Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Ok, Ok, I give up . I need an UQ.. But???

What Under Quilt fits the Clark NX-250 the best? I'm considering a Down 3/4 UQ of some sort. I honestly don't think I would ever be camping in temps below 20 deg F. I have a brand new 900 fill Marmot Plasma sleeping bag I can use as a Top Quilt etc. So what do you guys think would be the best purchase? All ideas and advice is welcome but im pretty much sold now on the UQ all the other options seem to be quick fixes and just add as much weight to the pack as an UQ would.

Side note: I have been looking at the 3-season Phoenix and the Teawa "Freeze" they are both the same price and almost the same size and have 8oz of down. Also in consideration is the Wilderness logics, it has 9oz of down and it slightly longer. thanks again for any advice.
    Last edited by Aggieland; 07-31-2011 at 04:42.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggieland View Post
    What Under Quilt fits the Clark NX-250 the best? I'm considering a Down 3/4 UQ of some sort. I honestly don't think I would ever be camping in temps below 20 deg F. I have a brand new 900 fill Marmot Plasma sleeping bag I can use as a Top Quilt etc. So what do you guys think would be the best purchase? All ideas and advice is welcome but im pretty much sold now on the UQ all the other options seem to be quick fixes and just add as much weight to the pack as an UQ would.

Side note: I have been looking at the 3-season Phoenix and the Teawa "Freeze" they are both the same price and almost the same size and have 8oz of down. Also in consideration is the Wilderness logics, it has 9oz of down and it slightly longer. thanks again for any advice.
    Go Phoenix!
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Other than the hammock itself the UQ was the single biggest improvement on my hammocking experience. I too have the phoenix and have used it on a HH and Blackbird with much success.

Sorry to ask so many questions but is the HH and black bird basically the same shape as the Clark hammocks. As far as buying underquilts etc goes? I just want to make sure what I buy fits this type of hammock best.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    They are basically the same but there are some differences. The Clark family of hammocks tend to lay a little straighter because the hammock is a little narrower. Regarding the fit of an underquilt, that is kind of a good thing. Since you are laying less on the asym, and you are more in line with the way the quilt is actually attached, you will find that you will need little adjustment to the quilt once it is installed.

Of course you can always call the quilt manufacturer if you are having any kind of fit issues. I hear Stormcrow over at Hammock Gear is not TOO unreasonable to deal with... He might talk your ear off though...

~sc
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I have a Crowsnest, which is the old name for the Phoenix and the one I prefer. I also have quilts from other sources, and they are all excellent, too. But, my two from Stormcrow are a little softer, warmer, with much more loft. When I bought mine, Stormcrow's stuff was less expensive and had better temperature ratings than his competitors, so I purchased from him. My family uses the Burrow (snap footbox) while watching TV or in front of the fire, and it has been renamed "Big Poofy".

I also like the JRB wearable quilts. They are more expensive than comparable quilts from Stormcrow. But, when JRB has a sale, which is often, the wearable quilts are a must have. The wearable quilts can be used as a UQ, TQ, or jacket, wheras Stormcrow's stuff is dedicated.

To get started, I suggest getting a wearable quilt from JRB as a TQ, and get a UQ from Stormcrow. I'm sure the Stormcrow family would be more than happy to fulfill all of your subsequent quilt needs.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Stormcrow sews good vibes and dreams of long walks in the piney woods in his gear.
    Right good stuff.........
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

lol you guys are funny. I have a brand new sleeping bag to use as a TQ so I will try to talk with Scarecrow and see what he has to offer. Now I have to decide on 3/4 or full.. I still have not made up my mind on that one.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This will let you see some full and 1/2 UQs.....
    Maybe will help you decide some.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thank you Shug, your a great guy and without your youtube videos. Myself and many others would still be sleeping on the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast