Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 249
  1. #121
    drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast MS
    Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Posts
    297
    Thanks for the great video. I have been unable to find anything for my 12' no ridgeline DIY. That was a great design. The only thing I did diffrent was to cut a 30% angle for the ends, because it's so long and a shock cord to keep it off me.

  2. #122
    Fronkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,088
    Quote Originally Posted by PAHikingTrails View Post
    Thanks Fronkey!
    You're welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by jvengineers View Post
    for my simple gathered end hammock i used a piece of no-see-um and put velcro on the ends so it could close over the lines. I then slipped some weight in the middle of each side to hold it down. I just used the roll width - a hem and it just made the width, i mean just. The more sag you use (flatter sleep on the diagonal) the more width you'll need from the mesh as the hammock dips lower below the ridgeline.

    An option i have been considering because to save weight is to just do enough bug netting so it can drape over my top half and tuck around my quilt. If it is cold enough for this to work (being able to be fully covered by the quilt) the bugs might not be an issue any way though. I would just take 2yds and sew 1 60" side together leaving a small enough gap for the lines. I would pull this over the head end and then when i needed it i could pull it over me and tuck around my quilt. This wouldn't be supported by the ridgeline but could have a tab over your face to pull it up to the ridgeline to keep it off you.

    Right now i am testing a hammock (not made nor designed by me) that has full bug proofing so i hadn't gotten around to trying this out but it is my plan if i try to do UL or SUL hammock hiking. Right now i plan to hammock for canoeing only.
    Great minds think alike. It sounds like the "HUG bugnet". If it is what you are talking about than there are "How to" instructions in that thread that could save you some time designing more. Great idea!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ugene View Post
    Thanks for the great video. I have been unable to find anything for my 12' no ridgeline DIY. That was a great design. The only thing I did diffrent was to cut a 30% angle for the ends, because it's so long and a shock cord to keep it off me.
    I have a 12' hammock too and the ridgeline really helps. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end. Thanks for watching!

    Fronkey

  3. #123
    iRokk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alta Loma, California
    Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Posts
    770
    Images
    4
    Fronkey, have you ever toyed with one of the zipper-less top-entry bug nets? I just made one, but haven't gotten the chance to test it in the field. I almost made the one you mentioned in this thread, but ended up deciding I may not want my butt hanging out
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

    I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

    It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

  4. #124
    doogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Birdsboro, PA
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Posts
    826
    Images
    105
    Just logged my second night hanging with the Fronkey bugnet. Actually my second night hanging. Anyway I learned something about the setup. The first night was at an AT campsite where the ground was packed and there were little if any bugs and I had no issues. My second night was in a very buggy and seldom used site that had grass/weeds about 6" tall. I set up, put on my net, made my bed and went to the campfire. Without thinking I left the shock cord open and laying on the ground. When I came back to sleep there was a very large wolf spider on my top quilt. I deftly removed him and a leaf hopper and all was well for the rest of the night. From now on I close up the shock cord and make sure it's over my ground cloth so I don't corral any more buggies. I sure glad I saw him instead of sleeping with him.

  5. #125
    Fronkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,088
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    Fronkey, have you ever toyed with one of the zipper-less top-entry bug nets? I just made one, but haven't gotten the chance to test it in the field. I almost made the one you mentioned in this thread, but ended up deciding I may not want my butt hanging out
    I have and it's a great design too.

    But, for my own personal use, I prefer the bottom entry because I can pick stuff up off the ground without letting the bugs in.

    Have fun with your new net!

    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    Just logged my second night hanging with the Fronkey bugnet. Actually my second night hanging. Anyway I learned something about the setup. The first night was at an AT campsite where the ground was packed and there were little if any bugs and I had no issues. My second night was in a very buggy and seldom used site that had grass/weeds about 6" tall. I set up, put on my net, made my bed and went to the campfire. Without thinking I left the shock cord open and laying on the ground. When I came back to sleep there was a very large wolf spider on my top quilt. I deftly removed him and a leaf hopper and all was well for the rest of the night. From now on I close up the shock cord and make sure it's over my ground cloth so I don't corral any more buggies. I sure glad I saw him instead of sleeping with him.
    Spiders make the worst snuggle buddies.

    Fronkey

  6. #126
    Member Funkyleebasick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Hammock
    eno, for now.
    Tarp
    eno, modified
    Insulation
    diy, mummy bag
    Suspension
    straps and woopie
    Posts
    50
    thanks, i think this will work for me.

  7. #127
    Fronkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyleebasick View Post
    thanks, i think this will work for me.
    You're welcome.

    Fronkey

  8. #128
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    nc
    Hammock
    Eno SN & DN
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    PLUQ UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    Posts
    9
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    Just logged my second night hanging with the Fronkey bugnet. Actually my second night hanging. Anyway I learned something about the setup. The first night was at an AT campsite where the ground was packed and there were little if any bugs and I had no issues. My second night was in a very buggy and seldom used site that had grass/weeds about 6" tall. I set up, put on my net, made my bed and went to the campfire. Without thinking I left the shock cord open and laying on the ground. When I came back to sleep there was a very large wolf spider on my top quilt. I deftly removed him and a leaf hopper and all was well for the rest of the night. From now on I close up the shock cord and make sure it's over my ground cloth so I don't corral any more buggies. I sure glad I saw him instead of sleeping with him.


    here is my solution to the open bugnet while I am not in it...just fold it up over the ridgeline. this closes off the opening and keeps it up off the ground. i wasn't sure the shockcord would close tight enough to keep things out while I wasn't in there.


  9. #129
    Fronkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,088
    Quote Originally Posted by mfury View Post
    here is my solution to the open bugnet while I am not in it...just fold it up over the ridgeline. this closes off the opening and keeps it up off the ground. i wasn't sure the shockcord would close tight enough to keep things out while I wasn't in there.


    Cool man!

    Fronkey

  10. #130
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    29
    Hey fronkey thanks for the sweet how to. One question though , how does it fit at the gathered end? Is it just a small opening or is it something fancier? Sorry if I missed it, first time making anything like this

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •