WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings

Whoopie Sling length ?

Working on making a order for my hammock setup. Thinking i will be going with a WB 1.1 double and using whoopie slings. I know through all my reading and searches that I have seen the length most of you use, but can't find that post now.
    On average, what length do most of you use, 6,8,10 foot?

I also noticed someone posted: If you are going to change out to whoopie slings (on a warbonnet) to order the Line/Strap suspension instead of the Ajustable webbing suspension because of the lenght of the straps.
    Not sure why you would do this. The webbing comes with 14 foot straps, if i read that correctly.
    Most of my hangs would be in the South East, since I am in TN, if that makes a difference. Of course, I would love to hike the A T one of these days.
    Still undecided on the use of the toggle or just use a caribiner.
    Thanks for all replies, I am full of questions.

If anyone wants to shoot me a PM, that would be great also.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome fellow Tennessean! I just made another set of whoopies last night. I start off with 12 foot of Amsteel 7/64 and when you're done they'll be about 6 foot.

I use tree huggers around the trees and toggles for attaching the whoopies. See Shugs videos on that.

Don't have a BB so someone else needs to answer that part of your question.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    thanks IDcakes. I have seen Shugs video's and they are great and have helped me lot, a must see for newbies like myself.
    I plan on trying my hand at making some whoopie slings in the future, but for now, I just want to get hung and try this stuff out.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Slings that are about 6 foot are sufficient for most folks in my opinion. You get much longer than that and to get a good hang angle you need to be able to reach up higher and higher in the tree to the point that it's difficult to take advantage of the length. I have often used slings that are only 3 foot long and been fine. Do the quick math--to use their full length, 9 foot hammock + 2 10 foot whoopies and your looking for trees that are 18+ feet apart, now add in that your shooting for 30 degree hang angles on those slings and you will need to be reaching pretty high up the tree to set your straps. That means that most of the time---when your at a more normal hang with trees 15 feet apart (what were shooting for when ever possible) half of your sling will be choked down and just laying on the ground. Again just my opinions and point of view on the subject of sling length.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    thanks IDcakes. I have seen Shugs video's and they are great and have helped me lot, a must see for newbies like myself.
    I plan on trying my hand at making some whoopie slings in the future, but for now, I just want to get hung and try this stuff out.
    Good luck to you, what part of TN are you from? I'm near Bristol.

I would like to add, if you want to order tree straps PGibson is the man! I have his and they are excellent!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    Good luck to you, what part of TN are you from? I'm near Bristol.
    I'm just outside the city of Chattanooga, retired from the Fire Dept here after 28 yrs. Been retired now for 6 + years and recently started working again, doing landscape for someone else.

Hammock
    Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ Tarp Flyz
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    I use 6 1/2' slings starting with 14' feet of dnyaglide. Though most of the time this is entirely too long. I have used most of it in some rare cases. I would rather let a couple feet hang on the ground than not have enough. As far hooking it up, there is only one way; Dutch Biners with a set of Dutch clips for you webbing, simply the easiest, fastest way to hang up at night(I can do it in the dark) and take down the next morning.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Well if you want to come check out a hang, there is going to be one in NC next month at John Rock. It's the best place to learn and get ideas from all sorts of people!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Thanks for the invite, sounds like a good time will be had. Only wish it were not so far away

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Slings that are about 6 foot are sufficient for most folks in my opinion. You get much longer than that and to get a good hang angle you need to be able to reach up higher and higher in the tree to the point that it's difficult to take advantage of the length. I have often used slings that are only 3 foot long and been fine. Do the quick math--to use their full length, 9 foot hammock + 2 10 foot whoopies and your looking for trees that are 18+ feet apart, now add in that your shooting for 30 degree hang angles on those slings and you will need to be reaching pretty high up the tree to set your straps. That means that most of the time---when your at a more normal hang with trees 15 feet apart (what were shooting for when ever possible) half of your sling will be choked down and just laying on the ground. Again just my opinions and point of view on the subject of sling length.
    I agree with Paul for the most part about whoopie sling length. However, you have to know the area in which you are hanging most of the time. If the tree spacing is typically more than the 15' foot optimal range, then having longer whoopie slings is beneficial. With amsteel being being so light per foot, I go with the it's better to have it and not need it philosophy. Same goes with the length of tree straps. I also go by a 90% rule, which basically states is to have your gear accommodate 90% of the situations that you encounter. For the other 10% there are things that can be done to make it work. Ie, suspension extenders made from Amsteel (length of amsteel with fixed eye splices on each end).

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast