Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49
  1. #21
    Senior Member photomankc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Adjustable Strap
    Posts
    261
    Images
    21
    Very cool. I think I'll give this a try with my Clark. No serious modification needed to allow for it and tying the trucker's hitch into the rope has been hard to undo for me. Pretty slick.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Bump.

    Any thoughts on using the truckers hitch idea crossed with the ring buckle system? Instead of using seperate tree huggers, use the biner and webbing like the ring buckle system. Then using a slip knot to tie the webbing directly to 1 decending ring. This would mean only 1 ring is needed per side, saving a little weight. The big thing for me is it would be easier to undo. I keep having issues undoing the webbing from the rings if I pull the hammock too tight.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  3. #23
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Bump.

    Any thoughts on using the truckers hitch idea crossed with the ring buckle system? Instead of using seperate tree huggers, use the biner and webbing like the ring buckle system. Then using a slip knot to tie the webbing directly to 1 decending ring. This would mean only 1 ring is needed per side, saving a little weight. The big thing for me is it would be easier to undo. I keep having issues undoing the webbing from the rings if I pull the hammock too tight.
    This is a little different, but strives to reduce weight by using rope rather than webbing. Uses one ring per side.

    1. Double looped webbing, line tied to webbing with a double sheetbend.

    2. Ring attached to line, line to biner on hammock, back-and-forth, simple slippery half-hitch holds it.

    I like it. Only down-side is that to set up and take down I need to separate the hammock and webbing+cord. Could deal with that by putting a biner up at the webbing side, but two biners == 2 oz, minimum.

    My lightweight bridge doesn't use a biner, just a loop of cord. Same principles apply.

    I've tried even eliminating the ring with a loop in the cord, but this Vectran 12 binds pretty easily and they've proven to be hard to undo. So it was back to the ring for me.


    Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 06-16-2008 at 21:26. Reason: get the photo link correct

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Thanks. I guess weight wise I would only be cutting an oz or so. You system looks good, just a little too busy for me. I'll have to give it a try and report back.

    At one point, I think from Brandan somewhere, give a link to some sprectra webbing, or Dyneema. I think I am going to give that a go sometime soon. I little pricey, but it shouldn't stretch and will be lighter. The only drawback is it is .5" wide, so I will have to go around the tree a couple times not to do damage to the bark.

    I am trying to get the total number of pieces in my setup down as low as I can so I can have less to keep track of. That and I want to keep everything painfully simple. One issue I always find with my hammock is that in a pinch, most people won't be able to set it up if I can't. Then again most people could set my tarp up and I could get under.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    At one point, I think from Brandan somewhere, give a link to some sprectra webbing, or Dyneema. I think I am going to give that a go sometime soon. I little pricey, but it shouldn't stretch and will be lighter. The only drawback is it is .5" wide, so I will have to go around the tree a couple times not to do damage to the bark.
    that spectra webbing is rated to 4000?# www.yatesgear.com , so it's actually not lighter. the lightest webbing i know of is the heavyweight polypro webbing which is around 5-6 g/ft, and the owf camo polyester is a very close second in weight (6.1g/ft) and more than twice as strong (2000#) and probably stretches less. there was some discussion at some point about using that stuff called mule tape that electricians pull wires through conduit with. they make different kinds, polyester, kevelar and possibly dyneema in different strengths and widths. i have a short piece that i found that looks really light and has 1200# printed on the side.

    go with the owf camo though, it is good stuff and stretches very little. i've never used the heavyweight polypro so i can't really comment on how it performs, but i did order some of the 1" seatbelt polyester webbing from strapworks that alot of people here are using and found it to be quite a bit heavier at around 8-9 g/ft.

  6. #26
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Thanks. I guess weight wise I would only be cutting an oz or so. You system looks good, just a little too busy for me. I'll have to give it a try and report back.
    Forget the green line (to hold up a bugnet), the orange line (ridgeline), and red+black line (to the hammock). That biner is grand central station. All that should matter to you is the white line between ring and biner, and if you're doing a trucker's hitch then no matter what else is going on, you're doing some back and forth. In this picture I did a lot just to take up the available cord.

    As busy as it needs to be, and no more.

    Grizz

  7. #27
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post

    go with the owf camo though, it is good stuff and stretches very little. i've never used the heavyweight polypro so i can't really comment on how it performs, but i did order some of the 1" seatbelt polyester webbing from strapworks that alot of people here are using and found it to be quite a bit heavier at around 8-9 g/ft.
    someone somewhere else said OWF isn't selling that anymore! I looked but didn't find it.

    Grizz

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    that spectra webbing is rated to 4000?# www.yatesgear.com , so it's actually not lighter. the lightest webbing i know of is the heavyweight polypro webbing which is around 5-6 g/ft, and the owf camo polyester is a very close second in weight (6.1g/ft) and more than twice as strong (2000#) and probably stretches less. there was some discussion at some point about using that stuff called mule tape that electricians pull wires through conduit with. they make different kinds, polyester, kevelar and possibly dyneema in different strengths and widths. i have a short piece that i found that looks really light and has 1200# printed on the side.

    go with the owf camo though, it is good stuff and stretches very little. i've never used the heavyweight polypro so i can't really comment on how it performs, but i did order some of the 1" seatbelt polyester webbing from strapworks that alot of people here are using and found it to be quite a bit heavier at around 8-9 g/ft.

    Thanks. I should add that I am alergic to camo.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Thanks. I should add that I am alergic to camo.
    yeah, it's just webbing though, not like it's a camo tarp. it looks more like brown from more than 10 feet away.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    someone somewhere else said OWF isn't selling that anymore! I looked but didn't find it.

    Grizz
    yeah, i heard that too, but i called and ordered a whole bunch the other day and the person i talked to said they hadn't heard that. package arrived and it's the same stuff. hopefully it is just a rumor, probably started by those strapworks webbing fans

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •