Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Dog Hammock: things not to do when you do this

When you look at the enlarged image (and click on it twice to see it really large) you'll note that instead of being a gathered end, it has cords on each end connected to the suspension. This cuts down the weight a bit, but the real reason I used them is they were already there as part of the hammock that I later modified into a dog hammock. Don't do this if you make a dog hammock; just use a gathered end design scaled down a bit.

The blue bottom fabric is part of a hybrid down and synthetic insulating layer because my dog doesn't have a warm coat. It's complicated to make, and it compresses if the hammock is resting on the ground, so don't do this either. Instead, make a pad pocket of silnylon attached to the bottom of the hammock bed. The pad should run cross-wise, not lengthwise.

The olive green fabric walls on three sides are there to provide some wind protection, but mostly to keep my dog from stepping between the end suspension cords and getting tangled up. You don't really need them, either.

The picture shows the dog hammock under my hammock. It's better to hang it slightly to one side. I usually find three trees to hang from, with two at one end that are 2' apart or so. That keeps the dog hammock under my tarp, but gives the dog some headroom so he can get up and turn around during the night (which dogs do.)

The one thing this picture shows that you should do is use supplex or some other tough fabric for the hammock bed. It's soft and comfortable, but strong enough to withstand dog toenails. Also you can sew the silnylon pad pocket to it without weakening it.

Keeping your dog's hammock strong and simple like this will let him use it as a ground pad also, which he may prefer, but will permit hanging it if the ground is wet or sloping or rocky. (On smooth slopes, you can tie the downhill end up to a tree, but leave the other end staked to the ground if you want. It keeps your dog from sliding off the mat or rolling downhill.)

Use the hammock for a dogbed at home before heading into the woods with it. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing/Rings

Thanks for the description David!!!

I really appreciate your description on how to and how not to make a dog hammock!!! And that's a great tip on using it as a dog bed at home!!!

A dog-specific hammock is now on my sewing list (the list just keeps getting longer and longer!)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234