Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Funny how millions of people use pads in tent and have no problem with moisture, but the moment they go in a hammock, all hell breaks loose. I use pads (CCF) and have very little problem with discomfort or moisture. Good to freezing easily, so very good value for money.
    That's probably because most ground dwellers are using a sleeping bag instead of a quilt. The bottom of the bag absorbs and/or dissipates the moisture whereas a quilt user is directly on the pad surface leaving no place for the condensation/perspiration to go. Many hammock users also go with wider pads to cover the shoulders. This also removes the ability for evaporation since a pad is a vapor barrier.

I'm a frequent ground dweller (when I need/want to go as light as possible by sharing shelter and quilt with my wife), who always uses a quilt. Even before I knew about quilts, I preferred to drape the open sleeping bag over me like a quilt. I usually use a 3/4 length foam pad when on the ground.

If it's hot out, the foam does indeed get sweaty wherever my boddy presses firmly against it. Any place slightly raised stays drier.

I think (many) hammockers get more of this when using pads because of the ventiallation-reducing wrap of the non-breathable pad. There's more contact spots, therfore more places lacking ventillation, therefore more 'wet' spots.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Funny how millions of people use pads in tent and have no problem with moisture, but the moment they go in a hammock, all hell breaks loose. I use pads (CCF) and have very little problem with discomfort or moisture. Good to freezing easily, so very good value for money.
    It is funny how people's experiences vary, but true. More than a few folks who had always used pads on the ground immediately hated them in a hammock for a variety of reasons. Quite a few of them reported major moisture problems (either condensation or sweat). For others it ruined comfort. For some it was both.

Not unlike the HHSS. For some, it has presented an unsolvable problem of condensation issues, cold or both. They tried every trick recommended to them, but still a no go. Some others of us have used it on and off for years with no problems at all, with it easily meeting "specs" or TH's experiences with it posted at HH. So why such a difference? I have no idea. But I don't doubt those who reported miserable results, while I know it has always worked for me.

But if you can use pads in a hammock happily, you have to be a happy camper! Super low cost, very durable, wind and water proof, no learning curve with suspensions and such- just lay down on it- and you are good to go for ground if such a thing happens.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22