DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr

Cuben Lined UQ

I have thought about using cuben fiber as the liner in the construction of 3 UQ's I am making. I got this idea from Grizz's DIY underquilt ( http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6466 ). He uses sil nylon as a vapor barrier. I think sil nylon and cuben fiber would have the same effect. Now correct me if wrong if the liner is not breathable what would be the positive and negative effects. I plan to conduct more research on heat conduction but I for now have some common sense questions. If the liner is not breathable vapor and moisture from my body will not penetrate the material. Thus conducting thermal energy to the down. The cooler more dense moisture will obviously condense under myself or in my clothing. Well I reckon I could turn on my side when I am getting a little sweaty. Heat spontaneously flows from areas of higher temperature to areas of lower temperature coming to an equilibrium. Heat conduction moves through mass or matter where in convection transfers in bulk motion of matter. The thought I have is what happens when cool air and hot air interact and form moisture in between the shell and liner. Well Heat rises and cool air falls. The cool moist air would be advected by the cool air's current of movement flow through the breathable shell. The warm hot air rises and would conduct heat energy through the liner. hELP ME OUT ON THIS EVERYONE.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelJD View Post
    I have thought about using cuben fiber as the liner in the construction of 3 UQ's I am making. I got this idea from Grizz's DIY underquilt ( http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6466 ). He uses sil nylon as a vapor barrier. I think sil nylon and cuben fiber would have the same effect. Now correct me if wrong if the liner is not breathable what would be the positive and negative effects. I plan to conduct more research on heat conduction but I for now have some common sense questions. If the liner is not breathable vapor and moisture from my body will not penetrate the material. Thus conducting thermal energy to the down. The cooler more dense moisture will obviously condense under myself or in my clothing. Well I reckon I could turn on my side when I am getting a little sweaty. Heat spontaneously flows from areas of higher temperature to areas of lower temperature coming to an equilibrium. Heat conduction moves through mass or matter where in convection transfers in bulk motion of matter. The thought I have is what happens when cool air and hot air interact and form moisture in between the shell and liner. Well Heat rises and cool air falls. The cool moist air would be advected by the cool air's current of movement flow through the breathable shell. The warm hot air rises and would conduct heat energy through the liner. hELP ME OUT ON THIS EVERYONE.
    you definitely get warmer, thinking about this stuff so hard. It's a gram-weenie trick, you can carry less bulky quilts that way

My underquilt the last couple of years has been a DIY 3-season job with Cuben inner body. I haven't experience condensation, but suspect this varies from person to person.

I recently made a thicker UQ made almost entirely of Cuben, but have yet to test it in cool temps. Perhaps this weekend....
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would think cuben a much better choice for colder weather. Would it be much different then laying on a pad? Possibly a little more breathable then a pad due to air infiltration, but then I hated having a sweaty back using a pad. As for the cuben UQ, I think it would stay drier from lack of body moisture. Good question. I've been kicking it around as well.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    I did my under quilt with 1/2 cuben and 1/2 momentum 50. Each chamber is cuben on one side momentum on the other. With 12oz of down it came in at 19oz. So far I have only had ti to 35*, dut I was very comfortable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Anybody with a sweaty back?

Hammock
    homemade pertex with cuben fiber
    Tarp
    custom silnylon
    Insulation
    homemade 800 down
    Suspension
    dyneema 4mm rope
    Images

Re vaper barrier

I would of thought that trapping vaper ie sweat creating sweaty patches would be dangerous in cold climates? surely damp kit would weigh more also create problems if it freezes! Try using breatheble down filled underblankets as they are lighter than synthetic, if your tarp is any good I doubt it will get wet.
    In an hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide. In an age of insanity look to the madman to show the way, so follow me

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Anybody with a sweaty back?
    The way I made the UQ it is breathable, and I have had no problem with sweating. If you used all Cuben on one side you would have problems with sweating.
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Hammock
    1.5oz Ripstop Single Layer DIY
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & Incub
    Suspension
    Strp,Whoop,Biner
    From what I understand, you only want vapor barriers in very cold conditions. There is a fine line for when a vapor barrier helps and when a vapor barrier has negative effects. For a more detailed analysis on how/why vapor barriers work and when to use them, refer to this thread.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    traftonm-
    beautiful UQ! wow.

you are srsly enrolling me in the DYI sector

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Of all the down products I have bought, I have gone with the philosophy that a breathable fabric is better. Your body will pass moisture and if there is a way to prevent build up or allowing it to pass through, then it will help insure the R value. Then along comes cuben. Super light, no leakage of down, but also water proof. It would help keep the underquilt dry, but there may also be a build up of moisture around your body that will be directed up to the top quilt. Possible I'm reading more into this then I should. Think I'll try a vapor barrier between my hammock and UQ before I take the plunge and buy an UQ with cuben. How about some of the other lightweight fabrics, do they leak down?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast