two nights I underestimated the nightime lows and suffered a poor night's sleep for it. I use a pad and it keeps my underside warm enough. Your bag should be plenty for a top quilt. First time out take up the pad, and you can experiment with and without the pad for the temperatures you encounter. Compression of the sleeping bag insulation under you might cause you to be cold underneath without the pad, but depending on the temperature the bag might be sufficient.

Which areas of the Western Sierra do you frequent?

-Mike
    Most of the backpacking I've done has been in the Carson-Icerberg Wilderness. I've got like 3 best friends and we do this one particular trip every year. We usually hike in off of 108 and spend a couple of nights out there. Now that we all live out in the valley, I'm hoping we can expand our horizons and head out to some other places.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. Already getting good advice.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Images
    Most of the backpacking I've done has been in the Carson-Icerberg Wilderness. I've got like 3 best friends and we do this one particular trip every year. We usually hike in off of 108 and spend a couple of nights out there. Now that we all live out in the valley, I'm hoping we can expand our horizons and head out to some other places.
    Practically neighbors. I'm in Stockton. I've been out in the Emmigrant wilderness on the other side of the 108, and up in the Mokelumne wilderness south of the 88.

I think the southern-California contingent is planning a get-together for the 20th of August. Might be a good opportunity to see a variety of setups.

-Mike

Hammock
    wbbb dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Actually we just recently moved out of the East Bay (Hayward) and moved out to the Central Valley (Tracy). I have to say, being an hour closer to the mountains is nice .
    I use to live in modesto, not to far from tracy. It is nicer than the busy citys in the heart of silicone valley

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Winnipeg Mb Canada
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    The thermarest will work fine. Don't inflate it all the way it is comfier that way.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome aboard! Like they said! It also depends on your needs: I've slept cold in a 20-degree sleeping bag in a hammock in 40-degrees. Then I found the pad, and now have an UQ... If you're trying to go lighter than a tent, it's doable, but it's hard to beat an UL tent for weight...

If you want to experiment with a CHEAP underquilt, you can get Military surplus poncho liners for about $20. $5 worth of cord locks and some shock cord, and you have a workable UQ. See here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=poncho+liner

Here it is in action:

I use mine down to 45-degrees or so, and I'm a cold sleeper.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

• + New Posts