Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 69
  1. #11
    Phillipsart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Coast, QLD, Australia
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    542
    I gather there's no I'll effects to your hammock, soaking with permethrin?

  2. #12
    Senior Member wildcrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    the mean street of irons mi
    Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ tq pad
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Posts
    608
    Images
    11
    i mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket and soak everything with it. I dunk everything then hang it up to dry. I then dilute the left over a bit more and treat my dogs with it. The stuff is magic i have sleep next to a swamp without a bugnet except my head net and the only problem i had was the irritating buzz as they swarmed around me but wouldnt land on me.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    jacksonville
    Posts
    193

    soaking

    Aha, finally a good reason to work for a chemical wholesaler that also deals in pesticides....

  4. #14
    Phillipsart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Coast, QLD, Australia
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    542
    I read a report over here to mix 20 mills with 600 mills of water and to soak in the solution for 2 minutes and hang to dry out of the sun. Does this sound right?

  5. #15
    Needs more Hang time Catavarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Posts
    3,519
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    I read a report over here to mix 20 mills with 600 mills of water and to soak in the solution for 2 minutes and hang to dry out of the sun. Does this sound right?
    That would give you a 3.33% solution. Most seem to prefer a 0.05% solution of permethrin. I'm unsure as to if the higher concentration would cause additional problems.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

    Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

    Trail name: Radar

    2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hamburg, PA
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner TQ
    Suspension
    Rings and Biners
    Posts
    53
    Where do you get permethrin?i haven't found it in any local outdoor stores, including Cabela's. I want to soak my hammock.

    As an aside, if you treat swim trunks will it protect against sand fleas? will it wash out and create a problem if you go in the water?

  7. #17
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,448
    Images
    227
    Careful with the math here folks. The Sawyer product is 0.5% permethrin which can also be expressed as 0.005.

    If you are using a higher concentration product you need to dilute it properly.

    10% product, dilute 20:1
    40% product, dilute 80:1

    The values above are for a spray on solution.

    In their dunk kit, you get 6oz of 0.5% permethrin which you then mix with another 12oz of water, making it more dilute. One set of clothes is soaked for at least two hours in that and then hung to dry.

    Additional info here.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    jacksonville
    Posts
    193

    permethrin

    It is used in lawn pest control and in households also for varmints. Probably any local large hardware store will have it in one brand or another. Just look at the label and it will be the first active ingredient. If you have a DIY pest control retail store it will also be there. It is not a restricted chemical so I know it can be bought easily if you don't want to buy the kits.

  9. #19
    Moderator Nighthauk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Haydenville, Ma
    Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcrafter View Post
    i mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket and soak everything with it. I dunk everything then hang it up to dry. I then dilute the left over a bit more and treat my dogs with it. The stuff is magic i have sleep next to a swamp without a bugnet except my head net and the only problem i had was the irritating buzz as they swarmed around me but wouldnt land on me.
    What would be your mixture ratios?
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield


  10. #20
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,465
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    I read a report over here to mix 20 mills with 600 mills of water and to soak in the solution for 2 minutes and hang to dry out of the sun. Does this sound right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    That would give you a 3.33% solution. Most seem to prefer a 0.05% solution of permethrin. I'm unsure as to if the higher concentration would cause additional problems.
    How can you know? What is the starting concentration? 20 mills of what starting %? 20 mills( milliliters?) to 600 would be a 30 to 1 dilution. I use 20 to 1 when I start with 10% Permethrin, 76 to 1 starting with 38% (both to end up with .5%) or a 15.2 to 1 when taking 30% down to 2.5% for my back yard sprayer which is then further diluted by the water hose that hooks up to the sprayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Careful with the math here folks. The Sawyer product is 0.5% permethrin which can also be expressed as 0.005.

    If you are using a higher concentration product you need to dilute it properly.

    10% product, dilute 20:1
    40% product, dilute 80:1

    The values above are for a spray on solution.

    In their dunk kit, you get 6oz of 0.5% permethrin which you then mix with another 12oz of water, making it more dilute. One set of clothes is soaked for at least two hours in that and then hung to dry.

    Additional info here.
    Or, what Knotty said! On a side not, a few days ago I was watering some bushes - really thick rascals so that you can't even see past the leaves unless you part the leaves with your hands. I was watering with a hose rather than a sprinkler, and yellow jackets came swarming out of the top. I quickly backed off, mixed up about 15 oz of .5% ( diluted 1 oz of the 38%), and returned to water the same bushes and that entire side of the house. Sweet! Never even saw one yellow jacket trying to escape. Came back the next day and shook hose same bushes. No yellow jackets to be seen or heard!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •