Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250,Original Hennessy,WBBB
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Images

Question Blackbird 1.1DL entry side tie outs

Does anyone else find the tie outs on the entry side to be a PITA? Why in the world are they tied to the netting, instead of the hammock itself? If they were on the hammock, you could flip the netting over to lay uncovered (if desired), and still have the tie outs holding the hammock open.

Also, does the double layer openings on the entry side sag extremely loosely for anyone else, or is it just mine? I doubt that I'm just "doing it wrong" as there is really only one way to set these things up. I'm not a stranger to hammock tents either, having one of the original Hennessy's and a Clark NX-250 as well as the Blackbird...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    After a Hennessey, especially the bottom entry kind, the WBBB takes some getting used to. I do find the zip side tie out to be a pain. My solution was to remove the little split ring from the loop part of the tie out, and reattach with a mini carabiner. The I left the ring on the shockcord side to keep the adjustability. When I want to tie back the net I unhook the shock cord so there's less to tangle. It's also helpful for entering/exiting the hammock, though I rarely unclip it for that. It's easy enough just to lift the net as long as you don't have the shock cord adjusted too tightly.

As to the DL fabric sagging... it does sag on mine too. I just make sure to grip both layers in my hand before sitting down. It snugs up fine when I do that.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I asked myself this as well. We have two Blackbirds in the family.

Yes, the fabric on that side does seem a bit loose.

As for the tie out being on the netting...that's to help hold the diamond shape and give you space inside. I've seriously thought about adding a second set of loops on the lower fabric and mitten clips to cord so I could move the tie outs on the netting if I wanted that big space feel, or on the lower section if I want to throw the netting over to the other side.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Images
    I understand why the tie out is on the side, but it would do the same thing if it were attached to the hammock directly, instead of on the netting, wouldn't it? I mean, on a Hennessy, the tie outs are tied to the hammock, and not the net. I understand that the Hennessy is a different design, being bottom entry and all.

Just seems to me that you'd have less entry hassle if it were tied to the hammock and not the net, and you'd gain the fact that the hammock would hold it's diamond shape whether or not you're using your netting.

One more thing for Brandon to consider: How about an option to have the footbox on the zip side? I can't see why it couldn't be done, and I wouldn't have to twist my body to get in or out. Just a thought... not a complaint. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    I asked myself this as well. We have two Blackbirds in the family.

Yes, the fabric on that side does seem a bit loose.

As for the tie out being on the netting...that's to help hold the diamond shape and give you space inside. I've seriously thought about adding a second set of loops on the lower fabric and mitten clips to cord so I could move the tie outs on the netting if I wanted that big space feel, or on the lower section if I want to throw the netting over to the other side.
    Last edited by ScottH61; 08-29-2011 at 19:45.

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    I did something quite similar to Shumway. I just added a tiny S-biner. There when I want it, detatched when I don't.

Personally, I see why Brandon didn't attach it to the hammock body. I think it would be a bigger pain to try to get in and out with the tie out potentially under your leg or worse, getting tangled with your feet in the middle of the night. Then its a safety issue. With it on the upper part, you just push it up and away when you get out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!
    Everytime I get in my BB I curse the tie-outs. They really should be on the hammock and not on the netting. Other than that, it is an awesome rig. I'm gonna have to look into adding some loops to the hammock to move the tie-out down.

My son has a HH Zip and his tie-out is on the hammock, so his net flips up and over. It is a much better design in that respect.

I really would like to know why Brandon designed it like that.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Images
    I was starting to feel like I was the only one that thought that! Thanks for your post! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by The Weezer's Dad View Post
    Everytime I get in my BB I curse the tie-outs. They really should be on the hammock and not on the netting. Other than that, it is an awesome rig. I'm gonna have to look into adding some loops to the hammock to move the tie-out down.

My son has a HH Zip and his tie-out is on the hammock, so his net flips up and over. It is a much better design in that respect.

I really would like to know why Brandon designed it like that.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Has anyone actually asked Brandon why the WBBB tie-outs are where they are? It wouldn't hurt to ask. I would but I have no issue with them and am not that concerned...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Has anyone actually asked Brandon why the WBBB tie-outs are where they are? It wouldn't hurt to ask. I would but I have no issue with them and am not that concerned...
    Good point. I've sent him and e-mail.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lymphocytosis View Post
    I did something quite similar to Shumway. I just added a tiny S-biner. There when I want it, detatched when I don't.

Personally, I see why Brandon didn't attach it to the hammock body. I think it would be a bigger pain to try to get in and out with the tie out potentially under your leg or worse, getting tangled with your feet in the middle of the night. Then its a safety issue. With it on the upper part, you just push it up and away when you get out.
    I did this exact same thing when I was out at Zaleski a couple weeks ago. Works great.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast