Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Why we use straps: The cambium layer

Great resource - simple and to the point: http://www.appleman.ca/korchard/grfting3.htm

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Nice find. Keep on preaching - it's obvious some people just do not get it!
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    I use tree straps, so I'm all for them. However, I was watching some treehouse show on animal planet and noticed they were using all sorts of load bearing cables all over the trees. They also claimed this would not hurt the tree. I found that interesting.
    Zach Rohe Photography https://zachrohe.com

Hammock
    Health
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Usa
    Suspension
    Whoopie, straps
    Images
    This may cause some controversy here and his is not my intention. I use tree straps every time I hang my hammock, but......... I am also a hunter it is not unheard of for me to screw some pegs into a tree to make climbing to a tree stand easier. It is usually in a ponderosa pine tree here in az. I remove them when the season is over. Again not that I use a rope or cable for hanging , but would these pegs be less harmful to the tree then a circumferential rope? Should I worry about long term damage to the tree with the pegs, is there an alternative?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you own the tree, do what you want. If you don't own the tree, then you should probably get the owner's permission. If it's state or federal land, it's probably illegal to screw or nail anything into the tree.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    If you own the tree, do what you want. If you don't own the tree, then you should probably get the owner's permission. If it's state or federal land, it's probably illegal to screw or nail anything into the tree.
    yep... It is all about the lnt.. Trees are pretty tough but that really isn't the point..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlcseven View Post
    This may cause some controversy here and his is not my intention. I use tree straps every time I hang my hammock, but......... I am also a hunter it is not unheard of for me to screw some pegs into a tree to make climbing to a tree stand easier. It is usually in a ponderosa pine tree here in az. I remove them when the season is over. Again not that I use a rope or cable for hanging , but would these pegs be less harmful to the tree then a circumferential rope? Should I worry about long term damage to the tree with the pegs, is there an alternative?

I don't think this causes the same kind of damage though it does certainly cause a would which may infect the tree. Its unlikely you're going to cause the tree to die from multiple steps. Unfortunately I've seen nails in trees at almost every established campsite I've come across. I can't imagine hiking around with nails.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG And WB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    To answer the "is there an alternative" question, yes there is. I see more hunters using stick ladders these days as opposed to tree steps. They simply strap to the tree at multiple points and probably do no more harm to the tree than hammock tree straps. They look easy to use although probably a little less portable than a pocket full of screw in steps.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    On my own property, I screw eye bolts directly into the tree. The small damage to the bark is limited to the site. I do not remove the screw, so the wound is not left open for invaders to enter. For frequent use, I think this causes less ongoing damage than straps.

On anyone else's land, or for any temporary use, I use nice, wide tree straps. I am a big fan of tree straps.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    To answer the "is there an alternative" question, yes there is. I see more hunters using stick ladders these days as opposed to tree steps. They simply strap to the tree at multiple points and probably do no more harm to the tree than hammock tree straps. They look easy to use although probably a little less portable than a pocket full of screw in steps.
    I doubt they harm the tree as much as hammockers with the stick ladders. the forces involved are different. The only place where much force would be exerted is at the top of the stick ladder. The straps are mainly there to keep the ladders in place.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast