Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,465
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    OT. BB58, this is the subject where you and I cross paths most often on the forum. Hope that someday if you're ever in, or near, NJ you'll look me up so our paths can cross in real life.
    For sure. Or, maybe we will meet at a group hang some day, somewhere in between! Anyway, I've got to see you in action to see if there is any apparent reason why you- like some others- get that SS condensation, while I don't(yet)! Then maybe I can solve one of life's great mysteries! Maybe I don't produce any insensible perspiration/vapor? Who knows?
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    20* bag, PL, HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    For sure. Or, maybe we will meet at a group hang some day, somewhere in between! Anyway, I've got to see you in action to see if there is any apparent reason why you- like some others- get that SS condensation, while I don't(yet)! Then maybe I can solve one of life's great mysteries! Maybe I don't produce any insensible perspiration/vapor? Who knows?
    You know...this does raise a good point though.

    My one weekend of using the HHSS was in conjunction with using my Army ICW sleeping bag.

    If I did sweat, it surely wasn't enough to go THROUGH my sleeping bag (I do sleep in my bag, don't just use it as an TQ).

    That might explain why I didn't have any issues with condensation.

    I'm hoping to be out in my hammock this Friday night, and this time it'll be with another civilian bag that isn't nearly as thick, and probably with the HHSS on as well (temps will probably be down into the 40s). I'll have to see if there's any appreciable difference in condensation between trips.

  3. #13
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,465
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    You know...this does raise a good point though.

    My one weekend of using the HHSS was in conjunction with using my Army ICW sleeping bag.

    If I did sweat, it surely wasn't enough to go THROUGH my sleeping bag (I do sleep in my bag, don't just use it as an TQ).

    That might explain why I didn't have any issues with condensation.

    I'm hoping to be out in my hammock this Friday night, and this time it'll be with another civilian bag that isn't nearly as thick, and probably with the HHSS on as well (temps will probably be down into the 40s). I'll have to see if there's any appreciable difference in condensation between trips.

    Your sleeping bag or clothes could def soak up some sweat. That's why I weighed my MW UQ and Golight TQ after this last hang. Zero measurable weight increase, both were stuffed that morning in camp and did not come out of the dry sacks until I weighed them.


    I look forward to your report. Do you use the space blanket?
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    20* bag, PL, HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Posts
    1,168
    Yep, I used the space blanket when it was cold enough for me to use the HHSS.

    This weekend, if I do use the space blanket, it'll probably one of two options that I've got that are 'quieter' than the crinkly cheap-o ones.

    I'll let you know how things run, as well as the conditions I hang in.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    20* bag, PL, HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Posts
    1,168
    Well, I didn't end up doing any testing that would have been relevent.

    Temps only dropped down into the mid-50s, which for me is still to high to need the HHSS in any fashion.

    Slept on my 20 deg bag and with a poncho liner as a back up blankie. Plenty warm enough.

    Looks like I'll be headed to the Omaha/Indian Cave State Park group hang in a couple of weeks...will probably be testing it out then.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    20* bag, PL, HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Posts
    1,168
    So, did test this out this past weekend somewhat.

    Temps were 35 degrees both nights. First morning I didn't pay any attention for condensation, and didn't really notice any when I packed out and moved.

    Second morning, I definitely saw some small amount of condensation in the HHSS. Both nights I used the HHSS WITHOUT a SB in place, but with the undercover and underpad both in place. Both nights I had the same gear in the hammock...travel pillow, Sierra Designs 20 degree mummy bag and a poncho liner.

    Slept very comfortably both nights.

    So condensation could be an issue, but the amount was so small it had no impact on me during this past trip at least.

  7. #17
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,465
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    So, did test this out this past weekend somewhat.

    Temps were 35 degrees both nights. First morning I didn't pay any attention for condensation, and didn't really notice any when I packed out and moved.

    Second morning, I definitely saw some small amount of condensation in the HHSS. Both nights I used the HHSS WITHOUT a SB in place, but with the undercover and underpad both in place. Both nights I had the same gear in the hammock...travel pillow, Sierra Designs 20 degree mummy bag and a poncho liner.

    Slept very comfortably both nights.

    So condensation could be an issue, but the amount was so small it had no impact on me during this past trip at least.
    Great results IMO! Warm 2 nights at 35F without even the space blanket? That's about as good as you can expect, and it sounds like you could even go lower a degree or 3. Not bad at all! And obviously no problems with fine tuning adjustment, as there is not much you can adjust anyway.

    Is your bag down or synthetic and were you inside it or using as a quilt?

    But the real amazing thing is that you had minimal condensation over 2 nights with no sp.B. I have slept once or twice in a SS with no sb, at temps above 40. I got away with it at least once. But one other time, at near 45-50F and no doubt very high humidity in the Olympic Rain Forest, I woke up nice and warm next morning, but the foot of my synthetic bag/quilt was wet and the foot of the pad was soaked. ( interesting that I did not get cold anywhere). Luckily all dried quickly. I used the sb rest of the trip and had no other condensation.

    So good for you with minimal condensation and also being warm enough at near freezing. Keep us posted on your future results.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    20* bag, PL, HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Posts
    1,168
    I'm the oddball when it comes to how I use my sleeping bag in the hammock.

    I know that I'll be a lot warmer at 10pm and a lot colder at 2am.

    So for me, I spread my sleeping bag out underneath me to begin with, completely opened and unzipped. I climb in, stuff my feet into the footbox portion of it, and pull as much of the poncho liner over me as I need for comfort.

    As the night goes on and I shift sides...once it gets colder I'll grab whichever side of the sleeping bag I'm turning away from and pull it over the top of me as I shift to the other side...and use the poncho liner to fill in the gaps if needed.

    So there's sleeping bag over and under me...but it's not zipped unless it gets REALLY cold.

    My bag is an el-cheapo Alpine Design's 20 degree bag my wife bought me at Sport's Authority. Bulky...but it's warm.

    http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/m...my-bag-reviews

    Shows what it is at least.

    I'm looking forward to someday being able to afford those wonderous things made of down...

    Also looking forward to testing things out when nighttime temps in the area drop down into the 20s or teens...I'm curious about using the full blown HHSS with undercover and overcover...see if that does me any good or not.

  9. #19
    New Member ARH8792's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Orillia,ont
    Posts
    5
    that is good news to hear, I did not end up going away so I will have to wait for the spring time to test it out on my end!!

  10. #20
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,465
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by ARH8792 View Post
    that is good news to hear, I did not end up going away so I will have to wait for the spring time to test it out on my end!!
    So you didn't get to go on your trip? Well, if you are not right in a city, how about some back yard testing? (best to do that anyway, unlike my 1st night in a hammack and 1st time using a SS: deep in the wilderness, setting up near dark!)
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •