Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Santeetlah is gorgeous. One thing I found interesting when paddle camping there was seeing tents at almost every campsite...after a while I became suspicious in a way and paddled over to some of them to discovery no one was there. Finally found an unoccupied sight and set up for the night. The next day while paddle exploring found more of the campsites 'claimed'. My best guess is that locals from the surrounding area claim a sight early in the season and leave an econo tent there staking claim on it.
    It is one of the finger lakes of the south and is worth paddling for the scenic beauty. I'll be curious as to how you find the campsite situation.
    Leaving a car at the boat ramp is not needed. You can unload and leave your car across the street at the rangers station to remove some fear of theft.
    Good diner in Robbinsville and if no one has done the Joyce Kilmer plan on at least doing the loop hike there-last time I did it there was in January and in 10-14 inches of snow.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    My best guess is that locals from the surrounding area claim a sight early in the season and leave an econo tent there staking claim on it.
    Interesting, I have seen that before on Holston Lake. Never understood why they feel it can't be shared by all.

Leaving a car at the boat ramp is not needed. You can unload and leave your car across the street at the rangers station to remove some fear of theft.
    That's always a good thing to know, Thanks!

Good diner in Robbinsville and if no one has done the Joyce Kilmer plan on at least doing the loop hike there-last time I did it there was in January and in 10-14 inches of snow.
    That's a good plan. Last time I did it it (1988) was in the fall with beautiful colors and is what I'm hoping for again!
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Santeetlah is gorgeous. One thing I found interesting when paddle camping there was seeing tents at almost every campsite...after a while I became suspicious in a way and paddled over to some of them to discovery no one was there. Finally found an unoccupied sight and set up for the night. The next day while paddle exploring found more of the campsites 'claimed'. My best guess is that locals from the surrounding area claim a sight early in the season and leave an econo tent there staking claim on it.
    I recently found that same thing on some islands on the Hudson river. Selfish camping.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    Henry Shires Tarp Tent
    Tarp
    with a tent?
    Insulation
    Helium down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    I'm looking at paddle/camping Lake Santeetlah in the fall probably early October. Does anybody have information on this lake? It's in the GSMNP about 20 miles out of Robbinsville, NC.

I like wilderness camping and try to avoid established campgrounds so finding a hide away spot to paddle to is my preference.

Thanks, Cakes
    did you ever make it there?
    There are times that the only way you can do something is alone that waiting on the convenience of others means that a lot of opportunities will pass you by
    Spirit Walker

Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool. ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    No, I didn't get back over there. I did do that trip on Calderwood though and it turned out great. As I read back over these posts you were going to post some pics. I'd really like to see them please.

And if there is interest I will start a planning thread for Santeetlah say...April? Just chime in!

Hammock
    Henry Shires Tarp Tent
    Tarp
    with a tent?
    Insulation
    Helium down bag
    here you go. The pics aren't that great because I left my camera at home so these pics were taken with a disposable camera
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are times that the only way you can do something is alone that waiting on the convenience of others means that a lot of opportunities will pass you by
    Spirit Walker

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Those are great pics! It looks like you went with a big group too. Thanks

Hammock
    Henry Shires Tarp Tent
    Tarp
    with a tent?
    Insulation
    Helium down bag
    there was quite a few of us. One group camped on an island while the rest of us camped near by
    Spirit Walker

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    looks like the gears are turning in your head Cakes-2012 Santeetlah Group Hang?

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    looks like the gears are turning in your head Cakes-2012 Santeetlah Group Hang?
    It looks like the place to go....Who else wants to go?