Tarp
    OES MacCat Std
    Insulation
    IX UQ, XP TQ.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Lightest, most compressible UQ?

I can't decide on what to do for an UQ.

I would like to get something before a trip next month where the temps will dip to maybe 60 at night. Ultimately I need an UQ that will go lower for at least 3 season trips.

I have been looking all over at every UQ made by everyone I can find, including toying with the idea of making my own. I made my own Climashield quilt last month and it ended up around 11oz, so I was happy with that. I figure I could make something for $50-60 in down if I wanted.

I like everything about the Molly Mac Baby Orca, but I am worried about pack size. I like that it can be expanded with inserts to go lower in the window, minimizing the need for multiple UQ's.

So basically wishlist is...
    1) Packs small.
    2) Weighs as little as possible. (would really like 10-12oz or less)
    3) Warm as I can get it.

Not asking too much am I?

Again, I have read through what seems like every post on this forum and browsed all the vendors I can find - but I am hoping someone can give me some guidance.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just sayin- I just got a Summer Breeze from te-wa. It weighed 9.5 on my scale with suspension and in the stuffsack. It has 4 ounces of down. I had te-wa make it 6 inches shorter than a regular Breeze. I haven't tried it out. It packs small. You'll have to email him for a price being it's a custom size. The regular price isn't bad though and I think it weighs around 11 ounces. Nice sewing job and quick turnaround.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Man I have a 3 season Yeti from Warbonnet and I love it. Packs small because it's a partial length quilt, weighs little because it's down and doesn't have all the cinching hardware. It's cut in a way that it snugs up against the hammock without extra cinching hardware. Plus it slides along the hammock by means of the suspension being run through channels on both sides.

Some here will argue for or against partial length quilts. I think the Yeti is a great compromise since you can slide it anywhere you want. I mean, Shug uses one so......

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Methinks the size of the pack for down is a function of your willingness to compress . Small to some is not small to others. Considering $ and how very much down compresses, I'd rather have the option of wider temperature range and a couple of more ounces of down and looseness of fastening to go warmer other direction. YMMV.

I can't be the only noob discovering how much more compression is available by cramming gear into strong plastic and metal cans of known volume. Next: find a stuff sack strong to stand up to that compression.

As JacksRBetter include a compression strap others do not, you might ask them what the costs to loft life are from, ummmm, " testing the breaking strength of that compression strap." And, good gear, they make, too.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-04-2011 at 11:23.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    3 Season Yeti is awesome. Got it down to 27*F

Not sure the suspension will work on the Nano??? not sure I've never used the GT brand. You can check with Brandon at Warbonnetoutdoors.com
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    If you are not averse to sewing, you could make a UQ that would fit you exactly thereby shaving some grams.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=36597

I did and am pretty proud of it.

For a 3 season down UQ, you'll be somewhere between 12-17 ozs depending on the fp and dimensions you end up going.

IX may be a bit lighter, but also more expensive than a DIY UQ.

As for compressability, I've never dealt with IX. As for down - you can get some of these and turn any stuffsack into a compression sack.
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 08-04-2011 at 11:35.

Hammock
    Nano 7 w/BugSock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Std
    Insulation
    IX UQ, XP TQ.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have sent te-wa an email asking about something between a breeze and a flurry. I am thinking 6oz of down, might also ask him about making it a little less wide...need to take some measurements with my Nano 7.

The size it packs down to is of more importance then the weight almost - I plan to carry only a 1500ci pack for summer/3 season trips. Right now I only have a little bit of space free.

Thanks for all the replys so far.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For weight and compressed size there are only 2 options that are somewhat comparable:

1. down
    2. Insultex

Down is a known quantity in terms of loft. Loft will determine both the temperature rating and the compressed size. So, if you want to know exactly what you are getting, then down is your only real choice since none of the synthetics (excluding Insultex below) can compare in terms of compression or weight.

Insultex is a much bigger unknown in terms of temperature rating. In my experience with TeeDee's top and under quilts, the weight and compressed size are almost identical to down. However, the temperature rating is a total unknown.

Both TeeDee and I can tell you the lowest temps we have taken the Insultex with total comfort, but that is not really a scientific observation and it is only 2 people using identical quilts. So right now any rating for Insultex is entirely anecdotal. Whereas with the down top and under quilts, I could quote you the theoretical temperature rating based on the measured loft and it would probably be fairly accurate.

Given the above, if cost is a major factor , then Insultex will be less expensive, especially if you DIY.

There are also other factors such as storage (down requires care in storage and must be stored long term uncompressed, whereas Insultex doesn't require any special consideration for storage and can be stored long term fully compressed), exposure to water ( down is useless when wet, Insultex isn't affected by water). These must also be taken into consideration and how important these factors are to you or will be in the future.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Check out the offerings at HAMMOCK GEAR DOT COM .... lots of good product out there with the cottage vendors but I can't say enough good about my 3S UQ from Adam.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast