Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Why choose Warbonnet over others?

I'm new to hammocks and as usual jumped off the deep end and bought a Clark NX-250. And now that I have started reading this forum etc, I see a lot of experienced hammock people choose the Warbonnet brand, especially the Blackbird. Just wondering what they are like and why you choose this brand over other brands besides price. I have never seen or used any brand besides Clark and I really like the Clark but at the same time, i'm always looking for what fits my needs best. Thanks for any advice/comments.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I picked the WBBB for the lightweight, footbox, shelf, bugnet tie outs, bugnet, integrated ridgeline, and because it's cool to say "blackbird". That's just me, ya gotta go with what works for you. I also have an Eno double that I love.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

explain the footbox please?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggieland View Post
    explain the footbox please?
    It's an extra roomy area to the right of the foot area that lets you get into a really nice diagonal lay. I believe you can order it to have the entrance on the other side so the footbox would be to your left. I would double check with Brandon before ordering though.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You will find enthusiastic proponents of most of the hammocks out there, and some of that enthusiasm is people defending their own purchasing decisions. Sleeping in a hammock is a learned skill and also a very individual thing. Hammocks vary, but so do people. I'd suggest that you get to know your Clark really well, but also take opportunities to try other hammocks, and make your own decision. (But DIY hammocks are best. You can trust me. )

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I like the WBBB because it is the perfect mix between features and price
    and out of all the hammocks i tried over the years it's the best nights sleep i had ...

the footbox to me is a must now that i have one i can't go without it

the shelf is just great... it's very handy

overall to me the WBBB is the best hammock out there
    like WV said it all comes down to what YOU like .... and what fits your needs
    i hear lots of great things about the clark NX 250 so don't go and toss it to the side just yet play around with it and see if it's for you.. if not sell it and get something else...

another thing i like about the WBBB is it's resale value... you can get back just about all you money if your not happy and it will sell fast

you sell lots of clarks and HH's sit for months befor someone buys it ...
    the thing that hurts the clarks resale is the price.. there not cheap hammocks and it's hard for most ppl to dump $400 on a used hammock when they can get a full setup for that if they shop around new...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Many good responses... warbonnet is my favorite for various reasons. Here's a video review I did on both hammocks:

"If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Great video Raul! Those little popup closups and different views are the bomb! I gotta learn that stuff.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I have both a NX-250 and a WBBB 1.7 double.

IMO, they are different animals.

I bought the CJH last year primarily for weather protection. I liked the integrated weather cover and the under=pockets. Both work well, and it is a roomy, airy hammock.

I bought the WBBB this year with the intention of passing my HH Explorer on to a God Son. I was impressed with the fans here on HF, and I liked the idea of the double bottom as a means of locating a layer of insulation (fleece, CCF) for my back & kidneys. Conventional wisdom is that keeping both warm, even in the summer, is the key to minimizing nocturnal watering expeditions. And I had little success in keeping insulation in place inside my HH.

So, basically, I have a summer hammock and a winter hammock. Love them both.

Jim

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images
    Aggieland,

Most people choose a hammock to fit there hiking or camping style. It's hard to pick out what would be the best hammock for your needs untill you gain more experience with what different manufactures offer in styles and features that are in more align with your Hiking/Camping needs.

Going to hammock hangs is a great way of checking out different type hammocks and gear. Hangers love to show off and talk about their gear and are very proficient on the usages of them.

For example there are hammocks that have bugnets incorporated with the hammock. Some hammocks have no bug nets, Some have a double layer to allow pads or other forms of insulation to slip between the material to better hold them in place. Other hammocks are just made as single layer. Some hammocks have high fabric sides, some have verry little. What works for you and suites your needs or preferences might be different from others. As they old adage says: Hike Your Own Hike (HYOH). Or Your Milage May Vary (YMMV).

With that said you have chosen IMO a bomb proof hammock that has many solid features and most likely will serve you well in years to come.

One of the biggest difference between a WB 1.1 Double Layer and your Clark NX-250 is the weight and price.

Blackbird Double Layer 1.1(Olive Brown)
    24oz / 27oz
    Wt. Limit 275

Mamajamba w/panel pulls: olive brown
    132"x120"
    13.5oz

Total= 40.5 Converts to 2.5 lbs

NX-250: 3 lbs 10 oz / 1.64 kg
    • Max Load: 700 lbs. / 318 kg

Not sure if the NX-250 includes the Tarp weight but believe it does.

Wt. Difference-
    NX-250: 3 lbs 10 oz (Think Tarp is included also) Vs Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double layer pus tarp 2.5 lbs.

Price Difference:
    Clark NX-250 = $429.00
    WBB 1.1 Double Layer and Mamajamba w/panel pulls = $285.00

If you are a light or ultralight hiker you may opt for a lighter hammock setup. Might be carrying weight of a hammock sleep system doesn't matter at all to you.

Very possible you might end up with another one or 2 hammocks depending on the type of hiking or weather conditions you might plan to be encountering.

I'm not an expert by any stretch but comment only on my own experiences and what I have researched or read on other's postings on HF.

Hope this helps or might give you some answers or food for thought to your question.

Happy Trails...

P.S. I posted a review on my WBB 1.0 Double Layer a while back. If interested you can view it here: (Also has some pics)

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32359
    Last edited by HWS; 08-13-2011 at 21:28.
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast