Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer

King's Peak Hike in Uintas with Boy Scouts

This is a little late, but it took a while to edit the video I made for the hike. I put the video together and it was over an hour in length. Then I shortened it to 20 minutes and made a part 1 and 2 for youtube. Anyways, I took 2 boy scouts and another leader on a 50 mile hike in the Uintas. Our plan was to knock out 50 miles and summit King’s Peak. King’s Peak is the tallest peak in Utah at a little over 13500 ft. I was hoping to take more than just 2 scouts, but it ended up that only 2 were available. Unfortunately for me, the two that came are also our fastest hikers, and the other leader is big into triathlons. Needless to say, I spent most of the time well behind them.
    Our trek started at China Meadows, which is a car camping campground and a parking lot with a trail head. It was the lowest point on the trip at around 9500 ft. The first day involved hiking over a ridge to Henry’s Fork Basin and camping at Bear Lake. It felt like I was running, just trying to catch up, and the higher altitude was kicking my butt. Here is a view of King’s Peak as we are dropping into Henry’s Fork Basin.

The next day we hiked out of Henry’s Fork Basin and into Painter Basin. We had to go over Gunsight Pass which is at about 11800 ft. Most of Henry’s Fork Basin is around 11000ft, and we stayed around 11500 in Painter’s Basin. Here is a view of Mount Powel from Henry’s Fork Lake.

Here is a view of my campsite in Painter’s Basin. Notice that I couldn’t hang my hammock, no trees. But, I made do with my CCF and my hammock as a bug shelter.

The next day we headed to the summit. We took our packs to Anderson Pass which is a little over 12600 ft and then left the packs for the mile to the summit. Here is a picture of the boys climbing to the summit. It was pretty much just climbing over boulders. I didn’t take the picture, the other leader did. I was too busy trying not to die. I had to stop every few steps to catch my breath. The low oxygen was kicking my behind. But, I never got sick, just winded, all the time.

And, here I am at the top. And another of the group of us on the top.

And here is a precipice that we took the boys sitting on. This was to show their moms.

After we picked up our packs, we headed to Yellowstone Basin. The trail coming down Anderson’s Pass was a little steep, but not too bad.

Here is our campsite in Yellowstone Basin. I was happy to find trees for my hammock. Our camp was around 11000 ft.

The next day we hiked out over Smith’s Fork Pass into Smith’s Fork Basin. The pass is around 12000. Here is a flower we saw on the way out.

We were going to camp at Lower Red Castle Lake, but we noticed a bunch of scout troops going the same way. So, we went down the trail a little and camped on the river. Here is a picture at our lunch stop. I am using the Sawyer Squeeze filter. We really liked it, plus the weight ain’t bad.

Here is a view of Red Castle on the trail to our camp.

The next day we decided to day hike up to Lower Red Castle Lake and do some fishing. I put a spinner on the end of my line, and as soon as the first cast hit the water, I caught this beautiful brook. I spent the next hour with no luck. One of my scouts also caught a similar sized tiger trout. Here is a picture of the fish, and the way we cooked them.

After eating the fish and cleaning up, we packed up and headed to a closer campsite to the car. Then Saturday morning, we packed up and headed home. It was one great week, and one that the boys will never forget.
    Here is the video I did on youtube. My wife said the sound is a little too dramatic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4xYe...layer_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp02q...eature=related
    I have taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    12,600 feet in jeans and a T-shirt:Screen shot 2011-09-09 at 4.04.41 PM.png...and he looks happy! Ah, youth!

Good report! Thanks for posting!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    12,600 feet in jeans and a T-shirt:Screen shot 2011-09-09 at 4.04.41 PM.png...and he looks happy! Ah, youth!
    But, it's his "lucky shirt."

Great pics dude! Glad everyone had a good time.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer
    LOL, that was when we were at 13500 ft. He has never listened when I tell them to wear synthetic. He would say that he doesn't have any, then his parents would ask me if there is anything they need to buy for him. Oh well.

Images
    Wonderful! The 1st time I ever got a severe altitude headache was when I had hiked up from a place called- I think- Christmas meadows, back when I lived in Layton, UT. Also did a backpack along a creek that ran to the East(?) of _ with the creek running ~ south to north- at the foot of a Beulah Peak. I think we hiked up to a Deadhorse Pass on that one. There was another hike I did on the south side of the Uintas, but I can't remember the name of the area. These mountains are most impressive!

Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wonderful! The 1st time I ever got a severe altitude headache was when I had hiked up from a place called- I think- Christmas meadows, back when I lived in Layton, UT. Also did a backpack along a creek that ran to the East(?) of _ with the creek running ~ south to north- at the foot of a Beulah Peak. I think we hiked up to a Deadhorse Pass on that one. There was another hike I did on the south side of the Uintas, but I can't remember the name of the area. These mountains are most impressive!
    I was at Christmas Meadows not too long ago with my family. I even took my boys backpacking from that trail head.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Wow that is some jaw-droppingly beautiful scenery! Those scouts are lucky to live near there and have you to take them there. Great report. Thanks.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    WOW..... What great pics, looks great. And fresh catch on the coals, not sure it gets much better than that!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    great pics of a great trip!! One they will remember forever..glad you had a super great time!

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Majestic scenery, finally ME.
    Hiking, trout fishing & hanging....my favourites things to do.
    Enjoyed your post.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast