ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Pad & BigAgnes Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Warmth and multi purpose

I need to purchase some sort of warming system for my hammock but I also need a new sleeping bag (for when i do lame tent based camping and such). I would like to combine these two purchases into 1 somehow. I am wary to simply buy a bag and have a cold bum.

3 season most likely. Small stuff size is desired. Budget is about $100 (I was looking at Coleman's website and they seem to have some sweet deals?!)

Suggestions?

Images
    REI is having a nice sale on a Polar Pod 25F bag for $63. My son has one and loves it. It packs bulky, but works.

I used a top quilt for a few years with my tarp/tent before I switched to a hammock. I find TQ's to be much more practical, but don't know of one that is in your price range.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    department of goods has alot of bags on sale right now check'em out
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Pad & BigAgnes Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    REI is having a nice sale on a Polar Pod 25F bag for $63. My son has one and loves it. It packs bulky, but works.

I used a top quilt for a few years with my tarp/tent before I switched to a hammock. I find TQ's to be much more practical, but don't know of one that is in your price range.
    I suppose if something could fill all requirements I could raise the budget a bit.

The newer sleeping 'systems' from Big Agnes and others are an adaptation from hammocks; they aren't putting insulation in the bottom of the bag - your air mattress provides the insulation under you. You can use your TQ or UQ as a sleeping bag if you have a good insulating pad under you. Spend the money to up-grade your hang's quilt(s) and use it/them when you go to ground.

[I found the wonderful world of hammocks looking for 'outdoor sleeping quilts'. That led to JRB, then HH, then HF...]

Ray Jardine goes into it at his site: http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm
    Last edited by cardo; 08-31-2011 at 09:47. Reason: added Ray

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kehlopolis View Post
    I suppose if something could fill all requirements I could raise the budget a bit.
    Any one of the TQ's made from one of the vendors on this site will do just fine for both hammock and tent. Many folks rave of the quality of Stormcrow's Burrow on hammockgear.com, or the line of quilts made by Jacks R Better for versatility and multi use (TQ, UQ, serape).

Have fun choosing!

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Quote Originally Posted by kehlopolis View Post
    I am wary to simply buy a bag and have a cold bum.
    Maybe I am misreading the post, but if you're relying on just the bag to keep you warm, your butt will be cold. Laying on the bag compresses all of the loft, and leaves you with very little protection underneath. Lots of people, however, just use their ground pads in the hammock. Closed cell foam is cheap and very effective. To be honest, your bottom insulation will actually matter more in the hammock than the top. I've been on a number of trips where I just brought my UQ and didn't need any top insulation at all. I just wore long underwear or my fleece.

That being said, you can easily use a sleeping bag as your top insulation or invest in a top quilt. I still go to ground and I have top quilts that I use for both the hammock and the tent. The RAB Quantum bag at Department of Goods is within your price range (and seems like a nice down bag to boot), and it may be what you're after. There have been some threads about cutting down the back of the thing to make it a top quilt. Or if you prefer, leave it more like a bag for your ground adventures. Only downside is the height limit. I think some of the other guys have said if you're much taller than 5'10" it gets too short.

If you're looking to spend more money, several of the vendors sell excellent top quilts you can use on the ground. The generally have little ties or extra fabric you can use to tuck under your pad on the ground.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Pad & BigAgnes Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lymphocytosis View Post
    Maybe I am misreading the post, but if you're relying on just the bag to keep you warm, your butt will be cold. Laying on the bag compresses all of the loft, and leaves you with very little protection underneath. Lots of people, however, just use their ground pads in the hammock. Closed cell foam is cheap and very effective. To be honest, your bottom insulation will actually matter more in the hammock than the top. I've been on a number of trips where I just brought my UQ and didn't need any top insulation at all. I just wore long underwear or my fleece.

That being said, you can easily use a sleeping bag as your top insulation or invest in a top quilt. I still go to ground and I have top quilts that I use for both the hammock and the tent. The RAB Quantum bag at Department of Goods is within your price range (and seems like a nice down bag to boot), and it may be what you're after. There have been some threads about cutting down the back of the thing to make it a top quilt. Or if you prefer, leave it more like a bag for your ground adventures. Only downside is the height limit. I think some of the other guys have said if you're much taller than 5'10" it gets too short.

If you're looking to spend more money, several of the vendors sell excellent top quilts you can use on the ground. The generally have little ties or extra fabric you can use to tuck under your pad on the ground.
    Thanks, great info. ill have to weigh my options

Hammock
    90 Degree Gamma UL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by lymphocytosis View Post
    Note that if you cut open the back of the RAB Quantum, you may find it hard to stay underneath if you are sleeping on the ground. Its a very lightweight bag and the insulated area is pretty narrow - as a quilt, if you move around or are a side sleeper, it may not stay in position. You can see about picking up the RAB Quantum AR - it is shorter, but has a wider insulated area - plus it is cheaper. It has a hood that you maybe you can cut off and use for overfilling the rest of the bag.

The GoLite RS1+ Long is still available for $98 as of now. Its going to be heavier than the RAB, and isn't down, and only really good down to about 50 degrees, but its a quilt from the get-go and should be enough for longer and wider people.
    Last edited by syc; 09-01-2011 at 01:09.

I am really enjoying my FYI - Kelty Coromell 25F 550-fill Down Sleeping Bag, it is very well made and is doing exactly what you are after, being used as a multi-use sleeping bag/top quilt.

there is a Winter version of it rated at 0 degrees if you need something warmer.
    Happy Hanging ....
    LeDude ...

• + New Posts