Clark NX250 CAMO
    Tarp
    Clark CAMO Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermorest
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Clip

Cold sleeper with info overload...

Hey guys, I am very new to the hammock camping family. I am experiencing a bit of information overload! I have been debating in my head the past few weeks on which way I would go, pad or UQ? I think I have decided that the pad is the way for me, simply because it would afford me the luxury of being able to go to ground. I will one day get an UQ and test those waters, but for now the question is, what are my best options for keeping warm? I will be using a 0* bag and most of my winter camping will be with lows in the 10s-20s but some nights will dip into single digits and flirting with 0. Thanks for the advice...
    We both know I have to kill you now, you'll just have to imagine the fire!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Is it a big, roomy Clark NX-250? But, maybe roomy enough for a pad to migrate to where it is of no benefit? Answers there in the Clark forum.

Good thing about planning for a family is that you can afford to buy a lot of the right evasote and similar padding -- Warbonnet has good recommendations; he is nothing if not thorough in all of his research of components -- with the shipping costs spread [pun] across several pads. Or buy a roll of the stuff and cut your own to save serious $.

Hammock
    Clark NX250 CAMO
    Tarp
    Clark CAMO Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermorest
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Clip
    I currently have a thermorest prolite and my 0* bag. I have yet to camp in any cold weather with them, how low do you think I could go with these? I know it really varies person to person...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    When I first started with hammocks I used my prolite and a couple pieces of ccf t style around shoulders and hips...you'll likely find it's pretty narrow in a hammock. Letting air out helps keep it in place and you might look up an SPE if you have a DIY inclination. With my prolite 4 and ccf I went into the teens just fine. I sleep pretty warm after a big dinner and buttered hot chocolate.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by golfpro1286 View Post
    I currently have a thermorest prolite and my 0* bag. I have yet to camp in any cold weather with them, how low do you think I could go with these? I know it really varies person to person...
    In an NX-250, with its winding-shielding pockets? Real low. Your 0* bag is over-kill on top. What with the added protection of the Clark weather-shield, even just laying on top if it, the insulation is loaded the opposite way of most needed, though.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Your facial apparatus may damage the pad.

On my personal hammock evolution, I started out with a pad for financial reasons - quilts cost a lot of cheese. If you don't have a financial reason to stick with a pad, start out with the UQ. It will be a much smoother transition into winter hammock camping.

In a recent post, someone said, "We pack to our fears." Apparently, your decision to stick with pad for now is based on the fear that you might have to go to ground. A lot of people share your fear, but I'm not one of them. I can envision no scenario that would send me to ground. Those who share your fear will offer various scenarios they are preparing for:

What if you're in a meadow? Well, I wouldn't camp in a meadow. I have a hammock.
    What if you're above treeline? I'd take a tent.
    What if a whoopie sling breaks? I carry a spare.

And here's a company that REALLY worries about having to go to ground, though they're climbers and actually do camp above the treeline:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=kickstarter

I pack to my own fears - but going to ground isn't one of them. Eventually, you may also find that your fear isn't warranted, once you go on enough trips and have empirical evidence that it's not a scenario you want to keep preparing for.

I have slept comfortably with a 0* synthetic bag and a blue ccf pad to 25 degrees. I've heard of people going lower with just a pad, but I'm not willing to try it.

Condensation from the pad is almost certain to be an issue (it was with my son and I). We had to dry out the synthetic bags in the sun each morning. I don't know how a down bag would react to being coupled with a pad - never tried that.

For the temps you're talking about, I'd recommend the UQ. You'll end up there anyway, so why not take the plunge. Most of the replies you get to this post will be from people who "used to" use a pad. I think that tells you something.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    One guy you might want to talk to is Neo. He was a die-hard pad enthusiast, using one since 2002, and only came to the dark side of underquilts this year. Here's a post about his conversion:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52616

Hammock
    Clark NX250 CAMO
    Tarp
    Clark CAMO Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermorest
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Clip
    I really like my pad, I am currently working on a SPE, to help keep it in place inside the hammock. I am also going to look into the Z liner that Clark offers, I kind of passed on it originally, but I think it may would out really well for me, especially since it covers the entire length of the hammock. It also looks like it packs away nice and neat, should be able to fit in my sleep system carrier.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    You're not in much different situation than the HF'er who asked yesterday about his NX-150. See http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...95&postcount=5 and spend some time in the Clark Forum on the Clark system vs UQs.

I think Silvrsrfr offered good advice over and over again in one of his posts in this thread today.

Quote Originally Posted by golfpro1286 View Post
    {...} what are my best options for keeping warm? I will be using a 0* bag and most of my winter camping will be with lows in the 10s-20s but some nights will dip into single digits and flirting with 0. {...}
    I personally have been in the mid-low 30's with a 20* TNF Cat's Meow, Sea-To-Summit Reactor Extreme and a MilSpec ThermaRest - I couldn't have even told you it was cold out, and I even at one point had to vent the bag because I was so warm. Now you said you're a cold sleeper - I'm am as well when I camp out, but I'm a warm sleeper when I'm indoors. That said, I find that I can get some condensation if I'm not careful due to the pad.
    As stated by others above the UQ is 'supposedly' the way to go - I'm not a convert yet, but I'm on my way there as I have a IX under quilt on the todo list. If you don't mind doing the work, the IX UQ isn't too expensive for the products and it may give you the best of both worlds depending on what you're looking for. For instance it is a necessity for me to have some sort of a pad underneath me to prevent pinched nerves in my spine - but I don't like the weight of the MilSpec ThermaRest. I have a ProLite Pro XS that I don't mind carrying, but it's useless in the winter - add the IX UQ and I should be fine. Maybe you may find similar results

Good luck with your journey
    Cheers-
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast