Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    New Member Irish Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East central MS
    Hammock
    Switchback - 1.9DL, BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    32

    Gathered End Hammock Suspension

    Can you attach the whoopie in the end channel or do you have to gather and form knot and then attach whoopie?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    3,691
    Images
    204
    Sometimes it's handy to hang between trees that are close together. If you whip the end of the hammock after cinching it up with the channel, you can use a lark's head on the hammock with fixed loop end of the whoopie. That way the bury of the fixed loop (locked brummel) wraps around the hammock end (two times around), so it doesn't add to the minimal hang distance. That way you can also avoid the temptation to use a bury that's too short for safety.

  3. #3
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    5,982
    Conversely, creating a gather in the end of a channel end hammock, and then larksheading your suspension on behind it, will shorten the effective length of the hammock. The general consensus here holds that longer is more comfortable.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  4. #4
    WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    3,691
    Images
    204
    Interesting point, OG. Thanks. I will try making my next hammock 6" longer to compare, but I bet you're right.

  5. #5
    Senior Member hangnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, TN
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Posts
    1,716
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Conversely, creating a gather in the end of a channel end hammock, and then larksheading your suspension on behind it, will shorten the effective length of the hammock. The general consensus here holds that longer is more comfortable.
    I agree. For example the Claytor hammocks come with webbing suspension that is designed to wrap around the tree in a manner that spreads the ends out simulating a longer hammock. Almost everyone changes out the suspension to a "better" system. Most of the time they cinch the end down tight which makes the ends shorter across. If they larkshead a whoopie sling to the end they shorten it even more. The same thing happens to a Clark if you cinch the end down. Then you get the complaints about how these hammocks are too short

  6. #6
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,601
    Images
    39
    Either method is fine, just different. So, one has to consider the effect on the hammock length when deciding the suspension choice.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  7. #7
    New Member Irish Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    East central MS
    Hammock
    Switchback - 1.9DL, BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    32
    Thanks for all the advice. It appears that maintaining hammock length is critical. My first attempt will be to use the whoopie and thread it through the end channel of the hammock using the locked brummel.

  8. #8
    SmokeBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Defiance, Missouri
    Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Mike View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. It appears that maintaining hammock length is critical. My first attempt will be to use the whoopie and thread it through the end channel of the hammock using the locked brummel.
    Irish Mike, just take the adjustable loop end of the whoopie sling and pass it through the end channel and pull all but just the fixed eye part through. Then pass the adjustable loop end through the fixed eye and pull snug. Repeat on other end and you're there.

  9. #9
    Senior Member DemostiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Posts
    2,325
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I agree. For example the Claytor hammocks come with webbing suspension that is designed to wrap around the tree in a manner that spreads the ends out simulating a longer hammock. Almost everyone changes out the suspension to a "better" system. Most of the time they cinch the end down tight which makes the ends shorter across. If they larkshead a whoopie sling to the end they shorten it even more. The same thing happens to a Clark if you cinch the end down. Then you get the complaints about how these hammocks are too short
    Can you or other veterans point to some research on this? I've spent hours in archives here trying to find systematic investigations on making longer virtual hammocks. Nothing, except the bridge and hit and miss variations in trimming the side lengths of (excessively) wide gathered-end hammock beds.

    But this is for a different thread than the OP asked about. Would you start and post a reply there?

  10. #10
    but enough about me hppyfngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crozet, Virginia
    Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Posts
    3,217
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Mike View Post
    Can you attach the whoopie in the end channel or do you have to gather and form knot and then attach whoopie?

    Thanks
    You can do this provided your channel is well sewn. But I don't. I like to make the gathered end "knot", a la the Knotty instructions and then attach my suspension to that. In this way you can easily change out your suspension without undoing your hammock.

    And, btw, longer is more comfortable IMHO. My favorite diy is 11'6" and man it's great.
    Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

    TDStand Instructions

    TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •