WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock

Replacing or Repairing HH Ridge Line

I have acquired a used HH Expedition. It is my first Hennessy Hammock, and I have not yet set it up. There are some pieces missing, and I have to wait until I get some tree straps.

The internal ridge line is untied on one end, it is the same line that the mesh organizer is attached to and slides on. To repair this line, do I have to remove the "sock" on the gathered end and untie the gathered end?

Is the ridge line even necessary on this hammock? It looks pretty flimsy.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    If there is no line coming out of the both ends you will need to open up the sock. I think the ridgeline is pretty important especially if you never hung before because it sets the sag for you. If you stretch things too much you could rip the bugnet. You are going to have to poke something though the end. I think a darning needle should work well.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    This video will give you an idea of how the RL is attached. It's a whoopie conversion video, but you'll get the in's and out's of how the Hennessy is hung nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysukekQgSCU

The RL is the little black loop he put the whoopie through. I replaced mine with Amsteel when I did my whoopie conversion. To get the new RL through the hole, I used a wire for one end as a fish tape and the original RL to bring the new RL through on the other.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Thanks for the very helpful tips!

Winstone-

The ridge line may look flimsy, but it isn't. The length of that line sets the hammock's curve, so it is important to get it right. If you can't tell by wrinkles/crimps in the end of the line when you go to retie it, makes sure that when the hammock is pulled out straight the bug net just wrinkles when the line is tied.

PM me and we can set up a phone conversation if you need to walk through this with me. I haven't retied my hammock but saw Tom do this for a customer once.

Regards,
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Thanks! I can still see the creases from previous knot.

Great! I was hoping that would be the case. IMHO, you don't really have a Hennessy if it has been modified and no longer hangs the same way. The pre-set ridgeline allows the hammock to sag the same way each time the hammock is hung, allowing for the same perfect sleep-comfort every night.

Shoot an E-mail to me if you need any help geting into the "hang" of things.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by winstone View Post
    I have acquired a used HH Expedition. It is my first Hennessy Hammock, and I have not yet set it up. There are some pieces missing, and I have to wait until I get some tree straps.

The internal ridge line is untied on one end, it is the same line that the mesh organizer is attached to and slides on. To repair this line, do I have to remove the "sock" on the gathered end and untie the gathered end?

Is the ridge line even necessary on this hammock? It looks pretty flimsy.
    It needs the ridgeline for shape and to hold the bug net up. My HH Expedition zip is about 100" end to end with the ridgeline installed. Each end of the ridgeline has a generous loop tied in it. That whoopie sling install video will show how the end of the loop ties in with the suspension rope. When you take the little end cover off, you will see that you can't really take the gathering apart and the holes for the suspension are melted right through the fabric.

*If* the ridge line is still long enough, you will have to work it back through the end. A darning needle sounds good to me. If it is too short, I would use some Dynaglide to replace the entire line. I would make longer loops and a knot you can get united in at least one end so you can fine tune the length once you get it threaded back through. And you have the perfect opportunity to install whoopie slings.

You may be able to send to it Hennessy for repair if you don't want to tackle it.

• + New Posts