Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies/biner
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by lymphocytosis View Post
    Personally, I see why Brandon didn't attach it to the hammock body. I think it would be a bigger pain to try to get in and out with the tie out potentially under your leg or worse, getting tangled with your feet in the middle of the night. Then its a safety issue. With it on the upper part, you just push it up and away when you get out.
    I agree. If they were on the hammock body, you would have to step over and around them every time you got in or out. At some point in the middle of the night, I would put my foot between the lines and bring the whole thing crashing down. As it is now, you merely have to duck under the bug net, but don't have to worry about getting your legs tangled. Also, it is kind of nice to have the cord attached to the netting for when you want to pull it over to the other side. I think it is a good thing to have them as they are. It isn't a big deal to slip the loop from the stake if you want to undo the netting. Just my 2 cents.

  2. #12
    Senior Member hangnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, TN
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Posts
    1,715
    Images
    122
    One other advantage of not attaching the tieouts to the hammock body is that it is easier to fit a UQ. I have tested about every hammock for UQ fit and the HH is the hardest to fit a UQ because of the pullouts on the hammock body. The WBBB does not have a problem with UQ fit due to tieouts being above the hammock body.

    The only time I don't like the style of pullouts on the WBBB is when unpacking the hammock for use. Too many cords to tangle. Making them detachable is a good solution

  3. #13
    Senior Member Beast 71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Big Lake, MN
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ&UQ quilts
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    ...and the HH is the hardest to fit a UQ because of the pullouts on the hammock body.
    On Jacks-R-Better UQ the "tabs" on the UQ corresponds with the tie-outs on the HH. They keep everything in place.
    Last edited by Beast 71; 09-03-2011 at 09:53.

  4. #14
    Senior Member hangnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, TN
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Posts
    1,715
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    On Jacks-R-Better UQ the "tabs" on the UQ corresponds with the tie-outs. They keep everything in place.
    Which are very useful because of the tieouts being on the hammock body on the HH.

    The WBBB does not need to use tabs on the UQ because the tieouts are not on the hammock body.

  5. #15
    somebody emailed me this question, here's what i came up with:

    you're supposed to enter from the foot end so you don't have to duck under/step over any lines at all, then you just lift the netting over your head as your sitting down. you can easily raise it a foot or more for entry purposes

    if the tieouts were on the hammock body and you unziped, the netting would fall into the hammock and you have to pick it up so you could sit down without sitting on it, and also if you were inside the hammock and unzip it would fall in on you. it's nice to be able to lay in the hammock with it un-zipped and not have to deal with putting the net somewhere just to keep it off you (you can still flip it completely over the edge if you want)

  6. #16
    Callahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, dbl 1.0 BB, Bias WW
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Posts
    1,060
    I've found the design seems to work really well for me as is. The only time I don't use the bugnet is when I am sitting in the hammock, in which case, I don't want to use the tieout anyway. I would much rather have the bugnet out of my face when I get in and out. That being said, I may add a "quick disconnect" so that I don't have to undo the tieout from the tarp stake to flip the net over.

    Cheers

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies/biner
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    somebody emailed me this question, here's what i came up with:

    you're supposed to enter from the foot end so you don't have to duck under/step over any lines at all, then you just lift the netting over your head as your sitting down. you can easily raise it a foot or more for entry purposes

    if the tieouts were on the hammock body and you unziped, the netting would fall into the hammock and you have to pick it up so you could sit down without sitting on it, and also if you were inside the hammock and unzip it would fall in on you. it's nice to be able to lay in the hammock with it un-zipped and not have to deal with putting the net somewhere just to keep it off you (you can still flip it completely over the edge if you want)

    What he said.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    The only time I don't like the style of pullouts on the WBBB is when unpacking the hammock for use. Too many cords to tangle. Making them detachable is a good solution
    noted, i've recently switched the method of attachment here. someone suggested it awhile back but it wasn't done till recently.

    there should be 2 strands of shockcord going through the cordlock. to configure this way:

    remove cordlock, remove shockcord from ring.
    put cordlock on shockcord (about 12" from un-knotted end)
    put un-knotted end through metal ring and back through cordlock a second time

    this method is much less tangle-prone. i still store one zipped inside the hammock though but that may not even be necessary.

  9. #19
    Jcavenagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Posts
    1,172
    Images
    22
    I noticed the different configuration of the shockcord on my new 1.1.
    I think that the quick release "s" biner is something I will install. I have found that I can't always use the foot end for entry in the wilderness. A lot of times, due to geography, I need the zipper to face one direction, but bushes or a dropoff or some other barrier requires using the head end to enter.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    I have found that I can't always use the foot end for entry in the wilderness. A lot of times, due to geography, I need the zipper to face one direction, but bushes or a dropoff or some other barrier requires using the head end to enter.
    true, that could sometimes be the situation. in that case i'd approach from the head end, step over the line and still enter from the foot end without ducking under the lines, unless you feel ducking under them is easier than stepping over them, which some might. this is your prediciment regardless of wether they're attached to the hammock vs netting, and the reason some choose to remove the tieout lines permanently, at least on that side

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •