Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member Raul Perez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Posts
    2,363
    Images
    49

    Winter Hiking & Hammocking - Finale

    See if you can guess the theme of this blog:

    http://watermonkey.net/2011/10/02/wi...-soup-for-you/

    Get out and hike and be safe.

    Raul
    (Water Monkey)
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

    The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

    http://watermonkey.net/

    Youtube Channel:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

  2. #2
    Fronkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,091
    Great advice dude!

    Seriously, you did an awesome job putting emphasis on how a person should test out THEIR own gear.

    Do I know how long my stove takes to boil water in 10F? Absolutely not

    But, I'm going to find out soon when I test it out.

    I personally test out my 3-season gear like crazy and am already doing mad research on winter camping. Because like you said, you are screwed if you aren't prepared.

    I hope this isn't the last winter article you do this year, as I can use all the help I can get.

    Thanks again for making these.

    Fronkey

  3. #3
    Senior Member ljcsov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    PA
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    322
    Images
    22
    Those videos got me so pumped for the winter!!!

    My GF and I have been gearing up as well. We just got our new snowshoes in the other week. We each picked up a pair of RedFeathers. She has the Pace model and I have the Trek. We are both pumped for the first snowfall.

    I also have been rounding up all my warm clothing - hats, snow pants, high gore-tex gaiters, gloves, fleeces....can't wait!

    From when I snowboarded a lot when I was younger, I have developed an enjoyment for being out in the winter weather. I can remember being a little boy thrilled by the first snowfall, flopping all about in my one piece snow suit. Its just such a great feeling being out in the snow and being nice and warm inside all your clothing.

    Great video!

    ...with all the heavy precipitation the East Coast has been seeing I wouldn't be surprised if we have a heavy snow laden winter!
    Last edited by ljcsov; 10-02-2011 at 21:24.

  4. #4
    BrianWillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Tarp
    Ogee / UGQ B.A.T.
    Insulation
    HG Inc-BE / Wiggys
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,869
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I hope this isn't the last winter article you do this year, as I can use all the help I can get.

    Fronkey,

    You're in MN, so why don't you head off to the Winter Camping Symposium. MacEntyre and FourDog are scheduled presenters this year. If nothing else, if you never winter camped before, I would suggest taking a course or heading out with someone that is experienced at it.

    Cheers

    Brian

  5. #5
    AScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Twig, MN
    Hammock
    Roaming Gnome, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post

    Do I know how long my stove takes to boil water in 10F? Absolutely not

    But, I'm going to find out soon when I test it out.

    Fronkey
    I hope not too soon...

    Thanks for the good info, Water Monkey.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!


  6. #6
    Fronkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Fronkey,

    You're in MN, so why don't you head off to the Winter Camping Symposium. MacEntyre and FourDog are scheduled presenters this year. If nothing else, if you never winter camped before, I would suggest taking a course or heading out with someone that is experienced at it.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Fourdog mentioned that to me in an e-mail and unfortunately I am busy every single weekend until late Nov. It looks like great info and I'm sure I would learn a lot. Thanks a lot though.

    I don't know any other winter campers here in Mn. So, I am going to practice like crazy in my backyard and research a lot too. Then when we have our frozen butt hang in January, I should be ready for it or if frostbite gets me I'll only be able to count to 8.

    Again great stuff Water Monkey.

    I heard a candle lantern in an enclosed tarp setup will actually warm it up a noticeable amount. What's your opinion on doing this?

    Fronkey

  7. #7
    Senior Member ArcsandSparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    297
    Images
    7
    Great blog WM! Very true about testing gear prior to actually using it! So far my best is -2 and I've done well (still typing ) I did spend many nights/days testing my gear before taking it out though. Better be safe than sorry....

    Fronkey,
    I will get you out in the negatives this year...just you wait
    Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

  8. #8
    Senior Member ljcsov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    PA
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    322
    Images
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Fourdog mentioned that to me in an e-mail and unfortunately I am busy every single weekend until late Nov. It looks like great info and I'm sure I would learn a lot. Thanks a lot though.

    I don't know any other winter campers here in Mn. So, I am going to practice like crazy in my backyard and research a lot too. Then when we have our frozen butt hang in January, I should be ready for it or if frostbite gets me I'll only be able to count to 8.

    Again great stuff Water Monkey.

    I heard a candle lantern in an enclosed tarp setup will actually warm it up a noticeable amount. What's your opinion on doing this?

    Fronkey
    Hmmmm just got myself one of those UCO Tea Light Lanterns...too bad I don't have a big tarp with doors

  9. #9
    New Member ChristDriven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    17
    I did spit on the screen. Good advice!

  10. #10
    Fronkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    Hmmmm just got myself one of those UCO Tea Light Lanterns...too bad I don't have a big tarp with doors
    I have that same lantern and love it!

    Last time I went out we got down to 23F and as soon as I got in my hammock I was cold because my body heat hadn't warmed up the place yet. So, I pulled my quilt over my head and brought in my candle lantern and I got warm really fast. I figure it should be enough heat to warm up a tarp.

    Another question for you WM, I had a night last time I was out when it was only 38F, but the wind was a robbing jerk with stealing all my heat from my under quilt. What are your thought on how to prevent that? I heard UQ protectors can help. Should I get one that is breathable?

    Fronkey

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •