Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images

Weekend in Smokies and during first snow of the season

We were going to backpack in and hammock hang and the wife dropped a case of products on her foot so we car camped in the Smokies last week, Thurs thru Sunday at 5300 ft. We had a great hang and got to test all kinds of new gear out. I found a site with 3 trees in a tight triangle so we hung as close as together with both the OES and new Wilderness Logics Oldman Winter tarp hung together. Thurs nite the weather was chilly down to 38 degees with the wind blowing constantly about 5-10mph and we slept great with her in her SB Pro and pink Jarbridge on it and so she used my 40 degree Golite quilt and I used a 30 degree down BA Bag that really worked great as a overquilt. I used a AHE NR UQ and it was toasty all nite long as I slept great in my Warbonnet Traveler hammock.

Friday the weather all day was sunny but still about 55 degrees during the day,,late that evening it clouded over and got windy,,all nite long the wind gusted to more than 40mph,,they had wind advisories out for that nite as well,,and for the first time this season,,it spitted snow off and on all nite long,,wife still was toasty warm as she is hot natured as heck,,and I was nice and comfy as well,, The Underquilts we used from Arrowhead worked awesome as I know the wind chill was way down there.

Sat..during the day it was sunny again,,and the few that were at the campground were really talking it up about how windy it was friday nite and the first snow..but we knew,,as it was only about 50 during the day,,this nite was going to be colder..and it was,,Sat nite the wind blew off and on up to about 15mph,,and it spitted snow again,,and it got all the way down to an even 30 on my temp gauge. This time,,the wife was using the 30 degree bag I had been using and I dropped down to a down 15 degree BA bag and we both with the Jarbridge and New River UQ's were toasty all nite long again.

The Wilderness Logics Tarp and the OES Tarp never threw a stake in all the wind. We never once felt any cold spots using the new UnderQuilts from Arrowhead as the wind chill had to be in the 20's Fri and Sat. nites..and the next equipment we will be buying will be new Top Quilts in down for the future but so far,,all the equipment our suppliers on the Forum is great and works to perfection. We can't wait to hang again as we both slept like babys down to 30 and were very happy waking with a dash of snow and thin ice on top of everything Sunday morning and still super warm in all the wind on top of the mountain we camped on. Below is a few pics of the hang.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like a nice trip. That is one heck of a tarp set up too!
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    I think it’s a good idea to car camp when testing out new cold weather gear. If things don’t work out you can jump in the car and go home to regroup. Yeah, you can’t really go too far wrong if you buy from one of the suppliers talked about here on the Hammock Forums.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    I miss the smokies already. Glad you had fun.
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    Good lookin gear and very nice camp set up I like the way you inter-twined the tarps. Thanks for the report. Love the Smokies!
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    We had the 50 degree quilts, the 40 degree and just for the heck of it,,,I threw the colder stuff in as in the mountains,,you never know at this time of the year,,what mother nature is going to throw at you,,we had perfect days of sunny to partial cloudy then every evening,,it would cloud up. And we both love changes in the weather, so we got to test out alot of equipment. It was the first time for the wife to try her hammock out,, and to my amazement,,she slept like a baby in it from the first nite and I let her sleep in every morning as long as she wanted waking up each morning feeling great. She found her sweet spot right off the bat. I was super happy that she enjoyed the hammock and took to it as quickly as she did. She is sold on it and no more ground for her either..lol

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Sounds like a great weekend. I guess you were up at Balsam Mountain if you were at 5300'. Love it when it turns cooler in the fall. +1 on the neat tarp set up. Glad you both had a great time and got to try out some great gear.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like it was a good, productive trip for you and the wifey.

We are still having 90*F days, so a little snow sou ds nice!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    nice report, love the tarp setup!

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Very nice. I do like Balsam Mountain. I imagine it was not too crowded this time of year. Hope the R&R was good for the soul, and that you wife's foot is on the mend.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast