Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyTom View Post
    Love the ingenuity of your different versions! I can't wrap my head around your ridgepole end set up, but i'm sure you had your reasons (instead of just running it into a standard ridgepole/leg/leg connector (maybe they don't make them).

Glad it's held up!
    The ridgepole end design is because nobody sells welded angled brackets for a kids swing within a reasonable amount. If they did, this would be a much easier design to assemble. This design is kind of like a two legged version of turtle ladys tripod stand, but instead of a third leg, I use bar ends to keep it from swaying too far toward the ends.
    Tag with Home if your thread is more about home hammocks. Thanks!

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Maybe this should be called the Swing Stand, since it is based off a kids swing setup.

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Thread Update!

After over a year, it is still wobbley, still standing, and still in use! No adjustments have been made.

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    And wouldn't you know it, I posted a month too early! The ridgepole broke, almost! One of the middle poles broke at the threads (the thinnest part) and dropped about an inch while I was in it, BUT....it held up! The reinforcements I put around those connections did their job great, stopped the drop, and I continued using it until I got a chance to replace one of the 3 foot poles and coupling (couldn't get the old threads out). Still sleeping in it.

I've been working on a lighter weight pvc version but it has proven to be structurally challenging with all the bending, hah.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird, WB BB
    Tarp
    WB SF, ENO PF
    Insulation
    New River, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Images
    Interesting setup

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Since last post, I removed one of the ridgepole sections and changed the ridgepole connectors to metal conduit couplings. These screw on more threads (hence, better support) and are considerably smaller in diameter. Around those I now have 1 inch pipe tees with a 1 inch to 3/4 bushing on both sides of the tees. No drops yet with these.

I also put the conduit couplings at both ends of the ridgepole and those now sit inside the leg tees instead of sticking out past them.