Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images

Wunder Slings - Economical insulation solution for the Chrysalis

Gumbo and I are calling it the Wunder Sling. It doesn’t seem terribly innovative so if somebody thought of this before, well… I guess we just re-invented the wheel.

The basic idea is to add a second layer to the pre-2011, single layer Chrysalis so you can add a pad (without it sliding around) or even an underquilt if more insulation is desired.

Chrysalis flipped to show underside with Wunder Sling in place

We started with a trip to JoAnn’s, armed with a fist full of coupons, to get 1 1/2 yd of ripstop, two rolls of 5/8 grosgrain, and a spool of thread. That’s enough to make two Wunder Slings – which is good because there are two of us. (cost for two: fabric $8.39, grosgrain $2.99, thread $0.75, tax $0.79, total $12.92)

Hey, if I can sew, you can sew!

Weight is nominal – maybe an ounce or two, but the Chrysalis was never a hammock for the gramophobes anyway.

Important learning experience here: WORKING TOGETHER one person rolled the grosgrain into the edges and held it while the other put in a whole bunch of pins. Nylon is slippery (duh) and it’s a LOT easier to manage with an extra set of hands. Once pinned, we sewed up the inside edge of the rolled hem and then down the outside edge. We left enough grosgrain sticking out each corner to form a loop and tuck the end inside the roll and sew in some reinforcements. The whole thing is actually a rectangular grosgrain “frame” with a nylon sling.

The corner attachment points connect with some stretchy stuff to the ends of the spreader bars with lark’s heads and toggles. Right now we’re using our daughter’s hairbands (shhhh – she doesn’t know) until we make some shock cord loops.

Once in place you can put in your pad for a minimal amount of protection, a light down throw to dial it up a bit or stack’em for even more.

Lying in the hammock will take up the air space between you and the sling.

Never one to leave good enough alone, I brought out our king size, winter weight, down comforter from the bedroom and it held up fine.

Gumbo reported being nice and warm in a cozy, down-filled cocoon. (of course it was over 90* outside and our test spot is in direct sun, so yeah – she was plenty warm)

The Wunder Sling with toggles fits in the stuff sack with the quilt

Our thinking is to use this to provide insulation underneath and then just sleep in a conventional sleeping bag for insulation on the sides and top. Add as many layers as you need. Of course your sleeping bag will be compressed under you but the Wunder Sling provides enough slack so your insulation underneath the hammock isn’t compressed.

The Chrysalis is a different sort of hammock and calls for a different approach to insulation. The Wundersling builds on its well-designed structural elements to provide a more versatile hammock. I like to think of it as standing on the shoulders of giants.

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Timberr, That's very professional work there. Freat idea. You look right at home behind that thread injector and Gumbo definitely is comfortable in that hammock!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Timberr, That's very professional work there. Freat idea. You look right at home behind that thread injector and Gumbo definitely is comfortable in that hammock!
    I guess it's good that he bought me my own Chrysalis so now I don't have to take his from him.

Hammock
    Eureka Chrysalis
    Tarp
    Looking for one...
    Insulation
    Ideas?
    Interesting! I am looking for UQ ideas for my Chrysalis and you may have provided me with some food for thought. Great idea.

Nicely done. Looks comfy!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    You two are looking great on this project! and you made it look so easy.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice! What kind/type pad is that in the second picture?
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Nice! What kind/type pad is that in the second picture?
    Ahh, the pad...
    From time to time Gumbo and I will hit Sports Authority (aka Academy Sports) to see if they have any useful camping gear on sale. On one such occaision they had a yoga display in the middle of the store and these roll-up yoga mats were something like 60% off. They have a nice soft, padded surface on one side and are the right size for a butt-to-head length sleeping pad. So we agreed to give them a try and they work GREAT! We haven't seen them since so we couldn't pick up any spares.
    On a related story. That's also how we got the light weight, 5'x5' down throw you see pictured. We knew they would be a hit so we bought six of them, kept two, and PIF'd the rest.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Could you give specific measurements of the materials needed for one of these wunder-slings (WS)? Or maybe some schematics ? Your measurements seem to be spot on, so no need for me to guesstimate or re-invent the wheel.

Also, could I replace the nylon grosgrain with tubes for bungee cord ? Or do you think it wouldn't hold the sling in place well enough and does it really nééd to be something none stretch ?

And I'm also wondering about the following: will the WS stay dry and keep it's stuffings (whether they be a mat or fabric stuffs) dry in rain without using a tarp ? Maybe if I use my waterproof material and make an sleeve with velcro instead of just a sling... But wouldn't water then get in between the hammock and the sling whilst it's raining when I'm not using it...

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the chrysalis since it's on discount here right now (need to know it can hang from turtleladies bamboo stand first) and already have a "normal" full length diy uq for my eno DN. With your solution I can still use the thing and just shove it in between, which is great.

When I do decide I'm ordering it, I want to get busy on making your wunder-sling. Which I would do before I would actually have the hammock. So specific measurements (finished WS, parts of fabric, ...) would come in handy. Thanks !!!
    Last edited by kreecher; 10-05-2011 at 03:55.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Glad to re-find this thread

I've been sleeping in a Chrysalis at home for a while now and have been wondering how to get beyond the pad in the double bottom....my 'normal' underquilts for gathered end hammocks dont quite work

• + New Posts