Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member john30563's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mount Airy, GA
    Posts
    127

    Hammock for kids!?

    Hey, OK my 7 year old is ready for her first overnighter. She also wants to hammock like dad. She is 54 inches tall, weighs about 70 pounds. Can I get by with 1.1 or should I go ahead and get her 1.9 for her hammock? I want her to be able to use it more than once of course. I really would like to get a few years use out of it. At 54 inches tall, and potentially 64 or 66 in the next three years at the rate she's growing, I am thinking of going about 9 feet long before whipping. Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

  2. #2
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,156
    Images
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    Hey, OK my 7 year old is ready for her first overnighter. She also wants to hammock like dad. She is 54 inches tall, weighs about 70 pounds. Can I get by with 1.1 or should I go ahead and get her 1.9 for her hammock? I want her to be able to use it more than once of course. I really would like to get a few years use out of it. At 54 inches tall, and potentially 64 or 66 in the next three years at the rate she's growing, I am thinking of going about 9 feet long before whipping. Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    get her an ebay jungle hammock,here is a pick of my youngest son in his last weekend neo

    http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAVEL-CAMPING-H...742.m153.l1262

    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...age.php?i=2996

    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11
    the matrix has you

  3. #3
    Senior Member john30563's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mount Airy, GA
    Posts
    127
    Oh yeah, that would be perfect............except for the color. I have a female on my hands here. She is very picky. And she is dead set on a "purple" hammock. And being the accommodating dad I am, I told her I thought that was perfectly doable. She would possibly even back out on the trip over the color. I have already had to buy a pink/purple sleeping bag!

    Might pick up one of those jungle hammocks for my 6 year old son though. That would be right up his alley!! Thanks!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    633
    Images
    11
    Interesting topic, I have been contemplating making one for my almost 4 year old daughter. At this stage, I think I need stronger fabric for her than for myself. She sometimes goes crazy and rolls around and does flips like you wouldn't believe possible in a hammock. And of course all the while wearing her shoes with the metal buckles that are sure to tear the hammock eventually.

    Weight-wise, I wouldn't be concerned about 1.1oz fabric. But for some reason I feel like 1.1 might not be tear resistant enough to stand up to the abuse of a little kid. Maybe at 7 they are wiser and that's no longer a concern (please, tell me it is so!).

    Anyway, great that you get to spend some time with your daughter in the woods. I hope you have a great trip and that many more will follow after the first one.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    CA Central Valley
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Posts
    1,295

    Talking

    You could always get her a http://www.thetreepeecompany.com/.

    I wonder what it costs in USD?

  6. #6
    Senior Member john30563's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mount Airy, GA
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    You could always get her a http://www.thetreepeecompany.com/.

    I wonder what it costs in USD?
    Good lord, what does it weigh???

  7. #7
    Senior Member gunn parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Posts
    758
    Images
    62
    Hi There
    My daughter was nine when I made her first hammock, I just made it about a foot longer then her at each end or two foot longer than her total height.

    She is now ten and quickly out grew that first one and so I bought her a full size adult one now which she will have for years and with the weight of it still not very heavy to carry.

    The first one I made out of some very cheap, but very bright material and she loved it. Good luck with it.
    Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

    My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

    Proud member since May 2007

  8. #8
    Senior Member FreeTheWeasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    190
    Images
    45
    I don't know if Hennessy still has them, but i bought my daughter a purple Ultralight backpacker with yellow trim and a bright blue fly. You'll have to call or email them and ask for their clearance list. If you do manage to grab one (and it is a full size model suitable for an adult) you may be surprised, as I was, to find that it weighed less than the more expensive (but more subdued) hyperlight.

    My daughter loves her hammock. She's just about seven.

    FreeTheWeasel

  9. #9
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    I don't know if Hennessy still has them, but i bought my daughter a purple Ultralight backpacker with yellow trim and a bright blue fly. You'll have to call or email them and ask for their clearance list. If you do manage to grab one (and it is a full size model suitable for an adult) you may be surprised, as I was, to find that it weighed less than the more expensive (but more subdued) hyperlight.

    My daughter loves her hammock. She's just about seven.

    FreeTheWeasel
    Last year I made my oldest daughter a purple DIY hammock. She got to use it for the first time at MAHHA and really liked it. Purple must be a popular color!

    Oh, I think it was around 9' long, and made with 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon.


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

  10. #10
    Senior Member gunn parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Posts
    758
    Images
    62
    Purple is good, my very first diy hammock for myself was made from purple ripstop. have been using it for months.
    Here is a photo of it set up on my back porch after one of the first nights I spent in it.
    Gunn

    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

    My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

    Proud member since May 2007

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •